Author Topic: Local Marine Dealer Going out of Business  (Read 4773 times)

Offline MarkS

Local Marine Dealer Going out of Business
« on: August 11, 2010, 06:32:29 PM »
One of the main resources I've used for all things boat related for years here in the Atlanta area has called it quits.  He's got most of the boat inventory sold, but still has a good bit of parts department and specialty shop tools left to liquidate.  If anybody is in the Atlanta area the next three days, it would definitely be worth checking out!  Give Junior a call if you're interested, he's good people.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/tls/1892041520.html

PS - I missed a STEAL on a "project boat" Glastron being pulled out of the "used boat lot" by mere minutes the other day!  Just the way my luck's been running lately......
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: Local Marine Dealer Going out of Business
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 07:35:02 PM »
Had problems with link Mark ...
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/tls/1892041520.html

Are ya going, just to look around ... LOL

Offline MarkS

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 08:28:03 PM »
Thanks Gregg, and yes I sure am!  I've been in there quite a few times, but not recently.  Not sure what all is left, but I can't pass up the possibility of a good deal.  It'll be kinda sad though, he was the last decent dealer left in the south metro area.....
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 08:51:42 PM »
It is sad when any business goes out of business. I helped a business get started 15 years ago in the accounting area and yearly did the year end adjustments, financial statements, and tax returns. Now they are out of business, and I really share the heartache of the owner whose dream is shattered, who is burdened with the debt and bank loans, whose image of a successful business owner is tainted with failure, and who is too old to start another career. 

I e-mail our Company's advertisement to hundreds of commercial and residencial builders, concrete contractors, and real estate management companies, and many of the e-mails are undeliverable. Have they gone out of business too?

The economy is taking its toll on many fine businesses, and hardworking, talented, and skilled people.  If you have a job and can pay your bills, be thankful, because many people would like to go to work each day, but have no place to go.

David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline V153

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 04:18:08 PM »
It's more than sad David it's obscene. Just last year Wall (Mart?) Street paid it's hot shot brokers 20 billion, yes that's 20 billion dollars in cash bonuses. Thought they were broke?! Oh wait a minute they're not broke. The criminals in Washington just gave them $700 Billion of OUR money.

It's terrifying to run a small business these days lemme tell ya. 'Specially when ya look around & see other small businesses dropping like flies. To be perfectly honest I'm barely keepin the lights on. This time of year is notoriously bad but I've grossed a grand total of $140 so far this week. What the ...?! (You know yer having a bad week when even the telemarketers don't call ...)

Ah well, what're ya gonna do. Sigh ...    I'd say one of these Wallshington pricks swinging from the nearest tree or lampost would be a good start?   
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline MarkS

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 06:45:28 PM »
Well as promised, a buddy from work (LoneStar lummie owner) and I went by there at lunch time.  There was NOBODY in the main showroom or parts room, not much stuff left for sale.  It seems another dealer bought a lot of the inventory, just some odds and ends left.  I sat and talked to Junior, the owner for half an hour or so reminiscing about the "good old days" while my buddy looked around.  I asked him about the Glastron I missed out on recently, he told me the guy just bought it for the trailer!  Was going to junk the boat to get it off the trailer.  (My hopes went thru the roof.)  He then went on to say the guy called him yesterday asking about where to get parts for the 'tron, seems he did some checking and found out he had something worth keeping there.  (Sad face returns there.)  Seems he's been bitten by the Glastron bug, so I sure can't blame him for that.  LOL

We walked back to the shop, the old Merc Guru was sweeping and arranging all his prized goodies for display.  All the OMC stuff was already gone, it's much harder to come by around here than the Merc stuff.  He did have a killer Merc 115 Tower of Power 6 with a 135 power head on it that he had personally built and tweaked, but wanted $2500 for it and wasn't interested in dealing a dime on it.....oh well.  He did have a lot of specialty Merc tools, props (including cleavers, choppers, racing)  and stuff, but of no use to me nowdays.  Definitely down heartening to see them close but that's the way things are these days I guess.

Need to take the Starflite out this weekend to get cheered up.  Looking forward to getting my 09 meet DVD's soon too, got a hunch that'll help as well.  Hope you guys have a great time this year, I'll be thinking of ya!  (I'll be there next year, if there's ANY way possible.)
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 07:12:07 AM »
Doug

How would you choose to string up? I'd much rather do that to the recipients of those obscene bonus's. Those kind of people have no idea what life is like for the average schmoo.

Maybe some tax cuts for the rich would get things going.  >:(
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline V153

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 06:51:24 PM »
The 09 DVDs'll definitely cheer ya up Mark. Purty cool. And the interviews & "special features" are even cooler. Hope ya recieve em soon. You'll like em.

Who do you string up first is a good question Ross. How bout the banker that's paying you squat on your investments yet still collecting 5-6% on yer mortgage?

Nah. Don't tax the rich they'll just move more of their money elswhere. Paraguay for instance. Ironicly my Mom was just in Paraguay visiting an AFS family we hosted years ago. They're wealthy of course so I wasn't too worried about her. But she was shocked by the hard line between rich & poor. Rich folks live in walled compounds, poor people live on the street. "Middle Class". What middle class?!

Dunno if Paraguay ever had a 'middle class' but I suspect at one time they did. If Americans don't start waking up, our so-called middle class will be gone soon too. 

'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline MarkS

Re: Glastron Classic '09 DVDs
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 09:38:14 PM »
Doug, they came in the mail today, thanks Brian!  With everything you guys have going on getting ready for the big meet, for you to take time to send these off to me is greatly appreciated.  I watched most of the first one, sitting in the Starflite, in my garage.  (It has been raining and stormy here since Fri afternoon.)  One of the Granddaughters snuck out and took a pic of me with her phone sitting in the boat watching the video, ran in and told my wife "Poppy really is addicted!"

GREAT stuff on the DVDs, it's so cool to put faces with the good people on here.  (I know there are some pics here, but this is much better.)    I'm sure going to do my best to be there next year one way or another!
Mark
1978 SSV-176