Author Topic: another Carlson in the driveway... opinions PLEASE!!!!  (Read 30433 times)

Offline wexrocks

another Carlson in the driveway... opinions PLEASE!!!!
« on: December 09, 2010, 08:30:06 PM »
Okay, so I ended up with ANOTHER Carlson. It's a '72 CV-19 that was originally a jet, and is now gutted of the complete powertrain and interior. All that remains inside is the engine cover and under-dash console, and some odds and ends. No helm, no gauges, no seats, etc.

As far as the outside, the horn is missing, otherwise all seems to be there... emblems, all aluminum trim, rub rail, cleats, windshield (not great) and all windshield trim, exhaust tips, etc.

I originally went to get this boat for the trailer (for the Intimidator) and because I wanted to explore the possibilities. I will be honest, and this is only a matter of personal preference, but jet drives just are not my thing. I do however LOVE the CV's. So... it is clear that my options are this...

1. Keep the boat and convert it to outboard (not realistic as I have other Carlsons that need much attention!)

2. Sell it as a whole to a member who would restore it, or part it, or use their boat as a donor for this one.

3. Strip it, part it out to members, and, well, we all know what happens next...

I know the second option is not necessarily the best to present here, as most of the members are not close enough to me here in PA to make that a reality. But, I posted this here because it's my favorite "hangout", also to present the opportunity here first, AND because I respect the opinion of this group as a whole.

So, I'll post some pics, and any and all opinions and suggestions are welcome!

Hyperacme, maybe you could do something with the size of these pics, I'm not good at this...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 08:38:12 PM by wexrocks »
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
Re: another Carlson in the driveway... opinions PLEASE!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 09:49:43 PM »
Hey Steve ... my opinion ain't worth to some, but here it is .. chop about 4" off the bottom of the windshield, set it back down in the frame, lose the top mounts off the rails and mount them to the hull with a bracket like the GT's, build in a new transom and fit it with a Mercruiser Gen II and build you a 350 Chevy with about 400hp and Go Play ... Fast !
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 09:51:16 PM by OleRed »
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 10:14:14 PM »
OleRed,

you know me, and believe me, I've thought about it!!!!  ;D  and still thinking.

just not sure what to do with this one, you know, I've got a Scimitar to finish!
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 10:37:54 PM »
I forgot about the Scimitar,  do the quickest project first ... ya gotta have something to get on the lake, it's part of the program ya know .. like the 14th step
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 10:42:23 PM by OleRed »
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 11:04:06 PM »
Man...I dunno about that CV-19...its REALLY far gone...I hate to say it, but we all need parts.

You've got the Scimitar and Intimidator to finish.  I'd sell it as a package, but swap trailers as you intended.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline AndyBean

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 11:25:38 AM »
Its twin is for sale over in VA.  Or is this the one you bought?
Kinda cool I think. Put it in line for resto. You can't have to many projects waiting in the lurks.
Andy

http://richmond.craigslist.org/boa/2102927732.html
1972 GT-160 (yellow)
1980 Intimidator
1986 CVX-18
1977 CVX-16 Deluxe
1969 GT-160 (red)
1977 CVX-20 Jet
1967 Carlson Challenger
2007 Malibu 247
Orange County California USA
www.andysclassicglastrons.com
www.insurethetoys.com

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 12:06:27 PM »
Olered and Dorelse... You both make good points! I had my mind made up when I went to get it, but I think I've been looking at it too long cause I'm startin to have crazy ideas! I think I have my other outboard sold, so that will help me to let this one go knowing I don't have an easy way to power it and yeah, the scimitar and intimidator have been waiting patiently. Fortunately I do have the cvz to use, so none of these are rushed. I really do like these cv's, I just don't know that it's worth keeping it around for a few years...

Andybean, that one popped up right after I got mine. Seems to be further gone than mine, missing the windshield and all. Also missing eveything that mine is.

Anybody interested in buying as a whole, or should I start taking offers on individual pieces? I think I better do something before I get attached!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 12:38:27 PM by wexrocks »
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Hotwired

• The Ship
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 12:37:37 PM »
Too gar gone???  All the parts are there, offer the hull intact for someone else to rebuild at the very least. Being it is gutted, a refit with a Mercruiser would certainly be interesting although these were designed with Jet boat written all over them.  Surface drive???? Wish I were not on the other side of the country I would certainly make an offer on it. Done up retro, I would love to see that.

I need to move to the other side of the country!
.. it is what it is ... and that is how it should be!
Miss Mayberry - 1964 Saberflite
The Ship - 1979 CV-27
Canon Ball Eyes - 1976 CV-16ssV8
Da ProJect Bote - 1977 CV-23
It Is What It Is...... CVX20

Offline Jerry

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 12:47:33 PM »
I need to move to the other side of the country!

Come back home where you belong.
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 12:49:18 PM »
Oh I don't think it's too far gone, my thoughts about it are that it would be another complete interior job (just did the cvz and have the intimidator and scimitar to do) and need to put together two complete motor and outdrive set-ups for those two, so I would probably go outboard with this one myself. I really like the style, just don't know if another is necessary. Tough call!

Think I might do somethin real dumb this weekend with some wetsand and buffer... If I can bring it back like I have with others, it'll be even harder...

I would prefer to pass it on complete. Hotwired, it's a nice drive through the countryside!
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Hotwired

• The Ship
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 12:52:14 PM »

Hotwired, it's a nice drive through the countryside!

Ya, I know.  That is how I wound up with all these boats!!  :D
.. it is what it is ... and that is how it should be!
Miss Mayberry - 1964 Saberflite
The Ship - 1979 CV-27
Canon Ball Eyes - 1976 CV-16ssV8
Da ProJect Bote - 1977 CV-23
It Is What It Is...... CVX20

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 07:52:30 AM »
It really does sound like you have your hands full. If it were me, I wouldnt cut it up I think that would be a shame IMO. I'd do a v8 jet setup again or sell it and let someone else do it. There are not that many of these around.  It needs a lot of work but would be sweet when done!
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 12:31:58 PM »
Rosscoe,

I agree, I would much prefer to keep it together. I do love these boats and have even considered a few that have come up for sale, but considering the amount of project it is and all the others I already have, I just can't take it on. AND, the outboard that I had considered puting on it just got sold this morning, so, it's a pretty easy decision for me at this point. like it would be for any of us, it's hard to let go, but I have to focus on the fact that I bought it for the trailer with the intentions of passing it on to a member for parts or project.

So, any takers???  ;D  I know alot of the regulars here are just too far for it to make sense, but maybe someone is close enough. I really don't want to part it. I'll give it a little bit here, and maybe post it on For Sale, and if I don't hear anything for a bit I'll probably post it over on CGOA main.

All input still appreciated, and thanks to everybody who chimed in...
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline frosty

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 09:29:03 AM »
Hey Wetrocks,  I'm in andover,ny is that anywhere near you. I might be interested in the cv-19 if you're still looking at getting rid of it, always need another project.  Thanks, frosty

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 02:15:57 PM »
Frosty,

not sure exactly where that is, I'm in central southern PA just south of Lancaster. you can check it out on google maps and let me know if it is a reasonable trip for you. I am hoping to pass this one on complete as a project, I'd really like to see someone bring it back to life, I just will not have time for it, and I'm trying to be realistic! I'll regret it I'm sure.
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 02:36:25 PM »
hey Wex, I hate to be the downer but id try and just sell it as whole. I know somebody would restore it and keep it around. I know I'm a young buck but from experiences that i have. You can only work on one project at a time. Too many sitting around will just temp you to work on each one a little here and there. Which in turn will take forever to get all of them done.. I haven't seen the Scimitar yet ( hint hint) but both that and the Intimidator that you have need a lot of work in them selves.

PS: keep buying carlsons, and bringing them to PA. We need more around here!
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 04:28:57 PM »
So do you have another trailer to throw under it?
If things were different. I'd be interested but:
Too far away.
Need money to bring that one back to life
Already have 3 Glastrons but no Carlson yet!
4k into it and have a 3k boat but thats cool if one were to keep it. As we know, most of these are not money makers. We do it cuz we like it!
I think you'd be smart to just sell it with your other projects going on and they are both sweet floaters!
Wonder why they pulled all the goodies out?

I know I could look at the brochures but off hand, does anyone know what the seating is like in these? I believe the outboards have jump seats in the rear. What about the fronts? Back to back I think?
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline frosty

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 06:02:39 PM »
Hey wetrocks, lancaster is a little over 4 hrs from me. Not out of the question. I'm sure the floor, transom and stringers need replaced? does it come with a trailer and all paperwork? what are you looking to get out of it?  Thanks for the reply.  frosty

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 06:36:19 PM »
frosty,

nah, 4 hrs isn't bad... all my others were at least 6 hours away!

no idea on the stringers (I'm guessing replacement would just be a good idea while it's apart), floor is a rigged sheet of plywood held down with nails. yup, nails  ??? and transom may or may not be ok, really have not looked at it at all.

full paperwork on the boat, no trailer. I got this for the trailer, and to either pass along a cool project or much needed parts for members here. things like the windshield frame and other trim are becoming scarce and much needed, so I was hoping I could help someone out.

it goes CHEAP... like I said, I'm hoping someone will restore it. $300 takes it away. I guess someone could snatch it to make money parting it out, but I'm hoping that doesn't happen. Just wanna offer it cheap to move it quickly and help it find a good home.

come 'n get it!!!!  ;D
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline frosty

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 07:12:52 PM »
nails?  hehe   a boat mechanic had it , hugh?  ok, i will definately give it some thought. i've been looking at jet drives and motors, neither one cheap.  i'd keep it as a jet drive if i took it off you're hands, no trailer is a problem but..  my cvx i bought didn't come with a trailer and i looked for months to find one to buy, then it had to be stripped and painted and no tires or rims to boot.  thanks