General Category > General Discussion

In the water by April???

(1/5) > >>

C512Jim:
Was watching with my son the great 2017 cgoamn videos on youtube, even commented on the one that looked like it had an 86 cvx18 at the beginning of the video.  Never imagined one would appear later that day that needed a new home.  Picked it up on very wintery one lane open expressway 2.5 hr trip home.  Was late looking at it, never even uncovered but knew it needs floor maybe much more.  Think was a great find after just a little cleaning off road grime and salt.

Plugcheck:
Gel coat appears to be in decent shape.  Trailer could use some love, but other than that, really cant tell what else it might need.   To be ready in April, I would suggest getting it inside somewhere warm for a few days, and spending some time investigating the likely suspects, floor, stringers, transom.   Spider cracks in the gel coat can sometimes be indicators of flexing caused by weakened structures.   Basic checks on the engine and outdrive can be made, but making full running type tests might be a problem, since you would have to go back and perform all the winterizing tasks again if cold storage was in its future.    Depending on your time and resources, being on the water in April if full floor, stringer, and transom replacement is warranted is a bit optimistic.    A few soft spots isn't horrible, enjoy it this season while collecting the components for a rebuild, then do all the tear out in the fall, rebuild over winter if garage availability exists.   Take some time and review some of the threads on here, plenty of info related to floors, stringers, and transoms.

fireman24mn:
I started a CVX 18 project in March and had the boat in the water in May. I didn't have to do stringers. However I did do a complete paint job and complete new interior.

It can be done.

Hyperacme:
That one went for cheap, or was on CL for a pretty good price.
Flake / gel looks good.
GREAT SCORE !

CVX Fever:

--- Code: ---That one went for cheap, or was on CL for a pretty good price.
--- End code ---

Agree Greg, if it hadn't been so far away I would have bought it for a parts boat. Better someone grabbed it who plans on bringing it back!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version