Author Topic: Official CSX19 Rebuild Thread  (Read 30205 times)

Offline wiliermdb

Re: Official CSX19 Rebuild Thread
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2013, 03:36:28 PM »
I got my sheets through a friend that picked it up from a lumber yard near the gulf coast of Louisiana. They sell tons of it to the shrimpers for their boats and there are lots of home boat builders so I got mine relatively cheap.

I just called the two suppliers in New Orleans and they carry Meranti "Aquatek" in all sizes. 1/2 = $102, 5/8 = $126, 3/4 = $139 per sheet. Said he stocks some of the Okoume but not much. Stated he rotates the Aquatek about every 2 months so it's not sitting around long.

Another supplier keeps a marine grade FIR in stock (1/2" = $74 and 3/4" = $93.75) Sells a bunch of it and is great to work with. Also sells a kiln dried PT ply for about the same price.

No Menards down here. Only have Lowe's, HD and Stein Lumber. Quite a few local lumber yards but they all pretty much stock the same items.

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2013, 04:12:45 PM »
I was doing some research and found some resources that said that ALL plywood that is manufactured now is put together with exterior grade glue even for interior use plywoods. Said it was cheaper for the plants to use one glue for all grades of what they were producing. Opinions???

Rich
Red posted something a while back indicating the same info, and I'm with Wex on the cab grade, that's what I am using. I just don't like the warped stuff with voids.
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2013, 04:24:19 PM »
I was doing some research and found some resources that said that ALL plywood that is manufactured now is put together with exterior grade glue even for interior use plywoods. Said it was cheaper for the plants to use one glue for all grades of what they were producing. Opinions???

Rich
Red posted something a while back indicating the same info, and I'm with Wex on the cab grade, that's what I am using. I just don't like the warped stuff with voids.

I agree, that is what I used on Phoenix Rising's Transom and floor this last spring. Solid as a rock so far, but I am interested to see how it held up when I change engines in the spring.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2013, 05:25:32 PM »
I have a question about how much resin people used in their transom and floor projects and how each of you covered the ply to finish it off. One layer of mat, two layers, resin only, etc.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2013, 05:50:06 PM »
I'm going to do this again, because I want to help, not tell you what you have to do to your boat. If you have become a Marine Engineer, or need the head trip, do what you want, it is after all your boat.  Home depot does tell you which plywood has exterior glue and which ones shouldn't be exposed to moisture.

1/2" is more than enough. If you're looking at weight you could use 3/8" It's all getting covered and that's where the real strength is. Anything more is just adding weight to your boat. These are sanded on one side, although I have no problem with voids. A little bondo fills them right up, and strength isn't an issue. A little flash problem herfe the price is $19, not $10.

You may have to pass on the top couple sheets to get a flat one, but it's getting screwed down to the stringers and will be flat aftre that.

Cut them to fit and then give the pieces a couple coats or resin and Acetone 50/50. Remember to double the MEKP.

I have use bi-axial cloth with mat to cover it with, but when Red did Okie-Dokie, he used Roveing with mat. I like that it's really strong. This is a "One shot" deal. Wet the plywood down, lay in the fiberglass that you pre-cut and go over it with resin to fully wet it down. That's it.

You should paint it, or my choice gel-Coat it.  
Remember your original floor and transom lasted 40-50 years and wasn't built this well from the factory. Glues have improved, resins have improved, and you're soaking the plywood in resin on both sides. It will outlast you, ok, it will outlast me and after that yer on yer own. If you have more money than you know what to do with, give it to your local food-shelf, If you just need a "feel good head trip" spend the money on plywood.

'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2013, 06:17:56 PM »
I just came back from Lowes and the exterior 1/2" was $21 per sheet. To be honest, the sanded side looked pretty good and I looked at the other side wasn't all that bad. They also had 5/8" for $26. I will say although heavier, the 5/8" seemed like cleaner sheets. I am going to go with stuff. I think Jerry is correct, done properly, it will be way better than it ever was done in the factory and it will hold up a long time without issue.

Rich

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2013, 08:15:23 PM »
  Home depot does tell you which plywood has exterior glue and which ones shouldn't be exposed to moisture.

Well, my Home Depots suck. That is this first time I've ever seen a sign with that much detail about a sheet of plywood and I frequent three different HD locations and two Lowe's locations. And, don't dare ask someone with a vest or apron a detailed question.

It's not so much the glue, it's the wood. Waterproof glue doesn't do squat if the wood it's holding rots around it. That's where a good sealing job with the thinned resin is very important.

When you seal the top of the floor, do you do the final coat with wax?  I sealed my quick floor repair in the CVX in 2012 with two coats of  resin. One thinned before installation and once again with a full strength coat. I had carpet in there and the water from skiers standing there eventually went through the resin layer and rotted out the floor. This time I will gel coat the entire floor.

Any tips on approx amount of resin it will take to do a CVX 16 floor and transom?  5 gallons? More? As narrow as the floor section is in a CVX 16, my 5/8" ply will only ad about 5 lbs over 1/2 inch. I am replacing the transom, floor and single center stringer.

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2013, 08:21:45 PM »
Here is a pretty good link that explains all the different types of plywood grades, how they are made and what glues are used.

http://www2.wisd.net/it/PLYWOOD.htm

Rich

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2013, 08:35:11 PM »
Check this ad out that I found on Craigslist. It is in Asheville which is 2.5 hours away from me but I have three offices up in that area. Think I hear a business trip calling very soon. Oh yeah, I'll have to borrow the company pickup truck.  ::) Look through the pictures, can't beat that price for the 1/2" and that is the good stuff. I'm in! I'll stop looking now, will head up there next week and pick some up.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mad/4151239713.html

Rich
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 08:37:25 PM by CVZ18Fan »

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2013, 08:49:37 PM »
ROAD TRIP!!!

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2013, 09:05:27 PM »
Heck yeah, to bad you guys aren't closer, I'd pick up a truck full and we could have a floor replacement party. LOL

Rich

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2013, 09:15:26 PM »
can't beat that price for the 1/2" and that is the good stuff. I'm in! I'll stop looking now, will head up there next week and pick some up.

Rich... slow down man, take a breath... you're on Glastron overload! Don't worry, it happens to the best of us. Seriously though, you've got time. You still have to check into the stringers and transom and get that all taken care of. Besides, lots of info and opinions to soak in here from everyone who has chimed in. Food for thought, and purely my opinion, and only that. This wood has fewer plys, meaning less strength. Especially when looking at thinner sheets. Boats flex. Flex cracks fiberglass AND gelcoat (we've seen that a thousand times). Cracks seep water, which gets trapped, and rots wood (regardless of glue). So, it is my OPINION that thicker wood, sealed well, with healthy fiberglass added, filled underneath with ridgid floatation, and topped with rubber-backed marine carpet might be the ticket. Opinion only.
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2013, 09:28:31 PM »
Ok,ok.....

So are you saying I'd be better off with the 5/8" exterior ply or are you saying to get 3/4 cabinet grade ?

Rich

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2013, 09:33:36 PM »
Ok,ok.....

So are you saying I'd be better off with the 5/8" exterior ply or are you saying to get 3/4 cabinet grade ?

Rich

I'm saying think it all through. Like I said, lots of different schools of thought here from guys who have been around the block and done trial and error. In the end, it's your project and your call. Just look back over this thread, kick it around, see what else pops into your head or on this thread for a few days. You'll come up with the answer.  ;D In the meantime, keep chasing the rot. Make sure you're at the end of the trail there.
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2013, 09:35:01 PM »
Ok,ok.....

Rich

I'm saying think it all through. Like I said, lots of different schools of thought here from guys who have been around the block and done trial and error. In the end, it's your project and your call. Just look back over this thread, kick it around, see what else pops into your head or on this thread for a few days. You'll come up with the answer.  ;D In the meantime, keep chasing the rot. Make sure you're at the end of the trail there.

You beat me to it we.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2013, 09:41:59 PM »
Thanks guys.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2013, 12:07:15 AM »
The day I asked the question ....

Fiberglass ...
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=3647.0

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2013, 07:05:05 AM »
I believe there is an error in the plywood testing. In video #1, the section where he is comparing the two pieces that have been submerged in water, ice, snow, etc., he points out the football shaped void fillers and states that is found in marine plywood. WRONG!! If you read the specs for marine ply to be classified as TRUE marine ply that there are minute, if any, voids inside and zero surface voids. I don't know what type of ply he is claiming is marine ply but the three types I've seen in person have several layers and the outside looks like furniture grade. No little football plugs.

I called a few places both here and in the Austin area and inquired about what type of ply they use for transoms and floors. Everyone of them stated certified marine ply. Reason being, and especially down her in Louisiana, is that you want a ply with very little to no voids in the interior due to the high humidity in our climate. Two local shops stated they started out using standard exterior grade ply and found that in our climate with high humidity and added water (rain, dripping skiers) that they saw many of there jobs rot from the inside out even after coating all surfaces with resin and mat/cloth. When they would cut the wood out they would find pockets of water inside the ply.

Several times I've removed the rear seat access cushion on my CVX to find the entire bilge area covered in water from the high humidity. It looked as if you took a spray bottle and just sprayed everything under the splash well with it. Water dripping from the underside of the splash well. Now, this may not be an issue for those living up north with lower humidity levels. We experience 85 - 100% humidity levels for about 5 months. Boat carpet can take up to 3 days or more to dry if you don't leave it out in the sun to dry after a day on the water.

I'll stick with the marine ply I have and I still make my donation to the food bank every quarter.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 07:28:56 AM by wiliermdb »

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2013, 07:07:26 AM »
Thanks Greg, going through that one and reading.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2013, 07:32:06 AM »
I think no matter what you use and do ...With the advice in this thread ... It will be a much better job then the one Glastron did ...
My transom was two pieces of plywood ( could have been marine, looked like pretty good stuff) screwed together with four screws with a layer of glass over it.
Lasted 30 years ....
Would have lasted longer if PO had sealed the speedo pilot tube holes better !