Author Topic: '91 19CSS restoration has begun  (Read 18678 times)

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: '91 19CSS restoration has begun
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2015, 09:46:52 AM »
Looks great!
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline bnz433

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2015, 09:52:44 AM »
One thing the 19CSS is notorious for is poor fuel filling.  Burps and blows back up the fill neck.  So I routed the forward vent directly to the port side, rather than all the way towards the bilge, and then to the port side.  This eliminates any low spots that prevent proper venting, and I should actually be able to a) fill the tank, and b) not wear any gasoline when filling on the trailer. 

Almost there!  But thanks for the encouragement, gents!!  Lots of tips and advice gleaned from everyone's experience.  Once I have a chance, I'll try to do a writeup of my lessons learned, wish I did it different, etc.  At least for the first timers out there (like me)!!

Jamie

Offline Shorty

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2015, 04:41:28 PM »
Lookin good! Keep up the good work!

Offline bnz433

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2015, 10:08:02 AM »
Project really stalled out on me.  Life happens, but bottom line is several attempts to get the headliner glued back up all failed miserably.  There's a lot of material to hang in these later model CSS's. 

Attempt #1 - 3M Super 90 contact adhesive (supposedly for interiors, etc.).  By the next day, it was all falling back down.  And the boat is in my garage, so temps are not the contributor.  I'm pretty sure it is the pure weight of the stock headliner (all in great shape, BTW).

Attempt #2 - Outdoor carpet glue from Lowes - many forum dudes recommended this for the carpet, and the challenge is getting it on an overhead application.  So I rolled (thick nap roller) a hefty coat, then used a proper notched trowel to get it spread evenly.  Which was difficult.  I let it start to set up a bit, because when it's pure wet, it won't hold.  I made up several "stanchions" with cross pieces made of thin plywood strips (1/4") to provide some support as the glue set up.  I let it set for 2 days with a fan circulating air (it's an air-cure glue after all).  Took the stands down after 48hrs, and the next morning, it was all sagging again. 

Dammit - what to try next???

So I searched a bunch of upholstery forums, go-fast boat forums (because they got big, long, cuddies, etc.), Hot Rodding forums, etc.  I even called a couple local car and boat upholstery dudes.  ALL sources pointed to using DAP Weldwood HHR (high heat resistant) Contact Cement.  Applying this requires a spray gun (which I don't have), and you can only buy the stuff from an upholstery supply place (none local to me).  So I bought a gallon with a pro-grade pneumatic spray gun at www.yourautotrim.com.  It was $70 for both, and can only ship via ground (I think out of OH, so not a far haul).  I took off on a biz trip, and by the time I got home, it had been sitting on my porch for around 3 days. 

So this weekend I should (fingers crossed) be able to get the headliner up, and the carpet installed (didn't wanna mess with gluing the headliner after the carpet is in out of fear of dripping glue all over it!!!).  If all goes well, I might even get the cockpit in and wired up before I fly to Minneapolis for work on Sunday afternoon. 

GEEZ!  These projects never go according to plan, do they!!!

Jamie

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2015, 10:37:07 AM »
OUCH !
Do you have to grind out all that old glue now ?

"GEEZ!  These projects never go according to plan, do they!!!"

Mine never do ...

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2015, 10:44:10 AM »
No ones ever do.
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline bnz433

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2015, 11:40:54 AM »
OUCH !
Do you have to grind out all that old glue now ?

We shall see!  After the carpet glue attempt, which failed, the surface is pretty smooth (result of using paint rollers to roll out wrinkles, etc.).  I'll do a test spot where I can easily continue if it works, or remove it if it don't. 

Jamie

Offline carlsoncvx18

• Donate members
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2015, 12:39:44 PM »
I would try a contact spray made by sta put.  It comes in red and clear o have used it for attaching Formica and stainless steel in cabs of elevators.  The stuff works great if applied per manufactor. 
1987 CVX18.     1968 Glastron alpha sail boat
1977 GT150
1986 CV23
1984 Intimiadator
1981 CV27
1969 V-180 fundeck

Offline bnz433

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2015, 12:15:30 PM »
Wow!  It's been so long, this thread dropped to the bottom half of page THREE!   :'(

My headliner install went off great with the spray contact cement recommended by the hot rod and go-fast boat dudes! 

Carpet installed, just some minor trimming and tweaking here and there.  It was a PITA to do with the top half on.  Would be a whole lot easier to install a one-piece carpet with the hull split.  So I ended up with a small seam way up in the nose of the bow, but get's covered by a mattress so, no worries. 

I need to figure out how best to cover the relocated fuel tank vent line (moved to the port side, instead of the long loop down to the port side of the stern).  And then finish the trim/sealing around the raised seat bases I made (eliminated any holes into the hull). 

I now have the cuddy bulkhead in, and laid in the cockpit/console.  Next up is to hook up the wiring so I can get it running again before installing the rest of the interior (rear bench, coolers, etc.).  This way, I can get a load test done to determine if I have any other engine work.  When I bought the boat last Oct, we only ran it on muffs.  Hope to get it wet in the next weekend or two...'cause the cold weather isn't far off up here. 

Jamie

Offline bnz433

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2020, 10:00:11 AM »
BACK FROM THE "DEAD"!!! 

It's amazing how I made decent progress/speed early on....then, well, LIFE!  So here's where I am RIGHT NOW!  ON THE WATER!!!  I'll have owned this boat for SIX YEARS this October, and it's registered, running and we're using the heck out of it as of about 3 weeks ago!!

As "fast" as the floor/stringer project went early on, the rest stacked up on me. 

1) Had to rebuild the Quicksilver controls (gobbed up, dirty grease, so detents, etc. weren't working, plus new Neutral safety switch, throttle only button was corroded, etc.).
2) Replaced all of the gauges with new.  But after the helm is installed, it ain't easy to get in there.  Ended up with a couple wiring snafus I had to sort.
3) Got it running on muffs, but then had to diagnose a crank-no-start issue....so replaced the engine harness, coil, slave solenoid, etc.  Turned out that the lanyard kill switch was wired backwards by some dummy (me!!). 
4) Had too much slop in the drive.  Turned out to be the pivot pin and tiller arm were corroded.  Got a new pin, bushing, seals, bolts, etc., and did a DIY "JR Marine" type of access to replace without pulling the engine and transom plate (that was scary to start out, but no problem)
5) Replaced gimble bearing, all bellows, lower shift cable/bellows, etc. 
6) Divorce # 2, but got to keep the house, the boat, the '77 Camaro and my Triumph Thunderbird Storm (he who dies with the most toys wins, right???).   
7) Because of #6 above, have had more "free evenings" and weekends to finally finish this thing up!

Sorry to resurrect this one, but I couldn't resist!  And really, truly wanted to thank all of you guys for your comment/support on this as I went through it, but also for your own project threads that really helped me figure this one out along the way! 

Hope to bump into some of you folks, if'n you're ever around Upstate NY (Sacandaga, Lake George, Hudson River, etc.).  And just maybe I'll be able to make it out to the meet next year!!!

Oh!  By the way....her names is "It's About Time!!!"  Cuz, well, it's about time I got it done.  And life is all "about time"....making time, using your time, enjoying your time!!!

Stay Well, Fellas (and Gals)!!!!
Jamie

Offline Tmstibbe

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2020, 11:02:03 PM »
Great that you were able to finish up the project and enjoy the results.  I had my 91 CSS on the water this past weekend, although not at the convention at Redwing, MN.   My outing on Windigo Lake (Hayward, WI) was the first time in 3 years for the boat to be on water.  Everything was working well on the boat, as nothing more than servicing the water pump and lower unit oil,  was completed prior to using the boat.  There was a new battery and new gas filter installed before launching.   I will go to the 2021 convention, provided the virus is no longer an issue.  I read thru your thread again and the amount of work to rebuild this boat was no small task.  Keep boating.