Author Topic: Boyesen Reeds:  (Read 10158 times)

Offline Laine73GT160

Boyesen Reeds:
« on: September 16, 2010, 11:12:11 AM »
Like? Dislike?

Offline Hotwired

• The Ship
Re: Boyesen Reeds:
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 11:59:20 AM »
Looks like a great upgrade... never tried them but may have to put it in my dirt bike.
.. it is what it is ... and that is how it should be!
Miss Mayberry - 1964 Saberflite
The Ship - 1979 CV-27
Canon Ball Eyes - 1976 CV-16ssV8
Da ProJect Bote - 1977 CV-23
It Is What It Is...... CVX20

Offline Laine73GT160

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 12:58:17 PM »
Have used in all my dirt bikes.  Bolt on instant throat response, and smoother running, recreational bikes to the Fantic trials bike that plased third in the world nationals in AZ for the 35year and older old guy rider class.  The two old guys that beat me were both from Italy and former would champions as teens.  Yes use them in you dirt bike.
The boat performance and race forums have positive reviews.

Any one tried them in outboard boats?

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 01:25:53 PM »
They are mainly used in the upper horsepower outboards and have alot of advantages. From magazine articles I have read, they always increase the horsepower, but they are not cheap to install, parts and labor considered.  

http://www.boyesen.com/cwo/OUTBOARD/FAQ

http://www.boyesen.com/cwo/OUTBOARD

http://www.bobsmachine.com/Products/boysen_main.cfm
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 04:22:57 PM »
There was a thread on this on scream&fly about a half a year ago or so... Testing was done by a reputable high performance outboard shop, under very strict tollerances, with 3 or 4 brands, and if I remember correctly, the brand that performed the best was from a marine machine shop (forget the name) and it made like 3 more horsepower at around 7k or 8k rpm, on a motor pushing close to 300 hp. Their suggestion was replace them if they are in need of replacing, with whatever brand you choose. Might be worth checking out before spending the money trying to get a performance gain.

I do know alot of people swear by them in dirtbikes, not sure why they make more of a difference there.
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

74 Carlson

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 08:08:49 PM »
Try to find the carbon fiber ones and there not that much more $. They perform a little better than the standerd after market performance reeds and they will last longer to. You might have to rejet the carbs cause the performance reeds flow more air, so if you don't rejet you might end up running to lean and burn down the engine. I know someone that can install them at half the labor rate of the dealership and get It dialed in on the jetting too.

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 08:55:42 PM »
sorry guys, I probably should have found this first before posting, turns out the difference was much slimmer than I thought. I followed this thread because I was also interested in what kind of difference there might be. the big difference in the results is where they used modified reed cages (but even there less than 1hp between brands) probably something most of us may not be interested in, as alot of the boats here are pleasure and not full-out race hulls. the test was performed by Eagle One Performance, and Chris Carson of Carson's Marine stated in numerous other threads that jet changes are unnecessary, as the reeds only flow the mixed air/fuel charge better, not just air.

I don't know how to post the link, but can tell you where to find it... I copied and pasted this, hope it helps:

Here are the results of our test. Again this test was for peak horsepower at 7500 RPM @ the crankshaftWe made 3 test run ups on each set up and the result is the average of all three in corrected horsepower after factoring in Temperature, Humidity and Barometric pressure...

Test # 1. Stock reed cages with stock steel reeds.
242.05 HP

Test # 2. Stock cages with Chris arson .020 Sport reeds.
242.18 HP

Test # 3. Stock cages with Chris Carson .025 Sport reeds.
242.12 HP

Test # 4. Cut cages with Chris Carson .020 "Drag" High Performance reeds
253.44 HP

Test # 5. Cut cages with Chris Carson .025 High Performance reeds.
253.40 HP

Test # 6. Cut cages with Chris Carson .026 High Performance reeds.
253.41 HP

Test # 7. Cut cages wuith Boysen # 267E reeds.

Test # 8. Cut cages with Tony Doukas .020 High Performance reeds.
253.43 HP

Test # 9 cut cages,Mercury(not actually sure if these are from Merc) Carbon fiber .020 High Performance reeds
253.427 HP

'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Laine73GT160

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 11:05:22 PM »
No interest in blueprinting and balancing an engine for 7000+RPM.

But I would over the long Minnesota winter remove and clean the carbs, intake, Gasket match, and gently port and polish any ruff casting, and bolt on the Boyesen Reeds.  They are about $140 and are a two stage, soft and stiff carbon fiber design.  The stock reeds are one peace stainless steel, seal stiff, or if soft flutter, gum up and stick.  Your right they work fine and last the life of the motors.

Those pro numbers you posted showed 10hp over stock, with 1hp between brands on heavily modified 7000+RPM engines (not my interest I still count as a pleasure boater).

But if a $140 bolt on dose any of the good it did on other 2 cycle engines I have owned I may try it.  Easy start, smooth idle, and the best and instantly noticeable thing throttle response/torque from idle to WOT.  They clam a little hp and mileage on a stock motor but I would do it for the smooth throttle response.

Good thought, if I do a few little time proven hotrod tricks that improve air flow in it would be worth checking the air /fuel mixture.

Any thoughts on getting the exhaust out a little more efficiently without going crazy? 

The stock motor probably is designed for some back pressure.  Bob?s machine shop sells a $40 exhaust plate for my Johnson with two large removable plugs for less restrictive flow.  Altering exhaust especially if it increases noise is probably illegal.  But really how many of you have stock mufflers on your cars or trucks.

I love the ideal and talk about cones.  But that?s 1 to 5 hundred $ for 1 to 2 mph.

I am not trying to make our 40 year old boats all racers.  I just want to share Ideals.  And many of you have tried thing and know what works and what does not.

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 05:59:20 AM »
Yeah, it would be interesting to see a test on a stock, average hp motor to see what kind of difference it makes throughout the rpm range. Even without performance gains, it may improve the way it runs.

I've always been curious about these, because over the years I've seen alot of people use them in dirtbikes to replace old worn pieces, so there was no way to compare them to good condition stock. I'd be curious to see if anyone tries them here, what kind of changes it makes in the overall temperment of the motor. If it's smoother on a pleasure boat, it may be worth it if that's what you're looking for.
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 05:17:33 AM »
Bass and Walleye Boats would buy an old used performance boat, say a Bullet, with a tired engine and modify it in stages and publish the cost and the increases in MPH after each stage of modification. They ended up with a boat that was 20 miles per hour faster (from 68 to 88 MPH) But consider the costs before proceeding, in terms of cost per mile increase, reliability, and resale value if you ever intend to sell the boat and motor.  Also you should be able to do the work yourself and have professional help nearby.

BWB modified a 1985 Bullet 19-footer with a 1992 Johnson GT200 outboard and the results as follows:

Bass and Walleye Boat Project Budget Basser Part I:   http://www.bwbmag.com/output.cfm?ID=1290691

Bass and Walleye Boat project Budget Basser Part II:   http://www.bwbmag.com/output.cfm?ID=1290745

Bass and Walleye Boat project Budget Basser Part III:   http://www.bwbmag.com/output.cfm?ID=1238419

Bass and Walleye Boast project Budget Basser Part IV: http://www.bwbmag.com/output.cfm?ID=1252549

Bass and Walleye Boat project Budget Basser Part V: http://www.bwbmag.com/output.cfm?ID=1282501

Bass and Walleye Boat project Budget Basser Part VI: http://www.bwbmag.com/output.cfm?ID=1388953

"As purchased, the Bullet/Johnson combo attained a top speed of 68.1 mph at 5120 rpm. With the bottom repairs, blueprinting, solid mounts and modified gearcase, we hit a best speed of 77.2 mph at 5850 rpm."

"The Boyesen reeds also helped us break the elusive 80 mph mark, as we hit a best of 80.3 at 6050 rpm"

"With the EFI system installed and tuned, we hit a best of 85.2 mph at 6450 rpm."

"It?s important to note that, so far, we?ve performed all the labor in this exercise. To have someone else do it (with hourly charges ranging from $50 to $90) would add at least another $3000 or more to the tab, and we?d be over our $15K budget. This story has been aimed at those who can do much of this work themselves with only minimal help from professionals."
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 05:26:11 AM by David »
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 02:00:17 PM »
David... Good info! Thanks, that kinda satisfies my curiousity about them. Seems to improve the running characteristics like Laine was saying, but not a bolt-on hp part, which I always wondered about. Besides smoother running and idle, seems like it might be good in the midrange for those of us whose boats have to also do "family" duty like tubing, skiing, etc.

Laine, you mentioned cones... I know Olered and others have had success with them for keeping a good bite with the prop cornering and planing, especially in raised motors. Does sound expensive for little speed, but might be a solution for some who are experiencing those issues.
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline terry

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 05:03:48 PM »
run the reeds,i have them in my motor(johnson)and i can tell a big change in idle,smoother starts,better holeshot.
terry/sandee - 1978 cvx 16 deluxe-modified 2000 100hp johnson.78 cvx16-140 mercury.87 stratos vt rocket 225 Yamaha v-max.

Offline Laine73GT160

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 05:30:37 PM »
Dave
Great info and interesting to read.
The race crowed are sometimes secretive about what works and what does not.  And there are only interested in WOT not reliable, start, run, and mileage.  

I know we all like to tinker and tune a little on our boats.  Some of us more than others, and winter is approaching.  We pleasure boaters need reliable, well handling, cost efficient hotrod options.

Hope members keep sharing; I do not know the mechanics in the club but please jump in.  We all dream of speed but reliable, handling, mpg, and cost are just as important when thinking pleasure boating.

Things I have learned:  I am a believer in seafoam.  It is beter to keep my boat motor clean than just screw in new spark pluge every so often (DAH). It dose note cure all but old auto mechanics/farmers  I talked to say they love it and have seen it unfreeze and save motors that have note run in years.  Clean stuck rings, pistons, bearings, and valves change oil and save the expensive of a motor tear down.  I have an old truck I drive once a year, that has sticky valves and I know it?s from the carbon on the valve stems.  1or2 cans of seafoam could prevent a hole in one of my pistons and save me the cost of tearing the motor down.  That?s almost too good to believe.

Offline Laine73GT160

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 05:34:23 PM »
run the reeds,i have them in my motor(johnson)and i can tell a big change in idle,smoother starts,better holeshot.
Yah Terry