Author Topic: Brushed on Metalflake application?!  (Read 2789 times)

Offline 17ireid

• 1980 Glastron CVX 16 Deluxe
Brushed on Metalflake application?!
« on: May 23, 2017, 10:47:23 AM »
So I did an experiment (first of many). Hand brushing metal flake, everyone says don't, and they're probably right, but I'm frugal.

Anyway here we go, the first test came out pretty bad but, not without potential. Anyway I started out with a vacuum infused panel of roving. Sanded it, acetone wipe, I would do a tack cloth and more prep but for the sake of time I went for it.

I then mixed up some gelcoat (remember to shake it up for 10 minutes if it's sat for more than 24 hours), tinted it to a sandy color to be a base under the  10% styrene thinner, 2% MEKP. I used an already been used cheap chip brush. Surprisingly It came out really flat, no worse than brushed rustoleum!!

I've used a lot of gelcoat this year and it's really not as bad as it is made out to be in my opinion, very forgiving, just keep a wet edge and be pretty liberal, it'll look a bit thick but, as it cures it'll shrink a bit.

Moving on after it hardened up a bit I got to the moment of truth. Brushing on flake (flake is usually 10-20% by weight to the gelcoat) the first attempt I got excited and forgot to initiate XD (such an idiot) I quickly scraped it off and put it back on. Some of the gelcoat from the coat before mixed with the clear making it a little darker. The first attempt went on better. But, as expected streaks were present, I think this would definitely be fixed with more coats of flake, but I ran out of flake .

Anyway it really wasn't all that bad can definitely be done and not that much more work, less spraying, masking, material, equipment, and cleaning. Of course you still have to sand, but I'm really pleased and think it's worth some more experimenting. Rather than trying more coats (still decent coverage) I'm going to try and get a straw and a jar and see if I can make a dry flake gun you can just blow in. Anyway Ill update on that later.

Offline 17ireid

• 1980 Glastron CVX 16 Deluxe
Re: Brushed on Metalflake application?!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 10:48:04 AM »
The flake flattened out a little more as it cured (not pictured).

Offline fireman24mn

Re: Brushed on Metalflake application?!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 01:04:34 PM »
I have sprayed the flake on both boats I have done. One I did with a dry flake gun, and second one I mixed into an interrcoat clear and sprayed wet. The dry flake gun I think worked better and had better coverage.

Here is a video I seen for a cheap flake gun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8yls34s-eo

Below are the spray samples from my test panels. I sprayed over white, black, and orange. I always heard you should spray over black but the orange was much brighter. The test panels were done with flake gun.

I'm thinking you could roll on the colored gel, then use a small compressor with a dry flake gun, then vacuum or blow off the excess flake, and then roll on the clear.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 01:07:14 PM by fireman24mn »
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft