Author Topic: Am I making a mistake???  (Read 8868 times)

Offline Dyounge

Am I making a mistake???
« on: September 13, 2017, 11:59:42 AM »
Hello everyone, just registered. I was searching for a 1968-69 GT 160 bowrider and Google brought me to your GCOTD section. There is a clean looking and well documented one for sale in New Jersey. I've requested more pictures and some video, which he's agreed to provide this weekend. The wife and I love the look of these boats. But the hydro-electric 115hp Johnson has me a little nervous. How reliable are these and if there are issues, how difficult/expensive will the repairs be? Any general experience/advice with this type of boat is appreciated. Go for it or stay away?

http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=1077.60
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/boa/d/1969-glastron-gt160-rare-take/6267057455.html

Thanks in advance!

Offline 75starflight

Re: Am I making a mistake???
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 12:18:03 PM »
Welcome to the group.
The 68-69 GT160 is a sweet boat. Buddy of mine five blocks from me has a red one.

things to check when you go to see it in person. check the transom, prod it with a flat blade screwdriver. All these old boats we love have some sort of rot 90% of the time. tilt the motor up and wiggle it up and down to see if the transom is solid if soft spots are not found. If the transom has a metal plate of any sort supporting the motor inquire why. (most likely the transom has a problem and the metal is a band-aid not a fix) Also, check the stringers with the screw driver. you should be able to access them through the ski locker in the bow or through the bow storage.

On the motor I would have no clue.

Otherwise, if it looks good overall I would try to get it.

Edit: also when checking the transom check the floor behind the seat back for soft spots also.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 12:26:07 PM by 75starflight »
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 01:08:29 PM »
First of all...that's a LOT of money for one of those.  Yes, they're cool...$7k cool?  That's a strong ask...

Hopefully you have pictures/proof that the transom, stingers & floor have been replaced?  Not just the hatches...but the hull's been split, new stringers, transom and everything?

Like any tri-hull, they're going to ride rough, and they are stern heavy, so the bow will rise significantly unless you have passengers up front.

idk...I guess it depends how badly you want one.  Replacing the wood in the hull is the hard part...swapping OB's is the easy part in my book.  Lots of used one's if that one dies.

Welcome to the forums!
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 01:11:32 PM »
I have owned two of the 69-70 rude with hydraulic shift.  If you are the type of person who will check the fluid, keep and eye on the overall maintenance, then they are fine IMHO.  Never check or maintain them and they can be problematic.  I check and test all my drives in the fall, then in the spring before usage.  According to ad, all the wood is new.  Check anyway.  If truly solid as described, it might be worth his asking price.  If your unsure, get someone to look it over for you, worth the fee to have a pro survey it.   Good luck.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 02:03:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum Dyounge !

Looks like a nice one, poke around for wood rot near motor mount holes, around bilge bowl /hull drain / stringer area, and where speedo pilot tube screws in.  Not an easy task to find rot in a transom, until you rip it apart ...
His ad makes it sound like original unrestored boat.
His price should come down by mid winter, unless it sells ... Kind of a gamble on your part ...
But ... You'll have about that much into restoring one in bad shape.

Old O/B motors are cheap ... kind of ... Find a newer one in great shape and paint / decal it like an older motor.

Offline Dyounge

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 03:39:13 PM »
Thank you everyone. Keep it coming!

So, I won't worry about the motor too much.

According to seller, transom, floor, stringers have all been replaced. I'll check for photo proof of that. I am not looking for a major project. To be clear, I am in Minnesota and the boat is in New Jersey, so I would be purchasing sight unseen outside of the photos and videos he will be providing this weekend. I will be requesting some very specific videos based on some of the advice you've provided already.

Having the boat surveyed would be great, but I thought that was only for larger, more expensive boats. Are there surveyors that would take a look at a boat like this for a reasonable rate? If so, any recommendations on how to go about finding a reputable one halfway across the country? Besides a shot in the dark google search of course.

dorelse - these ride rough? i know its light, but with it mostly being a v-hull and all of the aqua-lift II advertisements, I expected the ride to be decent. I am getting rid of an old aluminum 14' Starcraft Falcon I restored partly because it rides so rough. Due to seating arrangement, I figured it would be stern heavy and some smart tabs may be in store. Think that'll help? There will pretty much always be two kids up front but there's not much weight to them!

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 04:23:17 PM »
Well, rough is all relative right?  Its not a true v-hull, so there's going to be some slap to it..but if you're on typical Mn lakes, you'll be fine.

Here's the boat from the ebay auction a few months ago:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Glastron-GT-160-/322479176040?hash=item4b1541b968%3Ag%3AnLwAAOSw44BYeTyq&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=KiHaU8RA22cra43aI3q7TY%252Bvmzs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 04:30:40 PM »
I own a tri-hull from 1975 and my buddy has a 68 gt160. The rough is only in the bow and mid areas when crossing rough wakes. Other wise it is a smooth and stable ride. Oh and the cockpit of the 68 gt160 does not generally feel the what the bow does.

When a tri-hull bow slaps the water the water curls under the hull creating a resistance that makes it hit hard. Unlike a v-hull where the water displaces  and clears the hull giving a somewhat softer ride.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 04:32:58 PM by 75starflight »
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 04:38:42 PM »
Yep, I'm not trying to over sell the ride...if you're on your typical MN lake, it'll be great.  I don't know that I'd love it on the St. Croix every weekend...that's all I'm trying to get across.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 04:39:40 PM »
A video of my 75 v179 and my buddy's gt160 at the meet a few years back.

https://youtu.be/niCtm554guQ
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 04:43:19 PM »
What's all this on the stern?

I see the tow hooks, but what's all the flaking/peeling about?  Gel doesn't do that...
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 05:11:48 PM »
I see what dorelse is talking about on the paint peeling. My buddy's gt160 has a trim piece that goes on both sides of the transom where the motor mounts. It looks like that transom was not installed very well or they replaced it from the outside because the transom gave way under load. That area looks done very poorly.

IMO I would avoid it at that amount and distance.

Look at the pictures of the stern of the boat on the ebay link that was posted earlier in this thread.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Dyounge

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 06:34:44 PM »
Hmmmm....

75starflight - thank you very much for posting that eBay auction. Transom and motor look pretty rough there. Doesn't look like that in the current craigslist ad. Was that pre-restoration? Was it just covered up or done correctly? I'll question him about it, but i'm getting wary now. Definite red flag. Also thanks for the video. Really helps to see it on the water with a family in it. And you're right, its much more tri-hully than i was giving it credit for. Your buddy still have his GT160? If so, he wanna sell it??!!

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 09:42:33 PM »
Actually dorelse posted the eBay link.

Yes my buddy does still have it. I do not think he will sell it. It has been in his family since his grandfather purchased it new in 1968 in Grand Island NE. He is the third owner, it is all original, but in need of a little tlc but doesn't look too bad for an all original hull, interior and motor.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 10:15:07 PM »
I don't know. I'm with Doran. That boat is way over priced. Yes it is a cool boat. Extremely rare???? I wouldn't say that. I'd walk away. Especially since it's that far away and there are some goofy things going on especially with the Transom. Hard to tell if upholstery is original. Thats a $3000 boat IMO.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 11:05:07 PM »
I don't know. I'm with Doran. That boat is way over priced. Yes it is a cool boat. Extremely rare???? I wouldn't say that. I'd walk away. Especially since it's that far away and there are some goofy things going on especially with the Transom. Hard to tell if upholstery is original. Thats a $3000 boat IMO.

I was in the $2500 range...the Anti-fouling paint is a negative IMO as well.   Is the the older style that has you interested?  I ask only b/c if you like the 'drive from the rear' aspect...there's the 1981/82 gx-150 model as well.  Also very cool boats.

1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Dyounge

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 07:18:31 PM »
Thank you again everyone. Work and kids' soccer have been getting in the way of my boat search. Rude! I think I dodged a bullet. Seller has now changed ad to local pickup only. I had too many questions and he did not have enough good answers. I'm still pretty dead set on a '68-69 GT160 and will just have to be patient and wait for the right one. I checked out the GX 150 but hard to beat '60's styling and the bow seating isn't as big. Thanks again and I'll be sure to ask for more advice when I find another one.

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 07:25:56 PM »
Thank you again everyone. Work and kids' soccer have been getting in the way of my boat search. Rude! I think I dodged a bullet. Seller has now changed ad to local pickup only. I had too many questions and he did not have enough good answers. I'm still pretty dead set on a '68-69 GT160 and will just have to be patient and wait for the right one. I checked out the GX 150 but hard to beat '60's styling and the bow seating isn't as big. Thanks again and I'll be sure to ask for more advice when I find another one.

They're very unique for sure.  Good luck! 

Did Jerry Sellner sell his?
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Dyounge

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 04:46:23 PM »
Hey everybody. Just wanted to send a quick update. After negotiating the price down a bit, I bit the bullet and bought the green one from Jersey. Needs some cosmetic work this winter but seems solid. Upholstery is in phenomenal shape, floor is solid. Foam in the rear is wet, though so I’ll be ripping that out and verifying stringers are alright. Took it out last Friday when it was almost 80 degrees and it ran great. Winterized it this past weekend. Hope it treats us well but either way I’m super pumped and will deal with whatever comes up. Thanks everyone for the advice and the Minnesota Glastron population just went up by one.

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 05:12:15 PM »
That is a nice clean looking machine!

Congratulations!
1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120