Author Topic: CVX16SS - Another Shorty Project  (Read 4768 times)

Offline Shorty

CVX16SS - Another Shorty Project
« on: July 28, 2017, 10:08:30 AM »
K. Snagged this one for $500 with the trailer.

Motor was said to be good - bought from a dealer in Albertville. But he tried to spin it and she was stuck. He gave up.

I pulled the head, and it really wasn't too bad. Cleaned her up, soaked her for a couple days. Lots of Trans Fluid, Acetone, and Brake Fluid later, I popped some studs into the crank pully, grabbed a bar, and gave her a couple smacks, and she moved. Took half a rev to move fairly smooth, and after a couple full passes she's moving really well. Cleaned as I went. Scraping with razor blade, scrubbing with scotch pad, moving them down away from the spots so I wouldn't scrape the rings.

There's a lot you can see, but not a lot you can feel. I'll keep cleaning her up and see how good I can get em. I'll probably end up hitting em with a ball hone quick just for good measure.

Anyway - if I do get this thing together, running, installed in time, and there's no other issues that crop up, I might even make it to the meet for a day. If I do, I don't think I'll take it far. And not alone. hahaha...

This motor isn't even as bad as the last one I dealt with, as far as cylinder rust/corrosion. So I have hopes it'll at least run half decent so I can use it while I build another drivetrain.....

So I gotta decide if I wanna build the boat. The hull is actually in really good shape. Would need floor redone (it was done. poorly). Seats. Gel. then I'd have to decide if I stick with a 140 setup (and build a new one), or go to 4.3 or 5.7..... I really really like the idea of the 350.... but, I sorta wanna see what kind of power a 140 (3.0) or 470 (3.7) would make on a turbo.... hmmmmm (I don't know turbos)

https://youtu.be/IOxM4LcWNh4
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 10:14:41 AM by Shorty »

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: CVX16SS - Another Shorty Project
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 10:36:21 AM »
I had my 3.7L all done, gone through with lots of help from Rich.  I believed, and still do, that that was the ideal setup for our little boats.  The one problem, and I was warned, was that its too long to fit.  Bench would have to move forward probably 4-6 inches, and you'll have to cut the fiberglass piece that ties the cap together out.  (That's where I stopped.)

A 350 would probably fit since its shorter.  Like I said on FB...I'll be going with a 4.3LX, 220 HP is plenty for me.  But if you want something to talk about, a 350 would be great, and the 1st one right?  The other V8 conversions were all 302's I think?
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 10:59:14 AM »
Car seats?  Kinda kewl really, not certain how well they would take water though.  Has anyone ever covered a high back with vinyl before?  Good score on that project, I'd sway towards a 5.3 conversion to save weight, plentiful and reasonable power. 
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 11:05:16 AM »
Well I can tell you that you can bring a 140 to a good power ratio. I haven't had it dynoed yet but plan to do so eventually. i went from a V-179 weighing 1700lbs doing 38mph at WOT running a laser II 21p to 48mph WOT with the same prop running a 140 bored .030 over with a highly worked over head done for circle track racing and a stock Camshaft. the only down fall is this motor does not like any fuel below 91 octane. I can acutally turn a 25p laser II and get up on plane, but RPMs are just not where I would like them. I could go to a 23P and get past the 50mph mark but I am happy with the 21p. 
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Shorty

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 10:58:51 AM »
Honed last night. Actually really really surprised how she came out. Unreal.

Honestly, at this point, I think the biggest issue with this engine is actually the wear from use over it's life - the ridge at the combustion chamber.

She's tired. but we'll see. I'm actually really confident she's gonna run. Just a matter of wether she's gonna grenade herself and crap the bed right away, or if I get to use her a bit before she goes under the knife.

:)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 10:21:44 PM »
Glad you finally found a CVX16SS. I know you have been looking for a long time for the right boat. Hope you can make it to the meet. It's been way too long since I've seen you.

Metal flake looks good. Toyota Sienna seats.......not so much. But then again you never know when you are gonna need a couple juice box holders at the flip of a seat back!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Green with Envy

• Allan Pfromm
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 09:53:47 PM »
Looks like the exact boat I was considering last week.  Thinking of getting another Glastron to put my stroker into.

Different story, tho. Buyer beware, I guess:

https://images.craigslist.org/00V0V_60lk3ql024Z_600x450.jpg

I got this boat 3 years ago and started restoring it...
I was nearly done, when part of the compression testor fell off
in the plug port and bent the valves.
The motor has 3 hours on it with .030 new pistons, new crank,
and new head, new timing gears, new lifters , and carb rebuild.
I put a new green plywood floor in it, new aluminum gas tank ,
and the hull is in great shape.
It has a roller trailer with new radial tires and life time license,
but no title.

After 3 years , and $3100 invested, I'm sick to
death of working on it! I have ZERO effort left
to fix it...I want it gone, and will take a cold bath
to make it disappear.
I'm going back to outboard !!!
I rewired all the hydraulics, and have lots of
spare parts along with a spare motor, and extra
outdrive for rebuilding.
It has a new back seat frame but needs upholstery,
the front seats are from a car.

Take this boat away, I just want it gone to make room for
my new one.
1974 Glastron CV-16 SS
1975 Glastron GT150
1984 Searay Sundancer
1979 Glastron HPV-175

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 11:04:30 PM »
It'd be great to see you at a meet again Allan. 
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Shorty

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 09:03:56 AM »
It's not all it's cracked up to be. :)

Floor needs to be redone. Hydraulics wiring is a mess.

While I appreciate what's been done, it's a bit sloppy and most everything needs to be redone.

That said, she's almost ready to try to start again. Just waiting on a wiring harness adapter, and a head - or to fix this one.

Oh, and he did go to outboard. He snagged a running C500, and also just snagged a siezed CVX16.

I told him he needs to get to meets :)

Offline demian5

• Work hard and use your vacation days...
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 06:15:49 PM »
Hows this project coming along? I have recently purchased a boat just like it and it needs a floor. Any updated or in progress pictures?
1979 Glastron Carlson CVX 16 SS I/O Mercruiser 140 "Brick House"