General Category > Iowa Events / Meets

2015 CGOAIA Meet Planning

<< < (2/7) > >>

75starflight:

--- Quote from: fireman24mn on June 18, 2014, 08:55:13 AM ---Lake looks like it is pretty shallow.  http://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/fish/maps/fis74.pdf

Thinking there would not be a lot of room to run multiple boats. I remember the lake just being long and skinny.

If Okoboji was chosen there is many different places to stay and the chain of lakes is pretty large. I have stayed by Arnolds Park area before and a couple of the campgrounds on the west side of the lake. We used to go over there a few times a year when I lived in IA

--- End quote ---

I was reading yesterday on the Emmetsburg city web site that the lake is only a half mile wide and 4 miles long. Not much room to run IMO. I would say check out Okoboji in the fall at this point, and I would be happy to meet you there on a weekend to look it over.

Jason:

--- Quote from: dorelse on June 18, 2014, 12:16:55 AM ---...even if it took 200 yards for me to get on plane and I could only cruise at 28 mph...still great days.

--- End quote ---

What dis I miss Doran? Does not sound good.

I think Okoboji would be great as well. A little closer for us MN/WI folks. Chains are always fun. I have not been out there but have always wanted to check it out.

dorelse:
Yeah, I'm not going to Okoboji...but, by all means, go for it.  Those lakes are crazy busy on the weekends, multiple deaths there, BWI arrests...no thanks.

I agree the area has a lot to offer, and Emmetsburg may be too small, but if you want 'room to run' Okoboji isn't it either.

dorelse:

--- Quote from: Jason on June 18, 2014, 09:29:32 AM ---
--- Quote from: dorelse on June 18, 2014, 12:16:55 AM ---...even if it took 200 yards for me to get on plane and I could only cruise at 28 mph...still great days.

--- End quote ---

What dis I miss Doran? Does not sound good.

I think Okoboji would be great as well. A little closer for us MN/WI folks. Chains are always fun. I have not been out there but have always wanted to check it out.

--- End quote ---

I have (what I'm sure) is a minor issue, in that I my accelerator pump gasket disintegrated, so I have no 'punch it' acceleration, but I also have no throttle speed either.  Engine starves for fuel at about 2k rpms...and I can't get it over that without the motor killing.

Mike H. is sending over his 898 carb from his CVZ (old motor) so I can try it.

WetRaider:
The advantage the state park had over the Corps of Engineers parks was the cabin availability and the extra wide boat ramp.  Even with "low" water, there are six lanes.  Last year's high water provided side-by-side room for 10 launches at the same time.  I think we've all made comments about how the tents were tipped just a bit. 
I can let the Rathbun Lake Area Chamber of Commerce know about the bathroom issues.  They aren't DNR, but if they feel that they've lost visitors because of it, they might get some new voices in the discussion.  Hard to get a state agency to move forward on anything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version