General Category > Members Profiles / Introductions

Newbie from MN

<< < (6/6)

Hyperacme:
Yep !

redneckgearhead:

--- Quote from: Hyperacme on April 28, 2018, 08:56:06 PM ---Yep !

--- End quote ---
Got em on order.  I should have just ordered them when I ordered the impeller so now I'm paying shipping twice. Oh well, such is life.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

redneckgearhead:
I was gonna order online, but a good friend recommended a local guy so I think I'll source the parts local.  I pulled the lower unit and found the culprit.  A leakingshift shaft seal.  Found lots of sediment in it as well. 

Rich_V174SS:

--- Quote from: redneckgearhead on April 28, 2018, 09:11:40 PM ---I was gonna order online, but a good friend recommended a local guy so I think I'll source the parts local.  I pulled the lower unit and found the culprit.  A leakingshift shaft seal.  Found lots of sediment in it as well. 

--- End quote ---

I do a lot of these. Nine times out of ten the suspect seal is the drive shaft seal below the water pump and my shop has the upper bearing/seal assembly in stock. I'm replacing them constantly. One thing you have to look out for is if there's any pitting or surface wear on the drive shaft where it makes contact with the oil seal. If there's any roughness or grooves worn into the shaft you'll probably have to replace the shaft because it will always leak even with a new seal.

redneckgearhead:

--- Quote from: Rich_V174SS on April 29, 2018, 11:31:27 AM ---I do a lot of these. Nine times out of ten the suspect seal is the drive shaft seal below the water pump and my shop has the upper bearing/seal assembly in stock. I'm replacing them constantly. One thing you have to look out for is if there's any pitting or surface wear on the drive shaft where it makes contact with the oil seal. If there's any roughness or grooves worn into the shaft you'll probably have to replace the shaft because it will always leak even with a new seal.

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the advice!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version