Author Topic: CGOAMN anual meet, early arrival ideas  (Read 20928 times)

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
CGOAMN anual meet, early arrival ideas
« on: April 07, 2015, 12:52:35 PM »
I will say the run from t.I. to the kinni is beautiful for those that have never made the run. Amber and I did it 2 years ago and plan on making that run sometime during the meet this year. We may even go further, I really want to see the swing span rail bridge further up stream.
we routinely make that run from Hudson to the cove on weekdays, it does take nearly a tank of gas for me if running all out but it is awesome, just another half hour will get you to Stillwater where the new bridge construction is vary interesting, but kind of a long no wake zone. last year when the water was high you could touch the old lift bridge from the boat while sitting.
it just gets better as you go further north, but that could be a bit much for 1 day.
how much PTO do you guys got to burn ?
head up river Wednesday, all the way to the arcola bridge, head back to stillwater, eat and drink, camp at the park on the WI side, get back to TI Thursday afternoon.
ambitious plan... i kno
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: CGOAMN anual meet, early arrival ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 01:20:28 PM »
More maps ... LOL

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 02:08:11 PM »
I will say the run from t.I. to the kinni is beautiful for those that have never made the run. Amber and I did it 2 years ago and plan on making that run sometime during the meet this year. We may even go further, I really want to see the swing span rail bridge further up stream.
we routinely make that run from Hudson to the cove on weekdays, it does take nearly a tank of gas for me if running all out but it is awesome, just another half hour will get you to Stillwater where the new bridge construction is vary interesting, but kind of a long no wake zone. last year when the water was high you could touch the old lift bridge from the boat while sitting.
it just gets better as you go further north, but that could be a bit much for 1 day.
how much PTO do you guys got to burn ?
head up river Wednesday, all the way to the arcola bridge, head back to stillwater, eat and drink, camp at the park on the WI side, get back to TI Thursday afternoon.
ambitious plan... i kno

That sounds like a lot of fun Joe! i will run it by amber. We are taking the whole week of the meet off. Leaving central city on monday and probably end up  at t.i. on wednesday or thursday. but we could schedule to arrive on Wednesday if amber wants to do this.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 02:10:49 PM »
More maps ... LOL

Wow that is a long way to the arcola bridge. May have to invest in a bimini top for Phoenix to keep Amber from looking like a lobster!  ;D
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 02:32:10 PM »
about 42 miles on the water, not sure we have ever gone that far in one day yet.
though the trip to mpls with Terry and Nancy must have been close last year.
Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 02:48:30 PM »
Hey Gregg, can you add the new bridge construction no wake to your map too. I think it's about a mile long.
Also, The no wake in stillwater itself is just close to the shore by the marina so you can tear by there! There is another one between Stillwater and the Arcola bridge.

The St. Croix north of Stillwater is definitely the most scenic river area in the twin cities but it is not very well marked, shallow, and easy to get into trouble.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifL17TDtOWU
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 02:54:54 PM »

The St. Croix north of Stillwater is definitely the most scenic river area in the twin cities but it is not very well marked, shallow, and easy to get into trouble.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifL17TDtOWU

I thought some one mentioned that it is rather shallow around the Arcola bridge. If my memory serves me correct someone lost a drive on an I/O there last year.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 03:12:01 PM »
When I'm up there with Jason we go fast, when alone i go slow cuz i don't know it all that well though navitronics helps
Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 03:18:05 PM »
" I thought some one mentioned that it is rather shallow around the Arcola bridge "

It gets shallow just above Stillwater, in some spots, you can see bottom even in main channel ...
I have never been beyond the Arcola bridge.

T.I. to Arcola bridge and back would be an all day cruise, or close to it.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 03:26:56 PM »
We have done this trip many times ...

Put in at Lions levee (St.Paul Park) travel down to the Hasting dam, turn around and head up to Ford dam, then head back to Lions levee.
All day trip that takes more fuel then my tank will hold ( maybe 20 gal. total ).
Dave know how many miles it is.
T.I. to Arcola and back looks to be a long trip.
Plenty of gas stops ... so no need to worry.
Can get VERY ruff between Prescott & Stillwater ... Lottsa BIG boats up there !
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 03:44:56 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 03:41:12 PM »
" Hey Gregg, can you add the new bridge construction no wake to your map too. I think it's about a mile long. "

I haven't been up that far for two seasons now, last time they were just pouring footing maybe 10 or 20 feet above water line.
Is "No Wake" from Oak park heights to Stillwater ?

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 03:59:08 PM »
We have done this trip many times ...

Put in at Lions levee (St.Paul Park) travel down to the Hasting dam, turn around and head up to Ford dam, then head back to Lions levee.
All day trip that takes more fuel then my tank will hold ( maybe 20 gal. total ).

That sounds like a fun trip also. I have seen the Hastings dam from the down stream side so maybe just a run to the ford dam and back to lions levee? that may be something we would be interested in also for a wednesday run after setting up camp.  there are a lot of options to choose from, but we have plenty of time to pick one!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 04:09:42 PM by 75starflight »
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 04:16:22 PM »
You would have to go thru the Hastings lock to get to pool two ( Miss. river between Hastings dam and Ford dam ) and then back thru it to get back to T.I.
That is why we go from Lions Levee to Hastings dam to Ford dam and back ... No locks to go thru ...
There is NO boat traffic also, or very little ...

There are no locks between T.I. and Stillwater / Arcola bridge ... BUT LOTTSA BIG boat traffic !

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 06:42:56 PM »
Not so bad on a week day
Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Terry_Curran

• Donate members
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 08:44:08 PM »
What's another 2 miles?
Forgot, the mileage on navionics is one way. So round trip was just over 80
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 07:11:23 PM by SSV-191 »

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 09:45:51 PM »
I would love to see that Alcoa bridge!  Could we have a Wednesday tow party to the St. Croix and head up from there perhaps?  Dunno where exactly?

I have a lot of work to do on my boat before I'll trust it enough to do a run like that!  (Tank is out for repair now!)
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 09:53:38 PM »
You could trailer up to Hudson and make it a short trip ...

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 10:17:20 PM »
I would love to see that Alcoa bridge!  Could we have a Wednesday tow party to the St. Croix and head up from there perhaps?  Dunno where exactly?

I have a lot of work to do on my boat before I'll trust it enough to do a run like that!  (Tank is out for repair now!)

I agree with Doran towing would be better than running at full distance on Wednesday.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 10:08:35 AM »
" Hey Gregg, can you add the new bridge construction no wake to your map too. I think it's about a mile long. "

I haven't been up that far for two seasons now, last time they were just pouring footing maybe 10 or 20 feet above water line.
Is "No Wake" from Oak park heights to Stillwater ?

Towers are done. They are starting the bridge deck now. No wake zone is 1/2 mile both up and downstream of the construction site.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2015, 11:30:33 AM »
With the dry winter with little snow, unless there is a lot of rain at the beginning of August, I would not venture much past Stillwater.

Any boat trips on the St. Croix should be done on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday. Weekends on the St. Croix will be crowded with big boats.
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop