General Category > General Discussion

My "72" CV16 Restoration

(1/17) > >>

wpstarling:
Since I'm going to try and document my restoration of the "72" CV16 I bought I figured it would be better to start a thread here rather than use my Intro or Wanted threads.  Recently bought this 1972 Glastron Carlson CV-16, it's titled in FL as a 1972 but looking at the ID number it seems to be a 1973 model.  It's got a 1988 Johnson 120 VRO on the back and looks like it's had some work done previously but was then neglected a bit.  I plan to replace the floor and either sand/buff the gel coat or sand/re-paint the boat.

wpstarling:
More Pictures where I started ripping out the floor where it was soft.  Turns out it was rotted.  The top of the floor looked great but once I ripped off that top piece of fiberglass the wood was soft and wet.  Also looks like the transom has been replaced before.  Looks like an OK job, I need to beef up the corners as I can see light come through the fiberglass from it being rather thin.

I do have a question though, in the 2nd picture what do I do with those areas where the white arrows are pointing?  Do i just rip out the wood and foam and leave it or do I need to get some other type of foam, or do I just leave the foam and replace the wood?

Plugcheck:
Those are the flotation boxes, their required use is long been debated.  Some keep them, some folks remove them.  The decision is yours.  I would check them by using a long 3/8" drill bit.  Drill into the foam at the bottom of the space, parrallel to the hull bottom.  If the foam is wet, tear out the boxes.   The old foam, once saturated, will both be heavy and unable to provide critical flotation.   If you opt to replace them, the correct 2lb foam is fairly easy to work.  Some have used the dense construction foam sheets with good results.  I prefer the pour foam because it fills all the voids, deadens sound, and really sticks to stuff well.  You can also make the boxes from fiberglass panels as well if you like, then you have no more wood rot anxiety.

wpstarling:

--- Quote from: Plugcheck on October 18, 2018, 07:50:57 AM ---Those are the flotation boxes, their required use is long been debated.  Some keep them, some folks remove them.  The decision is yours.  I would check them by using a long 3/8" drill bit.  Drill into the foam at the bottom of the space, parrallel to the hull bottom.  If the foam is wet, tear out the boxes.   The old foam, once saturated, will both be heavy and unable to provide critical flotation.   If you opt to replace them, the correct 2lb foam is fairly easy to work.  Some have used the dense construction foam sheets with good results.  I prefer the pour foam because it fills all the voids, deadens sound, and really sticks to stuff well.  You can also make the boxes from fiberglass panels as well if you like, then you have no more wood rot anxiety.

--- End quote ---

Ah, alright.  I'll have to do some research on it.  I've seen it being removed from some of the floor replacement posts on here but wasn't sure if it was the same thing or not. 

a few more questions I thought of:
1- What wood/composite does everyone recommend? I've seen marine grade wood, composite from Express composites and then just regular treated plywood used so is it just price and peace of mind that makes the difference?
2- What fibergalss/resin should I use and where is the best place to buy it?  I do have a West Marine relatively close to me but if I can find something online cheaper then I'd rather do that.
3- Should I paint/coat the transom/bilge area with anything?  Right now it just looks like bare fiberglass and I didn't know if it was beneficial to paint or coat with something.

Thanks guys!

Bill

Hyperacme:
Glastron added the large foam boxes in the rear for level floatation.

I didn't replace mind for a few reasons, wanted more room for storage, I always boat with other people so some one would be close by to help and I do 99% of my boating on rivers, where shore is close by.
Plus .. My boat is insured for more then it's worth … LOL
 If I were to do most of my boating on large lakes by myself I would have added the extra foam. I don't think with my 18 gal. fuel tank in the bow and the other foam in my boat that it would sink, but would sit nose up with motor under water.

The foam in my boxes was dry but transom wood on left side behind box (picture tr1) was so rotted I could remove it with my fingers.
Your bilge bowl is square so they changed the design of stringers in that area. Should look like (picture tr2).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version