Author Topic: Found this today not a Glastron but cool  (Read 4983 times)

Offline Otto cv23

Found this today not a Glastron but cool
« on: November 04, 2012, 01:32:48 PM »
It's a Switzer Craft Playboy must be mid 60's. The cool thing is it's an IO. It's suppose to be a prototype the only one made. This guy say's he talked to Bobby Switzer about it. The engine is suppose to be new never run, never had water in it. There's a big metal trim tab on the back because somebody wanted to put a v8 in it. It has to be original except for those two things. Now the big question what's it worth in this condition being a total rebuild. If I can get it cheap enough this might be cool to have.

Offline Otto cv23

Re: Found this today not a Glastron but cool
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 01:35:31 PM »
more pics

Offline MarkS

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 01:49:29 PM »
Pretty cool find Otto, VERY rare indeed!  You might check with the gang over on www.FiberGlassics.com, one of them may be able to shed some light on it if you don't get any info here.  Personally, I would consider $200-$400 a fair price, it's going to take a lot of time and money to put that one back together.  (Please keep in mind I've been accused of being "overly-frugal" at times.)  Might go as high as $500 since it is a Switzer and soooo rare?  Just my two cents......
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 02:54:23 PM »
Very COOL !
Ya ...offer him $200 ...
You can always go higher.

Offline bellj

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 06:33:06 PM »
As some of you know, besides Glastron, I'm definitely a Switzer fan also. There are a few around this area yet, plus my own, and I ran into someone this summer who was part of a whole Switzer group near Wausau, but I never was able to track them down even though the gal said they were on Facebook. I never knew a lot about the "playboy" model...was personally into the GL's instead - although I've seen some amazing speed and handling claims for the playboy - and might even have a pdf saved somewhere of the literature.

Although it pales in comparison to the Glastron collectors, there are still quite a few Switzer collectors, and they have "regatta's" in the same way we have "Annual Events", so there are definitely people out there who are resources - just not as easy to track down like they are on the Glastron forums.

A certain amount of "collectors" hang out on the "Scream and Fly" forums. A quick search found this: http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?238750-Switzercraft-Reunion-Regatta-amp-Hot-Boat-Rally-2012

This might point you in the direction of people who attend the regattas (something I want to do someday also): http://www.freewebs.com/switzercraftreunionregattas/

The Switzer brothers played with A LOT of hull designs - and they were amazingly good at it just like Art Carlson - which of course is why they are both basically legends of their own times!   ;)

Good luck!!   :)
Jim, Patti, & Samantha
'69 Pipestone Princess O/B, '57 Evinrude Lark 35
'77 Glastron GT-150 O/B, '78 Merc 700, "The Puddle Jumper"
'77 Switzer GL-20 O/B, '77 Merc 1750
'86 Glastron CVX-20 O/B, '86 Merc 200, "The WHIZZard of Odds"

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 07:13:14 PM »
Jerry Sellner has a 1969 Switzercraft Shooting Star, he had it for sale on CL some time ago ...
SWEET BOAT !

http://collectorboats.com/boats-for-sale/

Offline bellj

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 07:57:36 PM »
WOW Gregg, that link you provided also has a GL-21...very similar to my GL-20...dang it, pretty soon you'll give me the fever to get mine back into shape!   (for the most part just needs a replacement outboard - but priority for this past year was on our Glastron, which actually came about while searching for that replacement engine)   ;)

Anyway, as I've always heard it, Playboys and Shooting Stars where really something in the days before the GL series. They all made their own "marks" for their respective times in history.

It's always too bad that restoring boats doesn't amount to the same monetary value in the end that collector cars do - but then I suppose people like me wouldn't be able to afford to even restore them then.   LOL
Jim, Patti, & Samantha
'69 Pipestone Princess O/B, '57 Evinrude Lark 35
'77 Glastron GT-150 O/B, '78 Merc 700, "The Puddle Jumper"
'77 Switzer GL-20 O/B, '77 Merc 1750
'86 Glastron CVX-20 O/B, '86 Merc 200, "The WHIZZard of Odds"