Author Topic: Cvx16 oem stringer/floor/ransom questions  (Read 18273 times)

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
Re: Cvx16 oem stringer/floor/ransom questions
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2017, 12:17:56 PM »
"Final job of the day was being a man and cutting all the way to the bulk head out of the floor! Most said it but I wasn’t hearing it lol. Can I get away with leaving the bow floor normally? I am going to make a small incision for the end of the string it goes up the bow about 1.5ft"

Don't feel bad about taking some time to come to that conclusion of cleaning everything out; we all have had that experience when taking apart our craft. 

It would be fair to say most of us have spider cracks in our exterior hull as well, with most being in the stern, exterior of the wood transom.  It appears it is caused by the hull flexing slightly especially when the wood structure behind it starts to rot and become less stable.  If I'm guessing correct your center keel beam was failing and someone just added two extra beams along side it and then ran screws from the outside into the beams for extra strength. Odd, no doubt about it, but very fixable as you are finding out.  Personally, I think I'd go back to just one center keel beam.

As far as the bow floor:  I replaced to just past the kickboard on the floor and the remaining bow floor beyond the driver's feet is original.  I simply spliced the keel beam in, added cross wood supports and glass/resin it into a seamless appearance. 

Gel or paint the bottom, it is up to you; is anybody really ever going to see the bottom though?  I'd wait to make that decision last and see what you have energy for.   

Best of luck.

David
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 12:24:09 PM by Oldfishguy »
1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120

Offline pyro225

Re: Cvx16 oem stringer/floor/ransom questions
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2017, 04:28:54 PM »
Hi David - those screw I’m pretty sure aren’t from the beams - they’re about 4 inches above where the floor sits so that is very confusing!?!? I’m starting to think a different thing now - I’ve been pming an old guy who worked for roger Clark and he seems to think they did it over here with a ski hatch option... could this be the case? It would make sense why there are two stringers to make s channel - and why there is no evidence of a single string - the glass looks original in the center and is untouched?

Either way they are drying out nicely they were just under 50% moisture 3 weeks ago when I ground the tops off now we are at mid 30s... I will eventually after fitting the new center poor a very acetone thinned mix all over the old...

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk