Author Topic: So this happened...  (Read 3616 times)

Offline WrenchWench

So this happened...
« on: July 27, 2016, 04:30:14 PM »

That would certainly cause the slew of problems I was having. Glad I brought it in memorial day weekend because it took one month to get it back. Seems to run like a champ now, still finicky to start sometimes, but I think it's more operator error on my part and I need to turn up the idle a few clicks after the shop turned it down to run it on the hose. Also let them finally disconnect the VRO after they beat me up about it a third time. Running premix now.

Got it back one week before leaving for a week long camping trip; halfway through that the tilt/trim motor locked up solid. Trim rods all the way out, of course. Could putter around but no running at any speeds for the rest of the vacation. Got back, ordered one through Amazon and put it on myself. Bled the system and we're up and running again.

Hoping maybe we can go one day without something breaking?

I'd like to try out the new top too!

Jen ~1989 Sierra 160~

Jen ~ 1989 Sierra 160

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: So this happened...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 09:12:58 AM »
I had a 1994 60HP Johnson on the back of my 1972 V-156, great motors !
Mine was rebuilt by a local guy after one of the cylinders melted down, he disconnected the VRO also.
He told me to replace the thermostat every year, which sounded weird ... But after the first year motor wouldn't idle or run at low speeds (docking) so did some reading and found that motor wouldn't get up to operating temp's and wouldn't idle.
Replaced it and ran great, until the next year ... LOL

Hard to tell from picture, did you blow a base gasket ?

Offline WrenchWench

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 10:09:26 AM »
Yes, leaking between the case halves. I think it was becoming progressively worse until it finally got so bad that it overheated from running so lean. That coupled with a chunk of plastic in my 3rd carb created the syptoms that i couldn't chase down and I ended up bringing it to a professional. She's back together with Yamabond now so it'll be good from now until armageddon.

Thermostat? Interesting. I'll have to check into that.

I did a lot of reading on the VRO system and there are arguments for both sides. But, the last thing I'm sure anyone wants to read is another thread about VRO so I'll spare everyone, but the shop pretty much put the fear of God in me and after the scare over whether the cylinders were scored or not I was understandably gun-shy so I went along with the disconnect.

Jen ~1989 Sierra 160~

Jen ~ 1989 Sierra 160

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 10:17:46 AM »
I disconnected the VRO after almost burning up my 115 HP Johnson. No regrets for the extra work in premixing the gas and oil, as I know that every drop of gas going into the carburetors has the correct lubricant in it.

My head gasket was replaced about two years ago, and the old one was disintegrating.   
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 12:59:13 PM »
Can't remember the reason P.O. melted the piston, think it was a plugged up carb from improper storage and/or bad gas, he had to bore out that cylinder and replace piston with over sized one.
Guy that rebuilt and sold me the Johnson told me he would hook up the VRO, and it did have the "type 3" or newest version of fuel pump, but he would not warranty motor if I did ...
I didn't have room under splash well with the two 6 gal. gas tanks anyhow ... so never tried it.

I did do some reading into VRO also, some go years without problems and others are not so lucky.
Friend of mine is second owner of a fishing boat, about a late 80's model with a 90HP Johnson, he has never done a thing to his VRO system except tape up the cracked rubber lines ... OMG !
Boat get used all summer for fishing and into the fall for hunting ...

I believe the thermostat stays open and motor runs to cold, won't idle or run at low speeds.
He said there are two versions, one is stainless steel and should last longer ... Only lasted one season for me ...

Offline V153

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 05:10:24 PM »
I will refrain from commenting on your bimini top ...
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline WrenchWench

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 03:09:49 PM »
What's the problem with the top? You have advice or are you just fishing?

Jen ~1989 Sierra 160~

Jen ~ 1989 Sierra 160

Offline V153

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 06:50:30 PM »
Top's fine, if you're 7 feet tall. I would suggest some side mounts below the windows. And if you stack it aft, you need to turn it around so the main frame's on the bottom of the stack.

"Fishing"? No, this isn't Facebook.
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline WrenchWench

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 10:03:44 AM »
I appreciate the help. I realize it is way up there, but my boyfriend is 6'2" and if he can't stand up without racking his head on it I'm afraid it'll end up at the bottom of the lake.

Regardless, I did think about putting the brackets below the windows too, but it's too wide for inside and too narrow for outside, since I measured at the point where the existing hinges were, on the side windows.

I thought it was backwards too, but that's how the assembly directions showed it. I think I'd tend to agree with you, regardless of which side has the "front" tag sewed on it.

I'll do some rearranging and let you know if I figure out a better areangement. It was about 90 degrees the day I put it on and I'd had about enough by the time I got that far!

Jen ~1989 Sierra 160~

Jen ~ 1989 Sierra 160