Author Topic: Crack On Inner Transom Surface - C-500  (Read 5449 times)

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
Re: Crack On Inner Transom Surface - C-500
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2019, 12:06:05 PM »
I'll use a 3/8ths per your suggestion, Plugcheck, perhaps two inches below one of the bolts, unless you suggest otherwise.

Take a few test "Bores" around the area the washer got pulled in, then go out till you pull good sawdust chips. 

Hyperacme, thanks for the info you sent me. I'm trying to post some more photos, but the internet up here is a tad slow at the moment ....
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline featherbowler

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2019, 12:28:00 PM »
Thank you Dorelse for the comment.

Gregg, the engine is a 1984 Evinrude E115TLCRD.

I'll to some test 'tapping' on the transom today to map out the extent of the issue, and likely will swap out the inner 2 x 1 5/8" washers for a flat bar of metal with holes in it or even angle iron from the hardware store so as to spread out the pressure of the bolt heads. I'll try to get a couple of test drill holes in, too.

Unless everyone thinks it's a bad idea, I'd like to get the boat out on the water today and tomorrow, and then I'll be done for the season. Currently, there are no stress cracks anywhere, other than around the lower washers on the inside, and my hope is to avoid creating any by doing something 'less than smart'.
Erik

1981 C - 500 METRIC

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2019, 03:36:21 PM »
" 1984 Evinrude E115TLCRD "
I know Dave's 1985 is prop rated, but not sure if the 1984's are prop or powerhead ..

Taking it out one last time is your call ..
Take it easy though, you could do more damage.

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2019, 03:47:07 PM »
One last time...
If you add a plate on the inside, and like Gregg said take it easy.
Another thing you could do to make sure the whole transom isn’t week it is with the trailer hooked to your truck tilt the motor up and stand on the cavitation plate if the transom flexes with your weight added to the motor that could be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline featherbowler

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2019, 07:12:51 PM »
Well, sometimes, if you listen carefully, the universe speaks to you.

While getting ready to pull the boat from the 'back forty' to the front of the property to fire her up, I discovered that the steering wouldn't budge. The cable is frozen, so I'll replace that and the 'helm', per the advice of my mechanic back in Detroit. I did stand on the cavitation plate and there was no flex, just the trailer sagging under the weight. While tapping on the outside of the transom, things seemed to be o.k., but it seems to me there's just a little bit of an art to that, given the different tones that can be generated depending on where internal support structures are. On the inside, a bit of a different story. In the photo below, the 'hatched' areas in chalk are solid, and just happen to be, I'm guessing, on top of internal framing. Most of everything else was soft to the touch. I'm guess the outer layers on the inside half of the transom have delaminated or rotted.

With the start of the season of the sport that I was the long-time president of tomorrow, and given the good advice of everyone involved here, my boating season is done. I'll focus on the repair process over the winter / spring, and give the resources on this site a good going over. Btw, the sport, arguably North America's most obscure, is featherbowling (ahh!), with only forty lanes back in Belgium and a few in Northern France, and four for the entire rest of the world. The Cadieux Cafe in Detroit has the only leagues that we are aware of. There's a brewpub in Minneapolis that got their start after visiting us a couple of years ago, who might have something in the way of a league, but I'm not sure. We've been doing our thing in Detroit since 1933!

A very sincere thank you to everyone who has chimed in!
Erik

1981 C - 500 METRIC

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2019, 08:08:55 PM »
The only true way to tell how bad it really is .. is to rip it apart ..
And then your committed to a full repair .. LOL

Here's something else to think about ..
You can pick up a few MPH by lifting your motor to bottom holes on the motor.
In order to do that without cutting holes in your deck .. you'll need a Baystar steering system.
Without checking prices on new NFB system .. guessing $150 to $250 for NFB cable and helm.
A new Baystar will run about $550 to $600 .. Seems like a lot until you've owned / used one !
Just something to think about now that you need new steering system.

I'm going to have to Google "Featherbowling"  ..

Offline featherbowler

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2019, 09:31:25 PM »
Wait, what, no one told be that owning a boat would cost me money!

That's a sweet set-up you have there Gregg. I remember seeing it when perusing the website in the past. I'll check into the Baystar along with the other options. I was unaware of the NFB / No Feed Back systems, thanks for the head's up. What brand of transom saver are you using? Yours has a nice look to it.

Here's some links for you and anyone else who is curious. ESPN did a story on us back in 2015. It focused on one of my best friends, who won our Grand Championship, and then, well, for better and also much worse, a long chain of events got played out. Not mentioned in the lead story is that the culprits involved were eight Ottawa Senator fans visiting Detroit from Canada's capitol for a Senators - Red Wings game. That's my beloved Honda CRV mentioned in the lead paragraph, and I laughed for about five minutes when I first realized that I had been described as a "... kook who believes in Detroit" to the entire world. But true, 'dat!

Enjoy ...

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/13098612/the-inexplicable-story-steve-gosskie-featherbowling

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/13392693/featherbowling-champ-steve-gosskie-stolen-portrait-returns-cadieux-cafe

A video of our league in action ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJlONLxLS_c
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 09:34:24 PM by featherbowler »
Erik

1981 C - 500 METRIC

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2019, 09:39:48 PM »
Boats can be expensive? Who knew?  Unfortunately pretty much anyone that ownes one.     Really not that horrible of job, it's the tear out till you get to solid wood that is the eye opener.  Seems in some cases you just keep going till you run out of wood or rot.    Looked at the weather bowling vids, I guess the closest I came to that was kegeling in Germany.   
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2019, 11:04:21 PM »
Thank you .. It looks brand new from 10 feet away ..   :P

My CV originally came with a Merc with the old clamps and external T & T cylinders, so the transom support plate was to cover scar's from old motor mounts.
T-H marine CMC Machined Transom Support Plates
https://thmarinesupplies.com/collections/performance/products/cmc-machined-transom-support-plates

After lifting motor the tilt cylinder covered my splash well drain hole so I got some transom wedges to get clearance.
T-H marine CMC Transom Wedges
https://thmarinesupplies.com/collections/performance/products/cmc-transom-wedges-2-degree

https://thmarinesupplies.com/collections/performance/products/reverse-transom-wedge

Not sure what your looking for as far as speed, but once you get up into 50 to 55 mph range these boats get to be a hand full, prop torque, steering slop, wave's, wind, etc. can cause chine walk. Having the best steering system available is worth every penny of the high price. Plus it solves all your set up problems. Your call .. NFB are much better then the old systems.

Have you checked (GPS) speed and rpm's ?

Interesting sport .. Got a laugh out of the uses of the feather for the "goal" !