Author Topic: Run On Rathbun II - Winter Update  (Read 25083 times)

Offline 75starflight

Re: Run On Rathbun II - Winter Update
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 07:02:02 PM »
Front of Shirt graphic ... Yea or Nay ?

Looks great Dan
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline MarkS

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 11:37:28 AM »
Dan, did you get the email I sent you a week or so ago?  I'm thinking the Run on Rathbun II event might make a lot more sense for me to try for.  It would shorten the long trip (towing the GT) up north considerably, as I'll more than likely be coming alone.  (I do have a couple brothers still living in eastern Iowa, one may come down to visit while I'm there?)  Since I have no experience on the big river, the lake setting/venue would make me feel more comfortable too.  I'd really like to meet as many of you good folks as possible, maybe I can fly up to the Red Wing meet some other time.  Really want a chance to boat with some of my fellow Glastroholics and get some pics/video of my boat on the water as well.
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 11:53:52 AM »
Looks like it can be done in a very long day's drive Mark...I'm toying with arriving Thursday now so I can mess around on the lake with the kids on Friday.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 01:26:12 PM by dorelse »
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 01:12:06 PM »
Amber and I will be there Thursday afternoon for sure. Looking foward to meeting you Mark. Just wish my V-179 and your old V-178 could have been seen together since you don't see too many of that hull type. 
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline MarkS

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 02:05:09 PM »
There was a time when I could leave Atlanta and be sitting in Coggon (north of Cedar Rapids about 20 miles on Hwy 13) 17 hours later.  Of course that wasn't pulling a boat on a trailer, and I would probably need a nap somewhere along the way now days!  Anyway, if I leave here Wed morning I should be up there Thursday mid-day.  Enough time to set up camp and relax a little.  Not sure how much of my camping gear is still up in the attic, pretty sure the tent and sleeping bags are still there.  I'll have to get it down and check it all out ahead of time, of course.

Me too Brandon, very much looking forward to meeting as many of the gang as possible.  I also agree about the Starflites, that WOULD have been too cool to have two of them represented.  (Still kicking myself in the butt for letting it go!)  The GT150 is fun and a little "quicker" ride than my V-178, but that boat had a much smoother, roomier, and more comfortable "feel" to it.  Sellers remorse - ya, I got it.

I know it's still a long ways off, but I'm really getting excited about the trip!
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 03:34:28 PM »
Mark,

I did get your e-mail ... and I sincerely apologize for having not responded sooner.  Activity levels in the house lately have been on a high amplitude sine wave ...

I enjoy the lake setting out here, and feel it's very conducive to our group.  The campgrounds are plenty big and there's room for everyone to stretch out.  I didn't have any trouble in the river with my GT150 last August ... but I didn't make the run down to Pepin, either.   The advantage of a river is that there is current ... if you wind up dead on the water, you can at least steer yourself (generally) towards shore.  In the lake, you just bob and bob until someone comes by.  I was smoking pretty bad and kept myself to the rear of our group during the parade to keep from choking everyone behind me with 2 cycle fumes.  When everyone opened up, we decided to not go quite so far - still made a good run downstream & then back up to camp, though.

I think you'll enjoy it, wherever you choose to attend.  The people make it what it is.  We look forward to having you out!

If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 03:51:41 PM »
Its definitely your call on which to attend Mark.  The river isn't nearly as daunting as you might think, and its kind of cool to realize you've just gone 20 miles in a boat.  Some year, I'm going to stick around Sunday morning and go through the lock up river with the group.

I think the gt-150 is one of the more popular models at Red Wing, and most make the trip on the river without issue.  The smaller boats generally hang back and let the speed demons race ahead. 

So, I wouldn't be afraid of either meet location Mark...if my 85HP Force/Bayliner can make it...your GT-150 will be just fine.

That said, if you want to be on a lake, then Rathbun is it!
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Bayflite73

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 01:13:03 PM »
Front of Shirt graphic ... Yea or Nay ?

Looks great Dan! Red Wing falls on the weekend of my 10th anniversary (8/16) so I doubt my better half will be on board with that.  :( so Rathbun will have to be it for me for the big meet this year!
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177
previously owned: '73 V-174 Bayflite

Offline MarkS

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 03:15:30 PM »
I talked to my youngest brother last night, he's definitely up for the Rathbun trip, said it sounded like a great idea.  I may even be able to talk him into bringing his pontoon, would be great as a floating camera / video shoot station.   
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 07:13:36 PM »
Ok ...
Made a scouting drive around the lake today.  Water levels are low, but not terrible.  There's a lot of time, still, and it's a Corps of Engineers lake, so they should maintain a boatable level.

I'm thinking that I might want to reserve a picnic shelter on the south side of the lake for Saturday.  We can do pictures mid morning and afternoon - but have some beach time and lunch where a grill is provided.  There were two picnic shelters I looked at in the Island View area.  I'd like to plan on providing a Saturday lunch again - maybe some teriyaki steak skewers and hot dogs.  Or something. 

Option 1 - The larger picnic shelter had a larger playground, too.  A big swim beach (we'd have to beach the boats next to the swim beach, not on it), and a volleyball pit.  Downside was that from the picnic shelter, the beached boats would not be visible. 

Option 2 - The smaller shelter had a small playground - mainly just a couple slides and a "monkey bar" setup.  We could beach boats near the shelter, but they'd be clay beaches - not groomed sand. 

I did take pictures - but the ground is snow covered and lake is ice - I'll get them uploaded a little later and put in here. 

Option 3 might be Bridgeview - there's a big beach suitable for the boats there, and I'm almost positive they'd have a picnic shelter and grill available.

Dan O'Connor

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2013, 03:11:42 PM »
Any word on the pictures being loaded Dan?

Rissa already asked to go through our camping list for June, so I know she's excited!
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2013, 03:20:09 PM »
Doran ... I'm stuck looking for my MicroSD adapter so I can use the SD card slot ...
If I can't find it here shortly, I'll go get a new one ... Pictures up tonight ...

Dan O'Connor

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2013, 03:24:18 PM »
Doran ... I'm stuck looking for my MicroSD adapter so I can use the SD card slot ...
If I can't find it here shortly, I'll go get a new one ... Pictures up tonight ...

I still don't have an SD adapter...I usually shove the card into an old phone or camera that has the same slot and hook that to the computer. 
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2013, 07:28:37 PM »
Alright ... found my adapter.  Had a couple of those memory stick duo adapters, finally came across the MicroSD.
So, here are pictures of the Island View Shelter & Playground.  It's a nice area - swimming beach and volleyball pit ... a little walk to the shelter and playground from the water.

Someone give me a hint on how to copy a Google Maps Satellite Image to my computer on a Mac.  Too many people say drag and drop, but it just pans the map in my browser.  If all else fails, I'll use a camera to take a picture of the monitor ...

Dan O'Connor

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2013, 07:40:32 PM »
Want more ?

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2013, 07:49:12 PM »
Gregg -
That's awesome - and yes, I need the south side of the lake, near the dam.  You should see a label for Island View ... see a big, groomed, sandy beach ...
How'd you get that image saved?

For those who don't remember, or planning to attend for the first time - you can see the label for Honey Creek State Park - that single road immediately below the label is the South Campgrounds where we'll stay.  The restrooms and shower facilities are in that "bubble" almost midway down the length.  Above and to the right, slightly, is the big 6-lane boat ramp.  Directly across the water from the boat ramp is the resort property ... Like I said, it's just right there, but a 9 mile drive to get to it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 07:54:39 PM by WetRaider »

Dan O'Connor

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2013, 07:56:32 PM »
This is the second picnic shelter ... the beach is not groomed, so it would be clay, but all the boats would be in sight.  I can check the shoreline better without snow and ice ...

The big panorama is taken from the dam, looking back at the shelter ..

Dan O'Connor

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2013, 08:27:43 PM »
Windows 7 has " Snipping Tool " ...
Hard to tell about "sandy beach" from Google Maps ...
Am I close ?

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2013, 08:33:13 PM »

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2013, 08:38:20 PM »