Author Topic: starting the rebuild and fiberglass supplies  (Read 6362 times)

Offline melinprov

Re: starting the rebuild and fiberglass supplies
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2018, 07:34:29 PM »
so-just a update,I've been working on it here and there--- when I can--- but the weather has been in the 90s and sometimes the humidity has been around 60% so I have been waiting for some better days. I have been able to get out and purchase more items that I will need in the future and I have been able to fiberglass over the transom to replace the fiberglass mat that wore off over the years, I have some bilge paint to apply also. While looking for some info on laminating and resins and humidity I did find this thesis with documented information on the effects of humidity on a build    http://www.montana.edu/composites/documents/Mei%20Li%20thesis.pdf

Offline melinprov

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2018, 07:36:39 PM »
 mind you this guy was building wind turbines with e glass but I think its good info

Offline melinprov

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2018, 02:54:00 PM »
got the other two done, it came out a little battered but I think it will be OK. I had problems with the front but may go back on some of it. Weathers in the 90s again so I will work on other non fiberglass things till it goes back down again. Some years we hit the 100s and some it stays around 85 most of the summer. Humidity is high this year also so far. Planning out the deck too-so that I can include some of my modifications around the float boxes in the rear. I bought some PVC that I am going to use as drain tubes to the rear so that I can foam over everything under the deck

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2018, 11:41:38 PM »
Any progress is better than no progress.  Even in 90+ temps, maybe some shade and good fans could help extend the temperature range your comfortable with working in.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline melinprov

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2018, 07:29:24 AM »
You are right Plug Check,Im beginning to figure this out and now work inside the garage and have a large fan set up. I still check the weather report in the AM and plan accordingly. So far so good!

Offline melinprov

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2018, 07:35:45 AM »
and here's my simple drain system, I ran a split PVC pipe down both sides of the center and will foam over it after using PL glue to secure it and I will build a front bulkhead and put flexible hose from all the separate front bow rider areas to the open chamber before the foam. the back area on the sides above will be all foam also with a smaller pipe to the rear and a hole in the back bilge box on either side.I'm hoping that this area will never see any water --but just in case

Offline melinprov

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2018, 06:41:10 PM »
where I am at now-ran out of resin but it should be here monday

Offline melinprov

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2018, 06:13:28 PM »
so...working mostly on the weekends and during the day before it goes over 95-Im ready to drop in and do the deck