Author Topic: Best Prop for Speed  (Read 19051 times)

Offline V153

Re: Best Prop for Speed
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2015, 09:01:34 PM »
And vice versa ...
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline 17ireid

• 1980 Glastron CVX 16 Deluxe
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2015, 08:01:55 AM »
Yeah I think low 50's would make me happy, if not terrified. Never been that fast in a boat before. However 55 would be nice so I could beat some cars on the highways along the coast. I was just trying to get the most potential out of what I have and not waste power on torque and acceleration figures, when it's not what I really need. I will try to upload some pictures, it's in mid painting sort of. I finished but then there were micro scratches everywhere from wet-sanding and and I dont want to wet-sand more and wear through. Going to do a few more coats with a slightly darker red (Regal Red) and thin as much as I can. Then put it all back together. Will update then too. I attached a photo I don't know if it worked.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 08:10:19 AM by 17ireid »

Offline 17ireid

• 1980 Glastron CVX 16 Deluxe
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2015, 08:05:26 AM »
Sorry meant to use this picture, also yes it does have bottom paint it was and will be used in the ocean. See how that works out, definitely will be the only one in the region, probably for a reason.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2015, 09:25:30 AM »
Steve ...
Straight out from boat launch on WBL is an island, which we take a wide birth of, believe the "rock piles" are around that area.
It's a good lake for prop testing on a week day.

Dave & Doug ...
Guess that make's me " 3/4 Fast " ... LOL
When I mounted motor, I wasn't sure about water pressure and thought one hole from top would be a safe starting point.

17ireid ...
Nice thing about outboards is you can fairly easily change motors ... Do what you can afford now ... you can change your set up latter as your boating budget increases.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 09:29:54 AM by Hyperacme »

Offline Fuzzbutt

• '77 Silver/White CVX16 Deluxe
    • Mykeeshond.com
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2015, 01:14:15 PM »
Yeah I think low 50's would make me happy, if not terrified. Never been that fast in a boat before. However 55 would be nice so I could beat some cars on the highways along the coast. I was just trying to get the most potential out of what I have and not waste power on torque and acceleration figures, when it's not what I really need. I will try to upload some pictures, it's in mid painting sort of. I finished but then there were micro scratches everywhere from wet-sanding and and I dont want to wet-sand more and wear through. Going to do a few more coats with a slightly darker red (Regal Red) and thin as much as I can. Then put it all back together. Will update then too. I attached a photo I don't know if it worked.

A few tips from someone who has had his CVX16 a while. In my hull's first few months with me upper 40's was about it and in a way that was good. There is a HUGE difference between running mid to upper 40's in this hull and running mid 50's. A lot of learning how to drive fast needs to sink in before you get a serious crack at dangerous speeds. And I mean dangerous. Stuff goes south quick the faster you go and our bodies aren't designed for water contact at the velocity you are looking at. In my opinion get used to your hull in the conditions you plan on using it in before you attempt to see how fast you can go.

My CVX16 with a 100HP Johnson hit 56.0 at it's fastest before I hurt the motor. (by the way I'll have $2000 in that "new" motor next time I buy something for the rebuild) For the best control at any speed and especially at anything above 48 the motor needs to be high. A lot higher than you would think is good enough. Speed comes from less resistance in the water. Mine started too deep and even with my 6" setback jack-plate I have yet to get it so high that I loose water pressure. A good friend of mine has a 150HP Evinrude eTec on his CVX16 and spinning a 14.5x24 OMC Raker and up about mid way on a 4" setback jack-plate we saw a very controlled 62MPH with a fair amount left in it. Using more prop pitch actually was less stable. No jack plate and at 1 hole up on the transom even braking 60 was a problem. If that isn't evidence that a low mounted motor can't get this hull to break 60 I don't what is. I am still convinced I could drive his boat to the upper 60's with ease and safely.

Now onto making your hull look good. Wet sanding mine and using very good buffing and wax products helped bring mine back close to looking new.

Finally boating is what is is all about. Having the boat is the thing. What it looks like and how fast it can go is really secondary. Be safe and have fun.
"You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you've made up your mind that you just aren't doing anything productive for the rest of the day."

Offline Tonka Jim

• Donate members
  • 1977 SSV 176 1989 CV 23
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2015, 09:35:36 PM »

Still working on it. It's tough when it's just the two of us, and I don't move real well.

Jerry,

I'm available almost anytime, and would gladly help you play with props.

1977 SSV-176 / '85 115 Merc. - Mine
1989  CV 23 / 350 - 270hp - Kelly's
1968 V-174 / '73 140 I/O - Gifted to Son
1971 Seaking 14' / 1958 Evenrude 7.5 - Gifted to Grandson

Offline Jerry

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2015, 12:26:39 AM »
Thanks Jim. I may take you up on that. I have so much else going on right now.
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker