General Category > Members Profiles / Introductions

Newbie from MN

<< < (2/6) > >>

redneckgearhead:
Thanks for the warm welcome!  Hopefully this beautiful weather we're having continues and Ill be able to pick up my boat this friday.  I received my Seloc repair/service manual from MarineEngine.com for the motor today and glancing through it, I am impressed with the detailed instruction.  I have been researching the needed maintenance that should be done on any new used boat.  The seller had it "serviced" last fall but I think I am going to change the oil in the lower unit, replace the impeller,  clean and inspect the wheel bearings and maybe clean the carbs just for my own peace of mind.  After I make certain it is mechanically as it should be I am going to turn my attention the cosmetic side of things.  Wanting to try and bring back some of the original shine with a cut and buff and I have found two new windshields but holy sticker shock, 185$ a side.  Ill post some pics when the time to pick it up arrives.       

Hyperacme:
Drain and inspect fuel tank, new fuel hose and primer bulb.
Is VRO disconnected ?

redneckgearhead:

--- Quote from: Hyperacme on April 23, 2018, 07:25:04 PM ---Drain and inspect fuel tank, new fuel hose and primer bulb.
Is VRO disconnected ?

--- End quote ---

Will add those to the list along with spark plugs.  The previous owner mixed the fuel so I am assuming the vro is disconnected, but have been told that 83 was the last year for non vro? 

redneckgearhead:
Ok so tomorrow at noon I'm going to do a final inspection and hopefully bring it home. 

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hyperacme:
Stomp around on floor, looking for soft spot.
Poke around transom area with something sharp looking for rot, taking note of area's around thru bolt holes.
With trailer connected to car/truck and using care as not to hurt yourself, try to rip motor off transom, noting flex of transom.
Standing on cavitation plate jumping and pulling .. BUT be careful ...
Not the greatest test, but will show a very weak transom.

Check for cracks in fiberglass around transom and fiberglass covering inside of transom wood.
There was a crack in the fiberglass on my transom (white line top center of first picture) when I pushed on it, you could feel it was soft.
Ripped it off (second picture) and found the speedo pilot tube mounts had not been sealed and water got in and rotted wood. I was able to remove wood in that area with just my hands.

Hope boat checks out for you ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version