Author Topic: Another day, another Carlson...  (Read 63741 times)

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: Another day, another Carlson...
« Reply #160 on: July 02, 2012, 06:57:45 PM »
Your a better man then me Steve !
I have no self control and would be at WOT on day one ... LOL

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #161 on: July 02, 2012, 09:29:36 PM »
Your a better man then me Steve !
I have no self control and would be at WOT on day one ... LOL

Gregg, on a calmer day, I don't think I coulda resisted! But, I had precious cargo on board (the little lady) and knowing the setup wasn't anywhere near potential, it was a little easier to hold back. If I get the 27p on with glass water, and runnin solo... hammer time. 8)
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #162 on: July 02, 2012, 11:12:31 PM »
The problem is it's uncharted territory

uncharted territory, I think you're right Steve, for a short boat, you Got to be careful,  .. you know I ran the new style 26 pitch PowerTech on my stroker before I pulled it out of Reds Gold  for the sale, it ran 78mph at 5200 rpm, no more testing than that, so a 27 pitch with a 15" diameter is not un-realistic on a 20ft Carlson, even with a moderate load.

Me and Barb both know what you are talking about the exceleration ...just Awsome.  My motor is built off the spec's of a dyno motor, 440hp with just over 500 pounds torque. Barbs boat, Burnin Daylight, will hold ya back in the seat till about 70mph .. just awsome.

Keep this in mind Steve ... keep the bow down until you get some seat time, all fast boats will get faster with a lite bow, but it's more dangerous,  just be careful !
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #163 on: July 03, 2012, 11:44:48 AM »
Yeah, after alot of conversations with you Red I figured I wanted to be somewhere in this pitch range and I found a real good deal on a very nice Mirage Plus 27p, so I figured I'd start there.

Not to worry, I'm very cautious with it. I'm not just gonna go out and give it everything it's got, I need to be sure it's safe and learn how the boat reacts to different situations and how to handle it. All of my boats, even the really fast ones, have been safe at their top speed, you just needed to be smart. This one will likely go faster than it "should" so lots of seat time ahead before I even get close to a top speed number. I'm gonna get some higher rpm runs in so I can start reading the plugs. I have a feeling I can step up the jets a bit, and my timing is set very conservatively right now, so there's more power to be had anyway. I may look into stepping up to the 750 thunder carb, but we'll see. Not sure yet if this 650 is gonna hold me back. I think I'm right on the edge of what it can flow, but we'll see, not jumping into that yet.
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #164 on: July 05, 2012, 09:30:54 PM »
Had the boat out for the 4th, ran great, lots of looks, lots of fun. Gonna try the 27p prop on Saturday, and a buddy loaned me a 28p Bravo 4 blade to try if the 27 seems tame.

Such a good feeling to turn the key knowing it's gonna run perfect. Took the family out to watch fireworks on the river, and got to idle thru a big pile of boats with all eyes on the CSS. Carlson made a beauty with this one. They could sell these today and STILL be considerred futuristic. Love it. Doesn't hurt that it sounds like a blown alcohol dragster! Can't wait to start prop testing, should be fun. I gotta say, at 5200 rpm, this thing sounds wicked, and that's from in front of the pipes. Might have to get Shrom to do a drive by for me so I can hear it...
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #165 on: July 05, 2012, 10:24:46 PM »
you are teasing me more than any old girlfriend did Steve, let's see a video,  let's Hear it  !
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #166 on: July 06, 2012, 11:20:55 AM »
Might have to get Shrom to do a drive by for me so I can hear it...

I would LOVE to  ;D
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #167 on: July 06, 2012, 11:30:22 AM »
you are teasing me more than any old girlfriend did Steve, let's see a video,  let's Hear it  !

I'll see what I can do about some video Red, don't wanna be a tease! And I'll be sure to post how the prop testing goes.
Might have to get Shrom to do a drive by for me so I can hear it...

I would LOVE to  ;D

haha... I thought you might!
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #168 on: July 18, 2012, 07:41:26 PM »
Was out last weekend on my parents boat and met up with Wex. They were nice enough to have Morgan and I to there camper for lunch! Had a great time with Jenn and him. Did not get a ride but thing seems wicked! I got a short video, but insure how to upload it... ??? He was still running the 21 pitch at the time.
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #169 on: July 18, 2012, 07:46:44 PM »
Set up an account and upload to Youtube ...

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #170 on: July 19, 2012, 10:19:57 AM »
I'd be interested to see if you got it coming or going.

Still haven't tried any serious props or jetting at all. I did try a buddy's 23 pitch Quicksilver, but at 70 there was alot of torque steer, and the boat tried to lunge right, so that prop came right back off. Hoping to get the hub piece I need go try the 27 this weekend, and Shrom is gonna loan me his 23p lazer II. My Mirage prop has very good characteristics for this hull, hoping it acts as good with some extra pitch with the 27 mirage.
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #171 on: July 19, 2012, 07:41:21 PM »
It seems that It will not allow me to load the video on youtube. Everytime I try loading it. It just stays at 0%. shows thats its trying to load but never actually does.. Who wants the video? I can email it to you to post ;D I think...

Steve it is a video of you pulling away from me. So it gets the full effect of the exhaust. ;D Sounds pretty good! Cant say its the best video as it is only taken from my phone.
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #172 on: July 19, 2012, 07:44:57 PM »
Email it to me and I'll try to post it.

wexrocks@hotmail.com
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #173 on: July 19, 2012, 08:13:36 PM »
Shrom, I got the video... youtube must have recognized a glitch, the audio was off by about twenty seconds. I heard it idle and then roar off, and the boat was still sitting there! Wierd, not sure how that happens. Maybe I can talk you into recording some for me with my video camera next time so we can let these guys see her in action.
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2012, 10:03:44 PM »
I can fix the audio/video sync Wex.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #175 on: July 20, 2012, 01:46:42 PM »
but at 70 there was alot of torque steer, and the boat tried to lunge right, so that prop came right back off.
Hi Steve,  check out the steering system first, we haven't talked about that, thats one of the Most important factors to deal with torque steer with the horse power you have, and it can be dangerous, any "slack" in the steering can cause the boat to "lunge right" when the prop gets near the surface, trimmed up, especially over trimmed, when the prop blades grab air, the torque factor changes sides, "slack" in the steering the drive will "slap" over to the right side, causing the boat to steer right Quick, but with a good, snug steering system, it's not that noticable, easilly corrected, after that point the torque steer is not much at all, high speeds seems to reduce the torque steer, in Red's Gold anyway.

The balance of the hull effects torque steer, prop blades is a factor also, especially the props with a "long" rake, cupped, creating a lot of bow lift and torque steer, some props have a lot of blade "root" creating stern lift, when you get a prop with a long rake, and a lot of root, you got a prop trying to lift the boat out of the water, they are fast, but can become very unstable, more apt to chine walk, drifts in turns like an air boat, less boat in the water makes for more speed alright, but only to a point, beyond that point the hull become's unstable, and even dangerous, but safety first means keep the bow down, get some seat time in moderate chop, and learn your set-up.  the prop selection process can be very time consuming,  and expensive, just Be Carefull !
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:51:01 PM by OleRed »
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #176 on: July 20, 2012, 09:06:20 PM »
Red,

solid advice as always! I'll try to call you this weekend to discuss a few things and catch up.

gonna have to go over the steering system more carefully. the Mirage 21 works excellent with the boat, just not enough pitch, but it goes straight as an arrow at 70. the Quicksilver I tried may have been enough of a different prop to expose an issue that the Mirage didn't.

if I decide to keep this boat for next season and keep tuning it for more power and prop testing for max speed, I may do a new transom assembly over the winter to reduce any play, and all new steering. maybe even some external hydraulic steering rams for more stability. we'll see how it goes as I play with it. I'm no where near the speeds that this motor can push it, just been breaking it in and playing a little. but, I wanna be safe about it.

'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #177 on: July 21, 2012, 09:31:29 PM »
Red,
a pleasure as always to talk to ya. I'll try to get some video so everybody can hear this thing run... it's somethin else! I want everybody here in the group to be able to enjoy it too.

I have REALLY enjoyed running this boat, and this motor. lots of work and time into both to make it what it is. The CSS is an extraordinary design for sure, and this motor really brings out the best in it. alot of fun, absolutely.

with the right prop and a little tuning, this boat will easily be in the 80's. beyond that, who knows. but thats all testing and seat time. I'm gonna take it easy this year I think, and then dyno tune the motor this winter, and prop test to that next year. in the mean time, I'll prop test, tune, and hang on...
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19