Author Topic: CVX/CVZ18 seat pedestal location?  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Scott in nh

CVX/CVZ18 seat pedestal location?
« on: June 06, 2020, 10:04:16 AM »
I did not start with a floor in the boat, so I do not know where the helm seats where screwed to the floor.

Also I am raising the seats by having 3/4" "pedestal spacers" on the bottom and top of the stock seat pedestals (that everyone seems to agree are too low) for a total height increase of 1-1/2".

The bottom one has T-nuts and will be glassed into the floor so no screws will penetrate the base floor (pictured).

I 3D printed some drill out plugs where the bolts will go.

As you can see this is a pretty permanent solution, so I need to get the location right!

I centered the seat on the wheel and put it as far forward as I could but still turn the seat around backwards (which is the entire point of a swiveling seat - no?).

I wouldn't want to be any further back, but I can reach the wheel and throttle lever well enough (I think).

Looking at the few photos I could find showing where the factory did it (pictured), it seems much further forward than I have it.

So where should I mount the seat?

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: CVX/CVZ18 seat pedestal location?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 02:49:53 PM »
Honestly, on my CVZ, I just put the seat bases where ever I was most comfortable with them at.  (I sat in the seat in the boat on the pedestal and marked the position.)
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 02:52:04 PM »
That 2nd picture shows the busiest dash I've ever seen in a Glastron, but as far as seat mounting goes, I believe you're on the right track.  Center on the steering, comfortable distance to dash/controls, and ability to swivel without hitting side/controls.   My z has aftermarket seats, but I could measure the mounts if you want.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 06:34:07 PM »
I ended up (not permanent yet) going forward 2" with the driver seat so that i is even with the passenger seat.

It can't go all he way around, but back as far as I had it was impinging on the backseat legroom.

In testing it out, I could see where you wouldn't be sitting in the seat with it turned 180 deg. anyway, and I think it is probably pretty close to the stock location.