General Category > General Discussion

New (old) tow vehicle

(1/3) > >>

Rosscoe:
I've been looking on and off for a better tow vehicle for couple of years but really couldnt swing it but came across something interesting and always liked the way Montero Sports looked. From what I had seen at the time, they only came with 3.0 liter motors unless you got the fancier higher trim level models. Then I saw this "XS" model that has the larger 3.5 motor and lower end trim. Kept looking at the ad, then they dropped the price 1K. Drove the hour plus to look at it and it was pretty clean, so I jumped on it.
I had to take out a loan and managed to get a decent rate, considering its 11 years old. Everything fell into place.
I am hoping it allows me to make more club meets as opposed to driving my 29 year old rust bucket, gas hog truck. This isnt what I'd consider fuel effcient at 19-20 mpg but better. At 4275 lbs, it fairly heavy. Compared to most SUV's, this is more of a truck with a full frame under it.
I sure hope it pulls the 175 ok. It actually has more horsepower (almost 40)then my v8 305 truck but a little less torque. Its rated for 1500 lbs if no brakes on the trailer and 5000 with brakes. As a bonus it already had a good hitch in it. We'll see.

Jason:
That should get the job done Ross! Looks nice!

Jerry:
Looks good Ross.

Bayflite73:
Well done Ross! It should get the job done nicely!

CVX Fever:
Nice truck Ross! I towed my first 2 boats for with a compact Toyota 4WD PU for 9 years. The 3.0 V6 in that truck was only rated at a 150HP. Both boats were heavier than your 175. I don't think that Montero will even know your boat is back there. And your right, that's back when they built smaller SUV's like a real truck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version