Author Topic: Interest for 2014 Missouri River run  (Read 7505 times)

Offline 75starflight

Interest for 2014 Missouri River run
« on: September 06, 2013, 03:43:08 PM »
Hey all, I am interested to see if anyone would be up for a Missouri river run some time in 2014. I am currently looking at a couple options for this possible event. One would be a run from Blair, NE to Decatur, NE for Lunch and then back or, the other would be from South Sioux city, Ne to Decatur, NE for lunch and then back. From the research I have done on-line it looks like there is a couple nice campgrounds (one in Decatur, NE and one in South Sioux city, ne) if anyone would want to make it a weekend thing.

Amber and I are planning on making a road trip toward the beginning of October to check out the places I have found to make sure they are in good shape (and still there) after the flooding of 2011. We will post some pictures of what we find.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline MrDJ1978

• 1968 GT 160
Re: Interest for 2014 Missouri River run
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 09:09:49 AM »
I would definitely go for a weekend trip

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 05:25:46 PM »
Its a possibility...but I'd have to give up one of the other trips.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 11:12:33 PM »
Its a possibility...but I'd have to give up one of the other trips.

You could still keep you other trips Doran, its only a two hour drive to the launch at Blair from Des moines or 2.5hr to the launch at Decatur. You could make it a day trip if you wanted to.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline makinwaves

• Aim high!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 08:30:31 PM »
Mike and I would be interested depending on who's boat is running and time permitting.  We've vowed to make Sundays "Fundays".
1978 CV-23 460/ JET

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 09:09:26 PM »
     Having spent considerable time on the Mo river over the years I can tell you the river experience changed considerably from the 2011 flooding.   A number of marina's and fun destinations got wiped out.   The good news is that a number of places have been rebuilt and are back open even better than before.   Camping should be both available and plentiful.   When water levels are not too high, there is plenty of sand bars.   Personally I like to power up river then drift back, so in at Omaha or Blair, up to Decatur, then float back sounds like lots of fun.   Could even go downtown and park on the river, they have temp marina.   The Iowa side has lots of sand and a pedestrian bridge.   Storz is reopening the old "Ricks Boat Yard" location which could make for a destination also.  The day use marina is next to it.   Word has it that Surfside was opening a marina, and Cottonwood Marina was back in service, but I have not been to either in 2013.   Anchor Inn used to have live bands and a place to dock, but I'm not certain they returned.  Let me know if ya need a hand with planning or something.   Michael.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »
    Having spent considerable time on the Mo river over the years I can tell you the river experience changed considerably from the 2011 flooding.   A number of marina's and fun destinations got wiped out.   The good news is that a number of places have been rebuilt and are back open even better than before.   Camping should be both available and plentiful.   When water levels are not too high, there is plenty of sand bars.   Personally I like to power up river then drift back, so in at Omaha or Blair, up to Decatur, then float back sounds like lots of fun.   Could even go downtown and park on the river, they have temp marina.   The Iowa side has lots of sand and a pedestrian bridge.   Storz is reopening the old "Ricks Boat Yard" location which could make for a destination also.  The day use marina is next to it.   Word has it that Surfside was opening a marina, and Cottonwood Marina was back in service, but I have not been to either in 2013.   Anchor Inn used to have live bands and a place to dock, but I'm not certain they returned.  Let me know if ya need a hand with planning or something.   Michael.

Mike and Tim,
I like the idea of the Omaha to Decatur run and then float back down, it would make a good run. Amber and I would be glad to have you get involved in the planning of the event, the more ideas the better I say, plus it helps to have a local that has run the river and knows the destinations along its route.

Amber and I are planing on burning some money in CB some time in January maybe we could get together And do a little planing?

Sent you a PM also.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 10:40:00 PM by 75starflight »
1975 v-179 starflite