Author Topic: Ski pylon for CVX 16  (Read 9120 times)

Offline wiliermdb

Ski pylon for CVX 16
« on: December 06, 2010, 06:45:48 PM »
OK. Need all the experts on here to pin down this ski pylon for me if at all possible.

This is on an "85 CVX 16 that is outside of Houston, TX.  I emailed the owner and in the event he has no idea, I thought I'd ask the experts here. Surely somebody has seen one.

OK. Let the information roll.

I'm toying with the idea of buying this boat. Decisions, decisions. I have an opening under the carport. Nothing wrong with a two CVX household.

Offline Glastron_GT160

Re: Ski pylon for CVX 16
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 08:12:15 PM »
Nice boat.  Ski pylon looks like a custom fabrication to me.  I like the way it tucks onto the splashwell, and allows full access to the rear seats, and access on the back deck from the water.  It'd be a lot stronger than the single post options, that's fer sure.

Offline 84carlson

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 08:29:11 PM »
I think it was custom made; I purchased my Casad 25 years ago and cut it down to fit the Carlson.  The only problem I see with the one in the picture is it doesn't look like it comes out easily; I can pop my bar in an out in a few seconds.

Joe

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 08:38:28 PM »
I was thinking my kids on a tube would rip that right out...but...tough to tell with one picture...hopefully its reinforced well.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Glastron_GT160

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 09:15:17 PM »
I was thinking my kids on a tube would rip that right out...but...tough to tell with one picture...hopefully its reinforced well.

Always a good idea to tow inflatables/tubes with the transom eyes if you have them.  This puts the rope closer to the water.  My cousin's plastic tow hook (new) broke when a rider fell and the tube flipped and 'grabbed' the water hard.  The force broke the plastic rope hook in two pieces and what was left came rocketing at light speed along with the rope towards the passengers in the boat (hooked on ski pylon).  His passenger (daughter) that was the rearward facing spotter has her glasses broken, but luckily she wasn't seriously injured.   This doesn't happen with ski/wakeboard ropes but those forces on the tubes are much higher.  Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 09:17:09 PM by Glastron_GT160 »

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 09:23:59 PM »

Always a good idea to tow inflatables/tubes with the transom eyes if you have them.  This puts the rope closer to the water.  My cousin's plastic tow hook (new) broke when a rider fell and the tube flipped and 'grabbed' the water hard.  The force broke the plastic rope hook in two pieces and what was left came rocketing at light speed along with the rope towards the passengers in the boat (hooked on ski pylon).  His passenger (daughter) that was the rearward facing spotter has her glasses broken, but luckily she wasn't seriously injured.   This doesn't happen with ski/wakeboard ropes but those forces on the tubes are much higher.  Just my 2 cents.

I don't want to get off thread topic, but towing tubes with the rope low has always been bad, very bad from my experience.  I've had tubes submarine on the kids, or the tow rope grabs the wake causing a bad whiplash effect when it clears.  Not fun.  I get mine up like the boat pictured.  Keeps everything free & clear, and the tube in a 'nose up' attitude.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline wiliermdb

Re: Ski pylon for CVX 16 (mystery solved)
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 06:04:27 AM »
Well. One part of the mystery is solved. The owner of the boat emailed and stated that the ski pylon was dealer installed when he originally bought the boat. Glastron obviously had a supplier for these.   I've contacted the dealer that mine was sold through to see if they have any info on one.

The owner states that he's pulled skiers since the boat was new and never had an issue with it. Solid as a rock and not one crack in the glass where it mounts. It's backed with 1/8 inch steel plates like those used for the motor bolts.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 09:14:37 AM »
Should work just fine. I am sure the wall thickness of that vertical pipe is thick enough to make up for the lack of support up top. If it's lasted this long, it will be fine.

beautiful boat!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Eric_Michael

• '83 CVX-16 / 175 HP
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 03:02:06 PM »
The pylon look pretty familiar to me!

-Eric

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 09:25:01 PM »
OK. I need (want) a pylon like this.  If anyone knows where one might be or gets any leads on one by March or April please let me know.

Eric, 

Is the upper section removable?  That is one good looking pylon.

Offline Eric_Michael

• '83 CVX-16 / 175 HP
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 02:22:12 PM »
Is the upper section removable?  That is one good looking pylon.

It looks like it should be, but it isn't.  The upper section is clearly telescoped into the bottom section.  I have always assumed it is welded in place further down.

Thinking it through, the area with the maximum stress will be the lower part of the pylon.  The 'lever' is pulling the hardest there.  It is possible they designed the upper part to fit inside the lower part to increase the overall strength.

-Eric