Author Topic: Sim's small CV23HT project  (Read 2167 times)

Offline Lokoseena

Sim's small CV23HT project
« on: May 11, 2020, 04:11:41 PM »
Hello everyone,

Glade to join the forum I'm from Montreal, Québec. I wasn't looking for a project but ended up stumbling on an ad for a Glastron CV23HT over the winter. Our family has always had boats but I never owned one myself. My old man has a 24 foot pontoon but wants to start passing the torch over to his sons so that we can rely on him and pick up what we can while he's still around. I'm not too too mechanically savvy although I've been slowly rebuilding my 1959 Triumph TR3 with the help of a local fellow club member.

I had fallen in love with the Scimitar a while ago and had not seen nor heard much about the Glastron CV23HT to find out that these promo boats were used to market the James Bond Moonraker movie. Anyone have an idea on how many are left or what they are worth? Asking as I'm embarking on investing some money in the boat but don't want to sink (pun intended) too much money. I can dream right!

The PO had owned Scimitars for the past 20 years and bought the CV23HT so that his daughter could play in the lower area.

What I was told about the boat

lower unit was rebuilt last year
boat was scoped and everything was in immaculate condition
PO started removing the clear coat that seems to have been painted on by the other PO
newly installed stainless Quicksilver Mirage prop

Has anyone had any luck sanding and polishing any of the acrylic windows on the boat? I've seen replacement windows for the some of the other boats but nothing for the CV23HT. I'm also looking to replace the hatch window and I believe there are replacements out there.

Here is my to do list before this summer:

Fix trailer wiring
Clean carpet
Reseal cleats and external hardware to boat
Reupholster rear seat that is cracked (not sure this is a diy)
Remove tree sap from boat and from canvas top
Replace blower hose
Remove old clear coat - lucky me
Compound gel coat
Install battery box, group 31 battery and inverter
Test all the lights and electrical
Buy and install depth finder/GPS/ Tablet???
Polish all chrome
Sand/polish acrylic window or replace if possible $$$
Replace hatch window $$$
Build center wood platform for lower area to sleep
Replace side vents - have not found any direct replacements
Paint switch lettering on dash plastic or replace
Replace Glastron Decal -
Treat fuel to remove water
Flush antifreeze
Check safety gear

Have fun!

Some of the boat was already reupholstered, the bucket seats are still in decent condition, no cracks so I'll probably let them be this season.

Did I miss anything? Putting it down like this is a little overwhelming haha!

« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 04:14:33 PM by Lokoseena »
Glastron CV23HT

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
Re: Sim's small CV23HT project
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 09:32:40 PM »
Not sure about sanding the windshield. Usually they get etched and there is not really a good way to get those out as they go pretty deep. The CV23HT windshield is unique so you'll likely never find a used one. If you call around enough you might be able to find a plexi glass bender within an oven big enough to reproduce your windshields from the old ones. At least from the pictures though your windshield looks pretty nice though.

I have to admit I admire your security measures taken on the boat. Is that "the club" on the prop?
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 10:33:45 PM »
Must be a rough part of Canada to need boots on both wheels.   As for the windshield, it looks like a fairly easy bend and supported both top and bottom.   Remove the screws and use paper to form a cutting guide and mark the holes.   Should be able to use heat guns and slowly bend around the curve as you add screws to hold in place.    Watched a video of a fella do this on a center console boat, and the curves were close to 90 degrees with a much smaller radius than yours.  Maybe a shop would take this on?   
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline nes-cv23

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 06:17:46 AM »
As far as the windshield.. I wouldn’t sand it but you should be able to buff and polish just like the rest of a boat.. I’ve had a couple of very cloudy ones that have turned out very nice and clear up well. Good luck.
84 ssv-151, 76 cvx-16 ss, 77cvx-20 jet, 90 CSS-19, 78 cv-23, 77 gt-150, 2-78 cvx-16, 79cvx-16, 79 cvz-18,  73 cv-16, 74 cv-18, 89 219 Futura, 76 gt-150 jet, 79 cv-23, 02 Gx-225,  1980 intimidator = done!.. 79 hvp175   Now  done?

Offline Lokoseena

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 08:33:16 AM »
Thanks for the information on the windshield. I'll try to polish with PlasticX from Meguiar's and if not move ahead with the 3m headlight polishing kit and test it on the side of the acrylic.

I have to admit I admire your security measures taken on the boat. Is that "the club" on the prop?

Yes! its the club used for steering wheels. Has it laying around in the garage and thought to myself "why not" Can never be to safe.

Must be a rough part of Canada to need boots on both wheels.

On a dual axel I find it better to lock both wheels on the same size in case they simply decide to remove the wheel with the boot on it and would still have one to drive off with.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 08:35:20 AM by Lokoseena »
Glastron CV23HT

Offline RedOctober89

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 10:34:02 AM »
looks like fun!
I installed a RayMarine WIFIsh in my 23 for a depth finder, so I can use it along with the Navionics boating app. I havent had a chance to use the depth finder yet but I love the tablet, works great for maps. A lot more versatile than a marine GPS/ depth finder unit for less money
Andrew C.
1989 Glastron Carlson 23 CSS 350 Mag - Red October
Follow the project on Instagram: redoctober89

Offline Lokoseena

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 02:38:14 PM »
looks like fun!
I installed a RayMarine WIFIsh in my 23 for a depth finder, so I can use it along with the Navionics boating app. I haven't had a chance to use the depth finder yet but I love the tablet, works great for maps. A lot more versatile than a marine GPS/ depth finder unit for less money

I was thinking of going over to a tablet but was worried about the low visibility of tablet in sunlight. I had my Surface Pro out on the deck yesterday and couldn't see a thing. I'm not really looking to fish but need a good GPS/Sonar charts looking at the Garmin echomap, GPSmap or the Lowrance Hook
Glastron CV23HT

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 08:45:35 PM »
The Navionics app on a smartphone works absolutely perfect. My iPhone has great visibility in the sunshine. I mount it with a very sturdy Ram mount. I don’t fish and have no need for a fish finder but Navionics has a great depth map, channel markers, hazards, even adjust depths for tides if you ever boat where you have tides. Tracks your trips, length, top speed, route, as well as other things.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O