Author Topic: New Glastron Cave, in need of help  (Read 36723 times)

Offline Rosscoe

Re: New Glastron Cave, in need of help
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2013, 06:40:14 AM »
Sounds like I will be moving in that direction. You know, at this point, if the guy is ticked off especially of he is threatened with a law suit and comes back to finish it, he will do a crappy, fast, slam dunk job and I will be no where near the area helping. He put 2 weeks on it before....to get the walls up etc.
I hope the inspector does not tell me I am screwed because he is not licensed in this state and gives me grief that this is why I should have chosen on that was.
We'll see if I get any response from him whatsoever, from my text. I am afraid to call because I will tear into him. Trying to keep it civil, for now.
I have put in a request for a print out of our text thread from my phone company. Hope I can get one. Maybe only the NSA can do that.  :D
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2013, 06:49:28 AM »
Tha inspectors only inspect the dug holes for bearing, size, and depth per your plans.we dont ensure that the concrete has the correct psi per the plans, however, if the concrete appeared to be a hand mixture, i will turn down the footing inspection, and ask for an engineered letter on those piers, to protect the homeowner
Did he use a lazer to lay out the piers and anchor bolts?
Please feel free to check out my new Forum

http://hookedonboatingforum.proboards.com/

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2013, 06:53:55 AM »
It was hand mixed but that was partly my suggestion since we couldnt or didnt think we could get a cement truck down my narrow driveway and he wanted to "take his time and get it right" LOL
I bought the dang cement mixer too because he didn't have one.
So are you saying bringing the inspector back is worthless or is there at least some value in having it documented by him as well as my pictures?
Ross
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2013, 07:01:42 AM »
I'm at work
I'll get bac to ya shortly: )

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2013, 07:31:16 AM »
Tha inspectors only inspect the dug holes for bearing, size, and depth per your plans.we dont ensure that the concrete has the correct psi per the plans, however, if the concrete appeared to be a hand mixture, i will turn down the footing inspection, and ask for an engineered letter on those piers, to protect the homeowner
Did he use a lazer to lay out the piers and anchor bolts?

No lazer. Just a transit to set the heights which by the way was a piece of poop and he and one of his workers left for a good 40 minutes to try to line up another one while his "laborer" and I continued to mix and pour concrete.
Ross
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2013, 07:43:05 AM »
Ross -
It's likely your "damages" are less than the threshold for district court in Minnesota, so you'd get to sue in small claims. (Texas is $10,000.  Iowa is $5,000) Most states have an expedited process and the Clerk of Court is trained to assist pro-se filers so they may have access to legal remedies without having the expense of an attorney.  The filing fee for small claims in Iowa was $185.
I'm not familiar with Minnesota rules, but you both signed an agreement to do a specified amount of work in a specified amount of time for a specified amount of money.  You may be able to sue in Minnesota, as that is where the "cause of action" took place.  Your state's rules may provide that you can only file in the county in which the person resides, or where the cause of action occurs - in this case, you can sue in your county and he has to come to you.  Your case will have to specify that venue is proper where you file for that reason.  When you have a contract there are three remedy choices - Expectation, Reliance, and Restitution.  You'll likely want the expectation remedy - that would place the non-breaching party in the position they expected to be in had all things gone according to the contract.  You want him to finish the job, and if he doesn't, you want him to pay what it costs to have the job finished by someone else (You will only be expected to pay the contract amount, anything over he would be responsible for).  
Most courts won't let you make up costs and damages willy-nilly.  In contracts, there is no such thing as "pain and suffering," either.  Contract law is an entire theory of law all by itself.  At the minimum, you probably need a good reliable quote from a properly licensed contractor.  Then, you take his quote, subtract what you've already paid the other guy, and that is what the bum owes you + any fees you pay.  Some states don't allow small claims courts to factor attorney costs - this means some attorneys exaggerate damages to get you out of small claims into district court.  If you sue in small claims and he doesn't show up, you win by default and can execute a judgment against him.

**I am not an attorney.  The above does not constitute legal advice.**
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 07:59:15 AM by WetRaider »
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2013, 11:17:40 AM »
Call your building department and ask if the " Building Director" would come out and take a look at your concerns with the construction.
That may be your best option at the moment

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2013, 11:54:42 AM »
Ugh
Ross
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2013, 02:07:10 PM »
Be professional at first. Have it inspected and get a report in writing and signed by the county inspector.  Get that base covered. We already know that at least one of the footings is a failure.  Bolts will tear through that concrete in no time. Should be centered.

Send contractor a certified letter explaining what you expect for what you paid him to do and enclose a copy of the inspectors findings and suggestions.

Now it's up to him to make the correct move. If he doesn't then take the gloves off and do what you need to do.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2013, 02:55:28 PM »
Is there room to rotate or move the whole building footprint within concrete that has been poured? Can't you cut those studs off and re drill new anchor bolts? There has to be some tolerance.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2013, 05:01:14 PM »
If it's anything like my neighbor's there isn't any tolerance to speak of. The whole structure bolts together and if it is off as with that one footing then that whole section will be pushed over and then the cross beams for the roof will not line up.

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2013, 05:02:43 PM »
Is there room to rotate or move the whole building footprint within concrete that has been poured? Can't you cut those studs off and re drill new anchor bolts? There has to be some tolerance.

Yes, you should be able to grind them off, drill new holes in the correct position and use the self expanding studs that hammer in. I use them all the time here in Nebraska. I dont even put in J bolts any more

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 05:28:14 PM by 75starflight »
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2013, 06:31:52 PM »

Yes, you should be able to grind them off, drill new holes in the correct position and use the self expanding studs that hammer in. I use them all the time here in Nebraska. I dont even put in J bolts any more

This is what I did with my garage too. It seems to be a lot easier.

I don't mean tweak or twist the building. More of a  "best fit" between all the pads. Keep it square but move it around so they are all off center a little to bring the one off in more. Cut off all the studs, find a best fit, then drill and use the anchor studs once your main building structure is up.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2013, 07:32:41 PM »
Check the codes before using anchor bolts. You don't want that sucker ripping those things out of the footings. You don't want to be "shifting and sliding" the building around to make it fit. It needs to be done correctly from start to finish. That is what the man is paying for. When it's all said and done, the contractor needs to make damn sure that everything is correct. Not half arse and "tweak" to fit.

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2013, 08:01:07 PM »
If you alter ( change) *anything* from the original engineered plans that you submitted, and got approved from the building department. The inspector probably will ask for an engineers evaluation on the altered ( changed) portion of the structure.Which would include anchor bolts that are other than what is on the plans

for example...if your plans call for 5/8" diameter 12" Long J bolts embedded ( wet set) 8" into the minimum 4000 psi concrete engineered piers, with 4" of thread stick out for your engineered support post , with proper size washers, and nuts, torqued to a specific torque to hold the structure erect, and down ( wind uplift) per the engineer that designed that structure, you are safe.

BUT if at some point  you decide to install Red Head 1/2" diameter anchor bolts ( not per plans) you are at risk of possible structure failure, if what you decided to change is not designed for that structure
I am not an engineer, however that is my 2cents...it took me about one hour to type this because I had 3 distractions which are 2 dogs and my wife trying to get my attention:) so I hope you understand the point i was trying to make

just be careful, pay attention to detail

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2013, 09:54:14 PM »
I agree with buck, just make sure if you alter the footing at this point make sure it meets your building codes and approved plans. After all you are dealing with a steal structure not a wood framed garage.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2013, 10:21:05 AM »
If it's anything like my neighbor's there isn't any tolerance to speak of. The whole structure bolts together and if it is off as with that one footing then that whole section will be pushed over and then the cross beams for the roof will not line up.
Exactly. One of the workers suggested we have a torch on site in case the holes in the plates need to be blown open.

I stopped in at County Records and talked with 2 inspectors. Neither one offered to look at them and document in any way. They told me since I pulled the permit, I am acting as the Contractor and basically subbed it out to this guy. They said if he had been a licensed contractor in Minnesota, they could go after him.
The guy got an attitude with me again yesterday and I decided to start compiling all texts, emails and options. I'll be sending an email pointing out what I think our options are going forward. If he continues to work on it (he stated that intention yesterday) I'm afraid he'll do a hack job because our working relationship is soured.
Ross
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2013, 12:48:44 PM »
I'd have to rip him a new one. Anyone with an ounce of professionalism would say "I'll take care of it, sorry for the inconvenience. "

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2013, 06:45:13 PM »
Someone else told me about hacking the bolts off and drilling anchors but that is not to the engineering drawings. I guess you can get them as long as maybe 10" but it is not how I told the county how it will be built. I might feel ok with doing that one one of the smaller beams but not really on the four largest ones which we have 3/4x12" "L" bolts in. Also after taking some measurements today, the bolts being off isnt as bad as the footings being off. The beams could very well drop right onto some of the bolts but if its sitting on the edge of the footing or even hanging off, cutting the bolts off and using anchors solves nothing.
I have been gathering all the issues into an email so I could get the dates and times right but now I am having second thoughts about whether I should fire him or let him struggle with the screw ups. I'm also afraid of trying to find another contractor and starting all over and likely loosing the money (about 4K) I've got into it and having to come up with a lot more. My blood pressure and this whole mess has given me a week long headache and I don't know if I could go through with conciliation court and I am sure this guy will not freely give me a refund. I am trying to not "let him have it" while I am angry but feeling that I need to persists.  :D
He informed me yesterday that he had to have a second surgery and again the recovery clock starts ticking at something like 6 weeks. He blamed me for the delays which is ridiculous. The earliest delivery date I have ever had for the building was "tentative" and for the week of Nov 20th. He says it "showing up months late is the issue" Ha! Ok I'm going to get mad again and rip him a new one. lol
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 07:00:52 PM by Rosscoe »
Ross
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2013, 07:24:37 PM »
Someone else told me about hacking the bolts off and drilling anchors but that is not to the engineering drawings. I guess you can get them as long as maybe 10" but it is not how I told the county how it will be built. I might feel ok with doing that one one of the smaller beams but not really on the four largest ones which we have 3/4x12" "L" bolts in. Also after taking some measurements today, the bolts being off isnt as bad as the footings being off. The beams could very well drop right onto some of the bolts but if its sitting on the edge of the footing or even hanging off, cutting the bolts off and using anchors solves nothing.
I have been gathering all the issues into an email so I could get the dates and times right but now I am having second thoughts about whether I should fire him or let him struggle with the screw ups. I'm also afraid of trying to find another contractor and starting all over and likely loosing the money I've got into it and having to come up with a lot more. My blood pressure and this whole mess has given me a week long headache and I don't know if I could go through with conciliation court and I am sure this guy will not freely give me a refund. I am trying to not "let him have it" while I am angry but feeling that I need to persists.  :D
He informed me yesterday that he had to have a second surgery and again the recovery clock starts ticking at something like 6 weeks. He blamed me for the delays which is ridiculous. The earliest delivery date I have ever had for the building was "tentative" and for the week of Nov 20th. He says it "showing up months late is the issue" Ha! Ok I'm going to get mad again and rip him a new one. lol
Gosh! okay, this is not the worse it could be, at least you recognized a potential problem with the pier footings,anchor bolts, before the structure supports were being placed.

Rosscoe, when you get a chance, can you read the fine print on the concrete bags. I am interested in the PSI rating, also the manufactures instruction on how to mix for the PSI stated on the bag. I also want to know what concrete PSI is stated on your engineered plans for your footings/piers.
post them when you can
I don't remember how many piers you have total?