Author Topic: JB Combs  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
JB Combs
« on: August 16, 2020, 06:30:03 PM »
This is the latest info we have on JB's injury's from Diane at 10:00 AM.

I just spoke with one of the surgeons. They just finished surgery. He said that the surgery itself went as planned with them being able to reposition the vertebrae, clean out bone and cartilage fragments , place artificial discs, pins and plates and fusions as previously planned. The MRI will take place either later Sunday or Monday. Probably will get a CT as well. I think the injury was to C4/C5 area. He said there was no evidence of nerves being torn so that's good. Also, they will keep him in ICU for the next 5 days or so, before he will get transferred to a different unit. While in the ICU, his blood pressure will be induced higher because they have evidence that the increased blood flow helps the injured area recover faster.

Offline Mrs.TheDeuceMan

• Donate members
Re: JB Combs
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 07:20:39 PM »
His daughter posted This on fb

To our loved ones:
The last few days have been increasingly more difficult, and we are trying to get our bearings but I will use this opportunity to give some information on my spunky Pappa. On Saturday he sustained some significant injury to his cervical spinal cord, causing what we hope will be reversible paralysis from the shoulders down. This happened while at a boating convention in Minnesota, and therefore we are here at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN until further notice. He is stable, and I will be able to see him daily, however unfortunately due to Covid-19 I will be the only visitor allowed during the duration of this time here. He had emergency surgery to fuse the C3-C7 vertebrae and it is very possible that more surgeries are to come. He does have his phone but for obvious reasons can’t really use it at this time. If you want to send well wishes or packages We will do our best to relay, and you can DM me for room number and address information. Even though I had struggled to get more information out, we have had an incredible out-pour of love and support and I really just want to say thank you to everyone who has reached out, prayed, and wished well. My dad is an incredible person, the most alive and rambunctious, seizing all opportunities for adventure, challenge, and is incredibly driven to make the best of any situation. I have hope for the future, and I will continue to have hope. But please keep praying, we all love him so much and I desperately want to see him smiling and happy and free someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
1990 Glastron Futura V249

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 05:45:02 PM »
JB's FB page with updates ..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3487475734597963/

Update 6 hours ago ..
To our tribe; My dad loves you, and we all can’t be more thankful for the constant flow of kindness. It’s so hard to not have visitors right now, but are learning to lean into our technology and adapt with the times. Thankfully my Pappa is very good at adapting and we will continue to embrace change as it comes. Here is a picture of his beautiful smile during a ‘visit’ yesterday.

I love you daddy. You are my hero.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 05:46:55 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline Mrs.TheDeuceMan

• Donate members
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 08:13:54 PM »

Offline Mrs.TheDeuceMan

• Donate members
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 08:14:24 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3487475734597963/?ref=share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Smash wrote ..12hr ago ..

Good Morning Tribe, each day Dad has been re-learning some important skills regarding his current level of functioning. He still has full range of motion of his head, neck and shoulders, and is able to shrug his shoulders in all directions. Yesterday he once again reported tingling in his fingers and toes that start in the tips and move upward and exit at the top of the extremity. Dad says that it feels like an electrical shock that is not painful (yay). He was able to sit up at the edge of his bed, and keep his head steady while doing shoulder exercises.

-He is still deeply grieving, but already showing signs of his grit and determination. He deeply values his friendships, and stated that he fears they will be no more if/when he can no longer participate in all of these activities he loves. We have shared many of your kind words with him, however it is hard for him to currently look through all of this for himself due to the circumstances.

*Disclaimer: I know this will not be true, however I felt it was right to share his fears with you all as it will have to be you that proves him wrong.

Thank you so so so much for all the continued love.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 10:40:31 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline 74 Carlson the II

• 74 CV16
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 03:05:42 PM »
JB, hope you have great recovery. Can't wait to hang with you again.
Steve
74 CV16 115 merc inline 87'
76 CV16 115 merc inline 76' 1150
72 CV19 outboard, no engine YET. Speed? (Unlimited)!!!!!!

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 09:07:35 PM »
Smash Combs
2m

I am absolutely in shock at the quick response of family and friends so far regarding our fundraiser. Thank you all so much for the generosity, it is difficult for me to effectively communicate my gratitude in this moment but I promise you all that I am making note of all of this kindness and will be reaching out as soon as I can to properly send our deepest thanks for everything.

Dad has had some muscle contraction on the back side of his forearm, and a muscle contraction on his bicep today while doing some repositioning. (These are very vague but we are considering this another indicator of a hopeful sign). He has been working very hard on the details he can control, such as intentional eating (protein as well as vegetables, making his meals count), relaxing his neck muscles and doing mindful breathing techniques, resting and listening to his bodies indicators for sleep, and finding reasons to laugh and smile.

You all have given him so many reasons to smile and feel overwhelming gratitude, and I just can't thank you enough. I will try to be diligent with updates as we figure out where he will be doing his rehabilitation, and as he continues to heal.

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 04:33:36 PM »
Here is the link to the GO FUND ME. Remember to pretend like you are buying new boat parts when you enter the $$$ into the Donte spot.

https://gf.me/u/ys7bjk
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft