Author Topic: MEMORIES ,,,David V-153 Pabst Racing boat ?  (Read 5917 times)

Offline instep

MEMORIES ,,,David V-153 Pabst Racing boat ?
« on: March 19, 2012, 12:15:45 PM »
When I was looking thru Classifieds I noticed David V mentioning a Pabst racing boat,,,and "BANG" :) :)my childhood flashed back before me. Our little Pabst (dad always claimed it was made from speacial Philippine Mahogany?) Was powered by a 10 Horse Mercury Hurricane and running a (speacial) bronze prop. One of my most memorable moments was racing and beating the Dezarts brand new Falls Flyer (made by Larson) powered by an opposed 33 horse Johnson. The little Ten Merc also pulled us boys two at a time on those old wooden water skies,,Wow what great memories. ;D

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
Re: MEMORIES ,,,David V-153 Pabst Racing boat ?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 09:33:31 PM »
My Pabst 11" racing runabout weighted 110 pounds and the 22 HP Merc ? and me then about 140 pounds. Pretty good pounds per horsepower. The largest motors then were 80 HP. Passed many larger boats that were surprised at the speed. If only I know more about props then, could have added more MPH by using bronze props. Believe the aluminum prop I was running was about 11" pitch. Went 110 miles one day in that boat through Lake Pepin and back. Both the boat and I took a pounding.
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline instep

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 09:29:15 AM »
I think ours had a number on it and classified as a class" C "runabout,had to kneel in drivers cockpit and had a small bench in forward cockpit that had a canvas with snaps when serious speed was the focus. I believe your 22 horse and the Ten Hurricane were same powerhead around 19 cubic Inch.We sold ours to a neighbor and he eventually burned the boat.We hung him at sunrise :'( ::) ;D

Offline instep

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 10:04:20 AM »

HIGHLIGHTS

- 1940's 13' 5" race boat
- Original trailer
- Aft steering
- The boat company which built this boat was owned by Augie Pabst of Pabst Blue Ribbon DESCRIPTION
Pabst Boats of LaCrosse, Wisconsin manufactured this incredibly sleek 13.5-foot outboard racing boat in the 1940s. The plywood-hull racer comes with its original and very unique tube frame trailer.

Information found on the website is presented as advance information for the auction lot. Photos, materials for videos, descriptions and other information are provided by the consignor/seller and is deemed reliable, but Mecum Auction does not verify, warrant or guarantee this information. The lot and information presented at auction on the auction block supersedes any previous descriptions or information. Mecum is not responsible for information that may be changed or updated prior to the auction. The decision to purchase should be based solely on the buyers personal inspection of the lot at the auction site prior to the auction.

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 11:43:46 AM »
The driver sat right in front of the motor on a floor approximately 4" off the bottom of the boat alternating between knees and butt to avoid aches. The boat has many oak stringers honeycombed lengthwise and crosswise that lended to strength. Right in front of the driver was a cross piece that secured the steering wheel operating a pulley system to the Mercury. In front of the cross piece a small seat that I used to hold a six gallon gas tank strapped in position. Had so much weight in the back that I fabricated adjustable trim tabs out of stainless steel to prevent porpoising.

Refinishing the boat inside and out in my parents basement over the summer. My mom would say, "Thats the last coat isn't it?"

Fond memories of 50 years ago.
David

Offline instep

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 01:28:12 PM »
There are pictures on Google but I don"t know how to transfer them ,great great memories ,I think in about 1962or 1963 ny dad bought a 15 foot Larson fiberglass Thunderhawk? with a 60 horse Merc dock breaker and it was the new toy ,thus he sold the little Pabst.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 05:20:06 PM »

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 05:42:27 PM »
Thanks Gregg for the pictures. Something about wood boats and the beauty of the wood grain.
David

Offline instep

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 12:44:17 PM »
Not to mention the feel of wood on the water,remember the old cedar strip wooden fishing boats? ,they would leak when first put in water and swell up as the day went on..Incidentily FYI my uncle Buzzy was the world Champion racing canoeist and dubbed as the Iron Man from Minnesota in a sports Magazine "SAGA" years ago.many of his records still stand. ::)