Author Topic: 1991 Glastron 1900 rebuild (code name whitey)  (Read 124422 times)

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
Re: 1991 Glastron 1900 rebuild (code name whitey)
« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2015, 09:30:59 AM »
thanks for the offer, but the flat windows wont fit.
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2015, 09:07:34 PM »
i lived through my first experience with gelcoat, took 1 gal
Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2015, 08:39:41 AM »
looks good.  Did you get some of the gel that express had?
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2015, 08:51:56 AM »
i did, they did not give me as great a deal on it but i think it was the way to go.
the epoxy Red uses is $65 for a 2 gal kit but they don't ship UPS, or at least that's what they told me.
hirshfeilds stocks the same basic epoxy from devoe, $110 for a 2 gal kit. so its a similar price to gel.
i am vary pleased with the look.

found a package on my front steps this morning.
i now have a windshield :D
Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: March 15, 2015, 10:03:42 PM »
port side is naked
Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2015, 09:55:15 AM »
How did you like the eraser wheel to remove the decals?
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: March 16, 2015, 10:16:07 AM »
actually did not work out, it turned the gelcoat brown (too hot maybe) prob not a big deal cuz im painting that part but it was also faster to use a scraper and a heat gun and the minor scratching from the scraper all gets sanded out.
maybe i was using it wrong.
i can see where it would work well on paint/clearcoat, on the GT i made a heck of a mess getting the old numbers off, took lots of buffing to fix it :/
still need to wet-sand the starboard side, then start fixing/filling on the bottom.
i'm hoping to order some paint this week
Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #127 on: March 16, 2015, 12:09:39 PM »
A razor blade scrapper has always worked well for me on things like this. Do it out in the hot sun and they come off pretty easy.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: March 31, 2015, 04:12:52 PM »
well... its time to make it look cool !
after talking to many well informed individuals
Shawn, OlRed
and Gil, Colin and Cvxtreme over on the national site

i should start out by pointing out that most everybody told me to "paint it" including most of the internet.
but OlRed's comment was somthing like "its lot easier to paint but it don't look like flake in Gel"

so here i am up to my a** in gel coat.
mostly i just wanted to try it, and the initial calculations seemed like it would be lots more work but less money.
and i figured i could recover from mistakes easier/cheaper than messing up a bunch of expensive paint.
not sure either is actually true but thats all ok.
boat is hanging from the ceiling of the garage and i did not want to try to spray the gelcoat up, so i tried rolling it, let me tell ya that did not turn out well, i figured i could deal with the texture but i selected the wrong type of roller and did not back out when i should have.
roller slid around a lot and there was lots of lumps and bumps, and i had it kick in the pan too what a mess.
ok that was last week, all in the past, i'm almost done sanding so i can try to shoot it. though i have to make some test shots (im having fish eye issues, prob bad air) so i need to work that out.
in the mean time in between sanding i have shot some flake tests with decent results, but it takes lots of flake (aprox 30% by vol to clear gel) and it barley comes out of a 2.3mm tip.

i need a dump gun, any chance there is one here in MN i can borrow ?

otherwise i will be buying one soon, also seriously considering some .015 and .025 square apple red flake from vintage sled paint.
that just about sums up the progress so far, here is a pix of the best and most dense test panel i shot with .015 hex flake from express, but as always a picture does not do it justice .
Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline V153

« Reply #129 on: March 31, 2015, 05:35:50 PM »
Once ya get yer shooting technique down. I'm thinkin "Retina Red"?

Warning! The flake'll blind the unsuspecting ...
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline Jerry

« Reply #130 on: March 31, 2015, 06:50:07 PM »
I shot the gel-coat with my HVLP gun, but you need to keep track of things because it clogs up. A color coat with a final one with wax. then after it drys clean with prepsol, and buff. then clear-coat with flake, and a final with wax prepsol, and then multiple clears, because if you don't get enough clear you WILL rub through and get silver flake.

'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #131 on: March 31, 2015, 08:04:52 PM »
Keep up the good work Joe. It is not easy, but rewarding.
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #132 on: March 31, 2015, 08:28:16 PM »
I shot two coats of clear on the z with .015 flake, and I also had to go up to a 1.9mm tip to get any product.  Finish went done heavy first coat, then I tried to thin with reducer.  Two coats left a nice "color", but very significant orange peel.  Had I shot the flake with binder, I would likely have needed 4-6 coats to capture all the flake.  End result would have looked more like gel, but flake gun go through much more flake.  What you have looks good, it will just take some coats and wet sanding to make it look really smooth.  Great progress, mine is still in storage right now.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: April 01, 2015, 09:18:48 AM »
I've been following your post (thread theft .. LOL) on CGOA ...
Some interesting info ...

Re-gelcoating
http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10561

Offline Jerry

« Reply #134 on: April 01, 2015, 10:55:00 AM »
WOW! Gel-coat doesn't dry in the presence of air. for the color coat you should do 2 full coats, then a 10% thinned coat with 3%wax in it. That will harden so you can wet sand and use a wax remover like Prep-sol. You need all the wax off before the clear goes on because Gel won't stick to the wax. Then clear or clear/w flake, only more or fewer coats depending. Gel is very heat sensitive, I turned the heat in the garage way up to get it to cure.

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #135 on: April 01, 2015, 11:12:03 AM »
if you mix 50% with duratec additive it will cure without wax and be sandable.
im not sure how im using the duratec yet, at 20% the gel comes out of a 2.3mm tip ok but with flake in it its kinda tough, also at 20% still need wax for the final coat
i am still experimenting, some say duratec will yellow, but if used on the last shot of clear it will all get sanded off anyway.
i have read all thoes posts and the notes from Red several times, and will have to read again to get it all to sink in.
the dump gun seems like a great way to get that much flake out of the gun, even though im putting a red base coat on, im looking for nearly 100% flake coverage.
then decide what im doing, as with most of this there are several ways to do it, and all have pros and cons.
Jerry, what did you thin with ?
Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Jerry

« Reply #136 on: April 01, 2015, 11:44:24 AM »
I use duratec too, but only in the final coat. You don't want the lower coats to cure, but I found you really need the wax to get a hard cure or it will ball up when sanding. If you can't sand with like a 1000 grit on a DA without balling it may be hardened, but not cured. It's strange stuff, but I like it better than paint.

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #137 on: April 02, 2015, 12:11:19 AM »
Hi Joe
I got your email while we on vacation, and of course, I didn't respond at that time and forgot to after that. :(
Sorry about your roller effort didn't work for you. but as we discussed on the phone, I think ?  you need help to do that, one rolling on the gel with the roller, and someone right behind you with a really soft brush to "tip it" lightly, evening out the gel, and smoothing it out as well, you must have had a deep roller, or soaked the roller heavy, I use a short nap roller when I done that, 1/4" nap, the foam roller would be ok, but they come apart, you just need to cover the project, not too thick.

Looking at your test panel, you got a Lot of flake there, makes for more orange peel that's hard to work with, but you are gonna have that any way, just a Lot less when you use less flake and put on more coats reduced for a thinner smoother coverage, that's what works for me anyway. The base color is the color you select, the flake makes the base color dazzle, It takes a Lot of flake to get 100% coverage all right, but you don't have to put it on all at once, several coats with a spoon full of flake works best for me, don't stop up the gun, thin it down some, quite a bit, and anyone looking for a place where the flake don't cover the base color is just looking too close. The flake make's it sparkle, and looking from across the harbor, or the street, it's dazzling, looks good.  I don't have all the percentages, Jerry knows all that, and he's usually right, I just put in what works for me with out having to figure stuff like that out, but thinning the flake coats, less flake, gives you more depth to the appearance, then you must add several coats of just plain clear, if you add three coats of clear with flake, add 4 coats of plain clear, not thinned so much, that way you don't have to worry about sanding into your pretty red flake, that will make it look like you added silver if you are using metal flake, small black lines it you are using a polyester flake, either way you don't want to sand into the flake.  Remember, we are re-coating boats, backwards from when they were built, when they were built, the clear was shot into a mold, a Lot of it, then the flake was shot onto the clear, and a Lot of that, then they layed up the cloth, or shot it with a chopper gun to build the hull, but now that we got the old boats, 30 years later, we got to go at it the other way around, and trying to make them look perfect.
Something I didn't share with you on the phone, "my bad" I drilled out the orifice on my primer gun to shoot the flake ? don't really know to what size ?  I bought a dump gun, that was an experience for sure, point it up towards the ceiling going to project, pull the trigger, then point it to the project, never releasing the trigger until it's empty, if you do it drips product onto the project, it's not a valve, then release as you point it back up to the ceiling, and if that don't sound like a mess, you haven't used one, but if you want to try one you can have mine, really, I think they are great for making molds, and I bought a couple nozzle's to go with it, Oh, then you got to buy the cups and plastic bags that goes with it, pain in the butt for me, I put it on the shelf, drilled out my primer gun and went back to work.

I used 6 ounces of flake on the gold boat, 8 ounces or Gary's boat, that was a Lot of flake in my opinion, but I had to mix more green in that one, he wanted more green than aqua, but one that one didn't sparkle any more than the others, just appeared to be more green. I used 11 quarts of clear, with and with-out flake on both, I think, I think maybe more clear on Gary's boat, it was Dazzling, Barb helped me on the gold boat, but I don't think she did on Gary's boat, but she would remember, we mixed up all the flake coats, several coats, and didn't add the mekp until I was ready to use them, shot the flake coats and clear coats all at once, took a long time it seemed, only adding the wax in the last top coats, come out a depth about as thick as a nickel, maybe a new penny. Adding wax is a "seal" to help cure the gel, you don't have to use it if you want to wait on it to cure, but it is quite an advantage for a quicker cure, but you Got to get all the wax off to shoot another coat of anything, I use mek for that and everything else, lots of it, before sanding.  On a base coat, like Jerry said, make that like a finish coat, add the wax to the top coat of your base color, make that coat like you want your finish to look like, then wipe it down with mek, sand it to the finish you want, then wipe it again with mek, or it will cause "fish eye's" like you had wd-40 sprayed in the shop, or refrigerant, any kind of penetrant in the air, oil in the compressor will do the same thing, but wax being left on the color coat will do the same thing.  Just sanding does not remove all the wax residue, wiping it down with mek will, and it's important to use multiple rags to do that. 

Depth to a flake finish is what's Dazzling, if you put all the flake on top of the base color, you got a pretty finish, and it sparkle's but when you put the flake on in several coats, depth, you get a deep dazzling finish, just takes a Lot of time and work.  When someone use's a metallic paint on a project, you can only see the metallic that is close to the top of the paint job, that's really thin paint ya know, all the rest of the metallic is covered up by the color, you only see the sparkle of whats laying on top of the thinned clear paint, we don't do gel coat that way, we put the base color down then we add the sparkle, thin coats with flake, give it some depth, put Lot's of clear, spend a week sanding and polishing, hoping we don't get into the flake itself, and being absolutely amazed at our work when we get done, and if anyone want's to look close enough to find imperfections ... they are just lookin too close, tell them to back up some.   :)

All that said,  is why I'm going to Paint my next one with the PPG products.

1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #138 on: April 04, 2015, 09:43:07 AM »
Whats a dump gun?
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #139 on: April 04, 2015, 10:27:02 PM »
Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !