Author Topic: Cvx16 oem stringer/floor/ransom questions  (Read 18286 times)

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: Cvx16 oem stringer/floor/ransom questions
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2017, 09:07:01 AM »
Normal for G/C would be covered with fiberglass then painted.

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2017, 09:35:31 AM »
From factory the inside hull of the boat is rarely painted, it is just glass and resin.

Factory process is; spray clear gel into mold, spray flake/gel in mold, spray base color in mold, spray fiberglass/ resin mix in mold, hand layup fiberglass sheets in mold, install stringers & glass, install floor, install carpet, seats, etc.

Think of the bilge. From the factory I don't think any of them had gel on them.

If you are redoing a boat I would add a layer of gel to the floor and bilge area. Water can slowly seep through fiberglass and resin however it won't seep through gel.
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2017, 09:52:47 AM »
My V-156 and CV16 had sheet of fiberglass over transom and under splash well painted a gray.
Guess I'm not sure if it was paint or some form of gel ?

Offline pyro225

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2017, 11:30:20 AM »
I will take a pic but the inside transom defo looks just like paint - when you make up you new transom do you bond the two 1/2 inch pieces together outside of boat and then when drived bond them to the hull or do you do it all in one?

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2017, 01:11:32 PM »
We bonded two sheets together with biaxle sandwiched between and then clamped, then put transom wood into hull and bonded / clamped to hull and tabbed corners, then covered with sheet of fiberglass.
Can't see any reason you couldn't do it all in one step, but you only have 10 to 15 mins. until resin kicks, so you would need to hurry and hope you have every thing set up right and that everything go's smooth/well.

Even with four people working on mine ... the 10 to 15 min. time frame go's very quick, and if it kicks before your done it would be a mess !

Offline pyro225

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2017, 05:28:24 PM »
Hmm based on what you said I think I will order the slow catalyst to buy me a bit more time as there will likely only be two of us or just me at some point.

How thick biaxial are you putting in just one 600 sheet?

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2017, 07:49:13 PM »
We did this four years ago ...
I did a bunch of reading on fiberglass / resins / wood ... So when I went to Express Composites I knew ( a little ... LOL) about what he was telling me.
I told him what I had and what I was going to do, he told me what to get and how much ...
I don't remember exact details of what it was ... 1089 or something like that ...
Joe or Shawn ... or others might know what it was or what you need.

Two people is fine ...
Cut and fit fiberglass cloth, then one guy mixing resin and one guy glassing.

Offline pyro225

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2017, 01:42:17 AM »
1089 is that we weight or the bixial you used? As I say I've had a little read but Ian new to this...

Here's my transom plan...

Split hull and cut out (if it needs cutting) old transom.

Use as a template on 12mm birch ply and cut out 2x these templates.

Mix up resin and then paint it on both pieces (one side of both) and roll on a sheet of the biaxial before before clamping together two wet sides with biaxial together.

When dry remove clamps and mix up as thin a mix recommended and pour it all over one side of my sandwich roll on a sheet of glass... let it dry... do the same with the other side...

When sandwich is done put a loads of resin (thick mix) on one side and on the hull side and clamp together (not sure if I need another glass sheet) and let it dry and reassemble ( oh and if tabs were cut I will need to retain)

Am I missing anything

Offline pyro225

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2017, 06:54:38 AM »
Just another update and question further to the above - cut out the splash well this morning and pressure washed it - the two side supports running the length of the boat  still seem glassed well and strong I can't see any center stringer so not sure if these are the stringers? Or if there is one in the middle under all that glass??? What are your opinions?

I'm thinking of laying all the floor except the last foot from the transom then when I split it chop the last foot of those stringers off and replacing or bolting and glassing another bit for additional strength from the sides it only because that splash well site full of water...

What do you think?

Offline pyro225

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2017, 06:59:17 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2017, 08:36:50 AM »
The stuff that we used from express composites is called double bias 1808.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2017, 08:39:38 AM »
Drill into the stringers with the big drillbit like half inch or something, inspect the chips that come out if they're perfectly dry you could get by leaving them, if there's any sign of them being wet take them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline pyro225

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2017, 08:43:42 AM »
Ok - are they the stringers then would you say? You don't thing there is one in the middle under all the glass?

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2017, 09:08:25 AM »
Found a thread with some pictures of the USA version CVX16 with center stringer.

CVX 16 gets a new floor
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=5388.0

Pictures are missing but go's into details on supply's and method's

79 CVX 16 Transom help
http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=4864
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 09:15:07 AM by Hyperacme »

Offline pyro225

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2017, 12:38:33 PM »
Argh f*****g boat - this boat I bought - the one with the new floor and solid transom - that turned up with neither- now those stringers I'm guessing at this point they are the stringers well I drilled right in the well and mush came back I drilled a foot back and damp wood came out and it gets progressively dryer as far up as I can get it... I really really really really don't want to change the whole stringers from front to back it will triple the time of the job not to mention cost... I will need to rip everything up under the front had a look there floor and a structure for the tank there...

Could i either a) go old school and just put a single stringer in the middle at the bottom center like you guys mostly had over there? This will still be a massiv pain but less invasive I could take the tank out and just cut out for access... I could then glass it and if necessary brace old to new.

B) run new stringers parellel to old and bolt and glass in. Again could be a little more selective up front with the saw)

C) cut the stringers from windshield back replace join and reglass.

My preference order would be C,A,B

Are any of those realistically available to me?

Offline pyro225

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2017, 03:48:41 PM »
Hmmm been stressing out a bit and reading loads a lot of people seem to think it you take the glass off the top and tilt the bow up and leave for a month they will start naturally drying...

Any ideas?

Anyway that aside the reason I am struggling with this is that the boat is outside - no inside option and summer is ending... on a bit of a timeline and the transom was a massive bump in the road... as i say cutting and grinding these would make it a massive issue.

My brain is leaning more towards option a - the actual hull makeup seems identical to the single stringers I have seen and theoretically if I use poly resin the floor would need minimal prepping it's clean glass.

Does anyone know what size or type of wood it is? 3x2 pine or something? Can anyone see any immediate issues with my theory? I don't think the will be good enough alone the old stringers as they are but think I will take the tops of anyway....

Also if I do go this route as there is glass on the floor and I literally just clean it up, resin the ends and glass it in? Or will it need building up I read somewhere?

What's do you guys think to this approach?

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2017, 05:15:35 PM »
You are at a point many of us have already been, some of us several times.  You find some rot, then cut out, then find more rot, then cut, repeat.  I personally am not found of bonding, bolting, or otherwise attaching new stringers to old ones.  Sistering is done successfully by some, I'm just not trusting of it in performance oriented boats.  Ok, now I'll step off my soapbox.  Please take your time, don't hurry the process, or frustration will set in.  If the trailer can support the hull, or use a cradle, then do all the cutting, fitting of parts, and if winter sets in, wait till spring to glass everything in.  You could use the winter to research, study, lay out the plan that's best, then really roll along in the spring.  Also allows time to acquire supplies so it's not such a financial hit in a short time period.  Of course this advice is without the specific knowledge of your storage/shop situation.   
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline pyro225

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2017, 02:46:05 AM »
Thanks plug check - if your not a fan of sticking old to new how about the larger single stringer idea - i set my hull up the way it was over in the us with one larger stringer in the center? the glass is already nice and clean and i can give it a good going over with acetone. that way it should be structurally sound..? if i were to do that what wood would you recommend for stringer? pine? and what size is it from stock/should i use?

Offline pyro225

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2017, 03:00:07 AM »
Also thanks Gregg btw my brain is functioning again I could roughly work out timber size from those pics for the centre beam it's just the material I'd like to know and if I can just glass to the existing glass floor or I need to put spacers in (read on one of these many restoration posts about hard spots although the center is already hard so don't know if it matters)

Offline pyro225

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2017, 06:56:31 AM »
Right last post until i hear back from someone (don't want to be annoying!)

Spent last 30mins of my lunch break with a grinder grinding the top glass off the stringers.

As suspected under the splash well and just in front where the crossmember is was glass badly and has black rotten spots. (only an inch or two) my friend grinder and i ground out as much black as we could until we got to solid wood. The majority is a nice light coloured sold wood. its warm this week so i will leave her uncovered hopefully to dry a bit, i will then hopefully do the new centre stringer once i hear back from you guys if its ok to glass straight to the glass on the floor, and the final thing before the floor goes on will be to mix some super thin resin and drench the old stringers in that before a sheet of glass is places back on.

i think the centre string is 3x2 so just waiting on best material before i man up and order - does it bend up at the bow or is it cut there?