Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: '89 Glastron Carlson 23CSS Project and Repair
« Last post by fireman24mn on January 22, 2018, 02:17:19 PM »
I agree with the design of the stringer layout, it wasn't set up for any strength. I made my stringers one piece from front to back and also tied them into the cross braces. Last I added another small center stringer under the floor of the cuddy. If you look a lot of the 23s have a crack in the hull on the bottom where the front buddy floor meets the bulk head for the main floor.  Good luck there is a lot of wood in those boats.
Classified / Wanted to Buy / Re: GCOTD
« Last post by Hyperacme on January 22, 2018, 01:22:58 PM »
150hp mercury motor (bethel)
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/boa/d/150hp-mercury-motor/6468277820.html

I have a 1967 150 hp merc new starter rungs great comes with free boat with no leaks has power tilt and trim 1500 b/o or trade. No low ballers or tire kickers serious replys only.
General Discussion / Re: '89 Glastron Carlson 23CSS Project and Repair
« Last post by RedOctober89 on January 22, 2018, 01:04:47 PM »
So I got a fair bit done this weekend. Pulled up the plywood in the cuddy area, the floor in the cuddy, and pried and cut away a lot of the fiberglass. Looking at the design of this boat, it doesn't look very good to me, along with the fact it looked like it was built on a Friday afternoon. The keel was made up of 2 parts that didn't even travel the length of the hull. It was completely rotten anyways, and the fiberglass laid over top looked like it never bonded well to the hull, I was able to pry the sheets off with a screwdriver. I know these CV 23's are known to be weak where the cuddy starts and I can see why. I also don't understand why the main stringers are not attached to the transom, or even the engine beams.. Planning on laminating a second stringer to the existing ones and adding new fiberglass, along with a new much heavier keel. But after removing a lot of the existing fiberglass and finding wood rot, might turn into a bigger / full rebuild project.

Also found out the engine beams have started to rot.

The waters where we boat can get rough rather quickly and I don't want to worry about the hull while trying to navigate!
General Discussion / Re: In the water by April???
« Last post by still_fishin on January 22, 2018, 12:20:05 PM »
Wow, how much time did you have in the stringer and floor work?  It looks like I could do the stringers with the seacast product for under 300, cant imagine it would take anywheres close to 5 gallons of product.  Do you have any photos here on the site or ones to share of what you did?  I think I might be into something very similar as to yours.
I'll look for my parts lists from when I did the work.  As far as the thread on this site,  I don't think I posted much about it.  I think it was before I was active here.  I have all the pictures from the rebuild I can post if you want.  My 18 was my first rebuild that was done at my uncles shop under his guidance.  He does this for a living.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

General Discussion / It's a little early ... but ..
« Last post by Hyperacme on January 22, 2018, 12:16:16 PM »
Happy Birthday Jason !
« Last post by Hyperacme on January 22, 2018, 12:14:47 PM »
Friscoboater ... Some one can link ... has a CVX18 build on YouTube.
One of our member has the CVX he rebuilt.
CGOA would have some builds, but missing pictures ...
www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/index.php
« Last post by C512Jim on January 22, 2018, 11:07:00 AM »
Thanks Greg, appreciate you looking.  Jim.
« Last post by Hyperacme on January 22, 2018, 10:07:07 AM »
I did a quick search for Tim's CVX18 thread, but couldn't find it ...
Actually saw that one this morning earlier and showed to my son, figured might be a nice boat till he found the ideal one he wants in the 1980s.  From the photo looks to be maybe soft floor.  Thanks for helping.
« Last post by C512Jim on January 22, 2018, 07:24:04 AM »
Wow, how much time did you have in the stringer and floor work?  It looks like I could do the stringers with the seacast product for under 300, cant imagine it would take anywheres close to 5 gallons of product.  Do you have any photos here on the site or ones to share of what you did?  I think I might be into something very similar as to yours.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10