General Category > Members Profiles / Introductions

New guy Glastron V-166

(1/8) > >>

Aj1:
Hello all, new member here, I just thought I'd say hi and share my classic Glastron with you all. My dad bought this boat in the mid 80's and it has spent much of its life on the trailer with the exception of 1 or 2 times a year at the family lake cabin. That said, sadly it has also not had the greatest of care, unfortunately the transom and the stringers are nearly completely rotten. I bought it from my dad this past summer and used it a bit and then at the end of the season embarked on the repair of this classic boat.  It is probably not worth the expense but I cannot bear to se it trashed, especially when the hull is as good as it is. So, I am rebuilding it and also upgrading it, I have taken many photos already and will endeavor to add them as I go along in an effort to get suggestions as well as help others considering this! Attached is a photo of my classic Glastron as well as a few of the beginning of my deconstruction, the floor was so soft in the back that I literally used only a box cutter and my hand to pull the board up! :-/

Aj1:
Here it is!

Oldfishguy:
Awesome introduction, and welcome.

I think most of us have gone through the rebuilding process and I think you have a good handle on it as well. Looks like a nice clean hull, that will be a fun boat to run, especially being a family aerloom.

Plugcheck:
       Welcome to the site and a further welcome to the draw of the classic Glastron.   There is a wealth of information  to be found here regarding the restoration of your craft.  As a suggestion, please look through the archives related to stringer/floor replacement and fiberglass work, when you get stuck there is help.  The restoration threads may not be the exact model of your boat, but the same process generally applies to all the Glastrons.   After looking through the threads, you will notice that there is multiple ways to accomplish  a given task, most craftsmen have their process and of course their budgets to consider.   You may also notice not to ask questions largely governed by opinion such as what material to use for stringers/transom, engine oils, or what is the best prop.  These topics have been covered numerous times and are well documented.  Not suggesting you don't ask, but if you do, getting a "rolling eyes" emoji, you'll know why.    Restoring a classic Glastron is worth the effort, but it can be hard work and have significant costs associated with the project, but if your willing to put in the time, it can be very satisfying.   Should you require someone else to perform the work, prepare for a bit of sticker shock, as a full restoration is very labor intensive and only increases as the size of the boat does.   Your story is a familiar one, there have been numerous owners who have had boats previously owners by other family members.   

When your restoration is complete consider inside storage when not in use, and your craft will likely live long enough to be handed down to your grandchildren.  If outdoor storage is your only choice, invest in the best cover/top you can afford.  Good luck, Michael. 

Hyperacme:
Welcome to the forum AJ1 !

Hull / Gel look good, seats look good, floor not so good ...
Glastron's didn't have the best hull drainage designs, and you see the results.
Like Mike said, do some reading, ask some questions, get your grinder and "Go for it" !

Should run pretty good with the V4 Johnson on the stern !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version