Author Topic: General Assistance - not boat related.  (Read 2998 times)

Offline WetRaider

General Assistance - not boat related.
« on: August 24, 2012, 02:49:12 PM »
As most of you know, I'm trying to get myself a position at an architecture firm in the Metro-Minneapolis area.  My website has been redesigned to function as more of a portfolio so that potential employers can view without having their mailbox or e-mail loaded with attachments.

I don't write code, and don't know anything about java.  I did my own workaround by placing an auto-start looping video on the intro page.  If some of you will go to www.architectureindoors.com and let me know if the intro loads and plays for you and what browser you're using, it would be very helpful to me.

I've checked it with Safari and with Chrome, both ok on my machines - but I also created the video and website, so I wouldn't expect it not to work.  It does not work on my Android browser, but it's not really a website for mobile devices.

Thanks in advance. 
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
Re: General Assistance - not boat related.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 03:28:15 PM »
On my ipad i had to start the video and it only played once
On my work pc (win 7) firefox and IE i got a quicktime failed to initialize but that could be that pc
On my macbook pro (intel) with firefox and chrome it works great
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 03:44:52 PM »
I loaded QT and all is good on the pc as well
Good luck !
Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 04:59:34 PM »
Thanks Joe.

When the quicktime failed, did you still see the text letting you know you could skip the intro and click into the site?

Dan O'Connor

Offline DanR

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 07:46:09 PM »
It took a few seconds to load here, but works fine.
1974 CV16
2001 GX205
1978 Venture bass boat

Offline MikeB

• 1980 CVX-18 | 1989 CSS19
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 09:42:12 PM »
Hi Dan,

It looks like it's being injected to the page directly as a Quicktime .mov file.  Usually I recommend people upload video to a service such as Youtube and use the "share" or "embed" code instead.  This is nice because Youtube takes care of the content distribution as well as cross-device compatibility. 

http://www.architectureindoors.com/INT+ARCH/Media/ArchitectureIndoors-2.mov

If you do a "save as" on this link and save it to your desktop, then upload to Youtube you won't have to worry about it anymore. 

Also, I noticed occasionally the links at the top are bumping the "contact" link below the navigation making it hard to see.  I would either remove one of the navigation links, or bump the font size down a pixel or so.   

Let me know if I can help out - I do this stuff for a living. 

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 10:39:12 PM »
Mike -

Thanks for the info.  I did go the YouTube route originally.  I didn't have the option to have the movie autoplay ... the YouTube widget only sets a viewer with a play option to be clicked on by a visitor to the site.

Since I don't do flash, or write code, this was my best attempt at doing a rotating slideshow as an intro.  I appreciate the catch on the contact tab dropping down.  I'll get that aspect widened here before bed.

As my first post said, this is more to expand on a traditional resume.  Unfortunately for me, I didn't ever hire a professional photographer to capture my projects in their best.  I'm using what I have, counting on my paper resume to generate enough interest to promote a visit to the website, the website should provide just enough information to generate a discussion.  I may PM you about how to make a flash slideshow for that intro.

Thanks!!

Dan O'Connor

Offline MikeB

• 1980 CVX-18 | 1989 CSS19
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 10:59:35 PM »
Yeah, I hear ya.  That can make a lot of sense when you're on a budget. 

If you send me a link with the youtube video I can show you a "hack" that makes it autoplay. 

Other than that the site looks good!  Functional and to the point. 

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
Late response...
But yes the text that says to click the links still showed
Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline 84carlson

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 01:01:08 PM »

Have you contacted Pope Architects in Minneapolis, they might be an option, they just completed our new 63 bed ALF in Lincoln Ne.  I also have great respect for Adolph and Peterson Construction Company, another great contractor from in Minneapolis, they do work nationally and I would recommend them in a heartbeat.

I'm a Corporate Facility Director for a heath care facility in Lincoln, we own or manage about 700 units of senior care in Nebraska, I was hesitant to contract with an outstate contractor and architect but Pope and A/P did a great job for us.

I have also read where your wife works in Long Term Care, a great contact for her in  Minneapolis would be Ecumen, they are a leader in senior living in the upper Midwest, they are a Lutheran based organization with a Christian back ground, another good organization.

Your wife might understand the Green House Philosophy, we were the second one built in the United States and now we have 5 houses and a dedicated Hospice house, honestly this is the future of long term care. 

Good luck on your job search.

Joe H   Lincoln Ne

www.popearch.com
www.ecumen.org
www.a-p.com
www.tabitha.org

Joe