Author Topic: 2015 CGOAIA Meet Planning  (Read 18320 times)

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: 2015 CGOAIA Meet Planning
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 02:20:13 PM »
What about having a meet in Il.thats about the middle for everyone in Iowa and Minnesota.We have the Chain-o-lakes  here with a nice state camp ground and boat ramp.Plenty of places to tie up boats and swim  or places to eat all around the lakes and channels.There is an Island with a bar that has boat races every Thursday,and bands.Maybe an idea.

The middle of everyone in Iowa & MN isn't IL!  HA!   Besides...not really an Iowa meet if its 150+ miles into IL...

Plus, trying to find a place that's reasonable for the NE group since they outnumbered the rest of us...if you'd like to host an IL meet by all means!  But the Iowa meet isn't going to be in IL.

1990 Sierra 1700

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 02:47:00 PM »
You know with views like this at Red Rock

I vote we hold the Iowa meet there!
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 03:15:06 PM »
Red Rock Lake is nice.

I'm game...easy drive for everyone...much easier to get to than Rathbun.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 03:27:45 PM »
And just to temper your excitement Brandon...that picture is like the 1 Red Rock.  :D  It's basically Rathbun, a little father North, a little busier (especially on a weekend), and without a cool resort to eat at...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 05:25:08 PM by dorelse »
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 04:02:53 PM »
And just to temper your excitement Brandon...picture is like the 1 Red Rock.  :D  It's basically Rathbun, a little father North, a little busier (especially on a weekend), and without a cool resort to eat at...

doesn't really matter to me. as I stated before I like Rathbun and may be all we need is a new campground to try.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2014, 08:17:41 PM »
Talked to a few people, the feeling is that Rathbun gives us the most open water (ie. least busiest) to play with...and that was definitely true this weekend as well.

We had a couple drive down from Des Moines to meet Red even...and the regular campers know we're there...so we're going to stick with it.  We might move a bit North though for some added wind protection, and to be closer to the bathrooms in case one is out of commission again.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline iowa cv-23

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2014, 09:16:14 PM »
just wondering what everyone thinks about voting on a location and creating a poll for the 2015 Iowa rally? I am somewhat interested in Red Rock, and it sounded like some folks are interested in Okoboji....just seeing what the thoughts are on moving to a more "democratic process"?

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2014, 09:19:08 PM »
just wondering what everyone thinks about voting on a location and creating a poll for the 2015 Iowa rally? I am somewhat interested in Red Rock, and it sounded like some folks are interested in Okoboji....just seeing what the thoughts are on moving to a more "democratic process"?

Fine by me...you want a poll?

Rathbun, Red Rock, Okoboji? 

The only problem with polls is that what ever wins...that means those voting for it need to go!
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline iowa cv-23

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2014, 09:46:33 PM »

Fine by me...you want a poll?

Rathbun, Red Rock, Okoboji? 

The only problem with polls is that what ever wins...that means those voting for it need to go!

Good point, I'm not sure how many members our group has & there have only been a handful of members that have attended the Iowa rallys (just an observation not a "why haven't there been more folks at the Iowa Rallys?!?")...so should the voting be limited to those that are honestly thinking about the 2015 Rally (&how would you even police that?), or limit the voting to those that have been there in the past?

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2014, 11:23:31 AM »
Talked to a few people, the feeling is that Rathbun gives us the most open water (ie. least busiest) to play with...and that was definitely true this weekend as well.

We had a couple drive down from Des Moines to meet Red even...and the regular campers know we're there...so we're going to stick with it.  We might move a bit North though for some added wind protection, and to be closer to the bathrooms in case one is out of commission again.

Just some more food for thought on why we should go back to Rathbun. With the south bath house down I walked several times to the north bath house. And me being me I will just stop and talk to people. There were several people I talked with that knew we were down there and said they enjoyed looking at our boats every year and how it was always so much fun to see our group there enjoying the lake.

So, we are known to have a presence at Honey Creek State Park by the people that frequent it after just 3 yearly meets. I would say that is a good thing and we need to keep the meet there and increase our presence.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2014, 12:26:15 PM »
Yes the water/bathroom thing was a drag, the tent spots arnt perfectly flat, its a long drive to get there, and it is a long haul up and down the hill when beached.
there are going to be drawbacks wherever we meet, my 2 cents...
Rathbun is a great lake to run on when its not too windy, Friday was perfect, and only the second time i have had the chance to burn an entire tank of gas this year.
that alone was totally worth the trip, and connecting with you folks is great.
wherever the meet takes place we will plan to be there.
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2014, 03:13:18 PM »
My current thinking is this...ideally, a lake that is relatively unused, is easy to access & launch from, and gives us the ability to put the hammer down, and beach when we want to.

For the most part, Rathbun is that lake. 

Brandon had the idea of moving up away from the beach by the entrance, flat campsites & easy boat parking along the road, and both bathrooms/shower stations are nearby if one breaks again.

It fits the bill probably better than any of the others...so I'm for going back.  I'll most likely be in a camper rental next year.  The general says she's a go if we do that...so, there ya go. 
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2014, 03:21:43 PM »
My current thinking is this...ideally, a lake that is relatively unused, is easy to access & launch from, and gives us the ability to put the hammer down, and beach when we want to.

For the most part, Rathbun is that lake. 

Brandon had the idea of moving up away from the beach by the entrance, flat campsites & easy boat parking along the road, and both bathrooms/shower stations are nearby if one breaks again.

It fits the bill probably better than any of the others...so I'm for going back.  I'll most likely be in a camper rental next year.  The general says she's a go if we do that...so, there ya go.
Same here!
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Fawkes

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2014, 10:03:15 PM »
I vote we keep going to Rathbun Lake.
Amber Hain