Author Topic: New Glastron Cave, in need of help  (Read 36505 times)

Offline wiliermdb

Re: New Glastron Cave, in need of help
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2013, 08:59:04 PM »
Materials showing up late has nothing to do with him not setting the footings and bolts in the correct position. I showed the photo you posted of the footing with the bolts right on the edge of the concrete. He's a building contractor. He laughed and said no way in hell would he ever allow work to be performed like that. He'd fire a worker for placing bolts like that. He also stated that if his crew did do something like that that he would redo it at his expense. No way would he allow that.

Apparently this contractor can't read and follow a plan nor measure. Shear stupidity to place the bolts in that footing and feel good about it. Should be centered in the footing.

Sorry for all your troubles and headaches. Stay strong and either get Some if not all of your money back and then find someone local to build it. Not being from your area puts me at a disadvantage but it must be a heck of a time trying to do this with the temps and snow.

Just out of curiosity, how large are the mounting plates that are supposed to sit on top of your footings? What is the diameter of the footings?

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2013, 09:44:13 AM »
Someone else told me about hacking the bolts off and drilling anchors but that is not to the engineering drawings. I guess you can get them as long as maybe 10" but it is not how I told the county how it will be built. I might feel ok with doing that one one of the smaller beams but not really on the four largest ones which we have 3/4x12" "L" bolts in. Also after taking some measurements today, the bolts being off isnt as bad as the footings being off. The beams could very well drop right onto some of the bolts but if its sitting on the edge of the footing or even hanging off, cutting the bolts off and using anchors solves nothing.
I have been gathering all the issues into an email so I could get the dates and times right but now I am having second thoughts about whether I should fire him or let him struggle with the screw ups. I'm also afraid of trying to find another contractor and starting all over and likely loosing the money I've got into it and having to come up with a lot more. My blood pressure and this whole mess has given me a week long headache and I don't know if I could go through with conciliation court and I am sure this guy will not freely give me a refund. I am trying to not "let him have it" while I am angry but feeling that I need to persists.  :D
He informed me yesterday that he had to have a second surgery and again the recovery clock starts ticking at something like 6 weeks. He blamed me for the delays which is ridiculous. The earliest delivery date I have ever had for the building was "tentative" and for the week of Nov 20th. He says it "showing up months late is the issue" Ha! Ok I'm going to get mad again and rip him a new one. lol
Gosh! okay, this is not the worse it could be, at least you recognized a potential problem with the pier footings,anchor bolts, before the structure supports were being placed.

Rosscoe, when you get a chance, can you read the fine print on the concrete bags. I am interested in the PSI rating, also the manufactures instruction on how to mix for the PSI stated on the bag. I also want to know what concrete PSI is stated on your engineered plans for your footings/piers.
post them when you can
I don't remember how many piers you have total?

Well we burned all the empty bags on site but the receipt from the original supplier says Sakrete 60 lb bags and the stuff I got a Menards has the same description on the receipt with the exception of mentioning its 4000 PSI.
Total piers-14 4 are considered the main supports.
I'll have to look more at the plans details. I saw it somewhere. I have some important business to take care of today and am trying to not get angry.
Actually I have PDF's of the prints and building instructions of you care to see them. See page one of this thread.
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2013, 09:46:34 AM »
Materials showing up late has nothing to do with him not setting the footings and bolts in the correct position. I showed the photo you posted of the footing with the bolts right on the edge of the concrete. He's a building contractor. He laughed and said no way in hell would he ever allow work to be performed like that. He'd fire a worker for placing bolts like that. He also stated that if his crew did do something like that that he would redo it at his expense. No way would he allow that.

Apparently this contractor can't read and follow a plan nor measure. Shear stupidity to place the bolts in that footing and feel good about it. Should be centered in the footing.

Sorry for all your troubles and headaches. Stay strong and either get Some if not all of your money back and then find someone local to build it. Not being from your area puts me at a disadvantage but it must be a heck of a time trying to do this with the temps and snow.

Just out of curiosity, how large are the mounting plates that are supposed to sit on top of your footings? What is the diameter of the footings?

Exactly! He's a bone head. The mounting plates are different sizes, depending on their purpose. See plans on page one.
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag