Author Topic: 1969 115hp V4 Engine Problems  (Read 3970 times)

Offline Dyounge

1969 115hp V4 Engine Problems
« on: June 22, 2018, 09:47:29 PM »
Sorry for the book, but here's my story: I picked up a 1969 GT-160 last fall. Great boat. I test drove it once before the winter and it ran good. Had the slightest stumble upon acceleration just off idle, but I didn't think much of it. This Spring it fired right up and ran great the first day out. The small stumble was still there, but I was the only one that even noticed. The next day we brought some friends along and gave some very slow tube rides. The engine definitely did not like that low rpm, high load situation. Started running awful, couldn't give it any throttle without bogging. It eventually stalled and would not start. I figured the slow tube rides had fouled the plugs and upon checking them they were black and oily. I swapped them for fresh plugs and it fired up and we headed for the marina. The stumble off idle was much worse now, but once going still ran great.

The following day I took the boat to a local shop, Jeurissen Motor Sports in Belle Plaine, MN. He had the boat for two weeks, charged me $400 for 3-1/2 hours or labor and parts but didn't fix the problem. He said there was good compression (~135 across all cylinders) and good spark. He adjusted the carb and replaced 2 needle jet seals and the rotor. I took the boat out hoping the carb adjustment would at least get it running as good as it was the first day with the minor stumble, but no, it was the same. I had to baby the throttle to get it over about 2000rpm and then it would run fine. Eventually I just couldn't get it to catch no matter how gentle I was. We idled to the marina, it died about 20 feet from the dock and hasn't started back up since. It would sometimes fire for just a second but immediately die.

I checked the plugs and they look normal. I've checked the fuel and no separation. It's non-oxygenated 91 with amsoil 2 stroke marine oil and seafoam. I picked up a spark tester and I did not see a spark at all although the shop had said it has good spark. Any suggestions for next steps, things to try, etc would be greatly appreciated. Even a recommended shop to take it to. Thanks in advance.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: 1969 115hp V4 Engine Problems
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 10:30:42 PM »
Call Jeurissen Motor Sports and tell them to fix it right  !
Have all lines / hoses / primier bulb in the fuel system been replaced ?
GT's have built in fuel tanks, can you run it off a portable tank ?

Offline Dyounge

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 07:19:00 AM »
18gal Moeller tank and all fuel lines were replaced in 2015 before I got it. They all look to be in great condition. I will try to run it out of a gas can today. Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline Hot Rod Roy

• My Boat: USS Enterprise
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 02:17:33 PM »
My '73 Ev 115 V4 had similar problems until I removed and cleaned the carbs good.   When your shop replaced what I'm presuming was the float needle valve seats, did they rebuild the carbs, or just the float needle valve seats?   I'm presuming it was the float valve seats that they replaced, since you said there were two of them.   All of your jets (there's 8 of them!) need to be super clean.   Two stroke fuel will gum up your carbs, unless you run them dry before storing the engine. 

Does your '69 V4 have an electric choke switch at your remote throttle control?  I've found that the "stumble" during acceleration can be overcome by hitting the choke control switch quickly.  This acts to enrich the fuel mixture, just as the acceleration pump in an automobile carburetor would do.  Our Evinrude carbs don't have acceleration pumps.   This is sometimes a little problem when my engine is cold.

We sure would like to see a picture of your GT-160!

8)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 03:17:34 PM by Hot Rod Roy »
1950 Chris Craft/Mercury
1974 CV-16/Evinrude 115 hp
1960 CVN-65/280,000 hp

Offline Cali special

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 06:21:57 AM »
Take that motor off and get a newer one. Your lucky you can find anyone to work on it and the ethanol will destroy it.

Offline Hot Rod Roy

• My Boat: USS Enterprise
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 12:57:31 PM »
Take that motor off and get a newer one. Your lucky you can find anyone to work on it and the ethanol will destroy it.

What will the E10 damage?  I'd seriously like to know!  The new 4 strokes sure are heavy!   If you can't find someone to work on your classic engine, learn to do it yourself!   There's nothing "magic" about them.   And classic boats look the best with a classic engine!

8)
1950 Chris Craft/Mercury
1974 CV-16/Evinrude 115 hp
1960 CVN-65/280,000 hp

Offline V153

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 06:06:28 PM »
Imo the "threat" of Ethanol is overrated. Long as your carb kits and fuel lines are up to date? You shouldn't have a problem. I run "corn oil" all day long.
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline Retro Performance

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 07:21:24 PM »
I am running E 10 in my stuff (all old) and have had no issues, I do burn through a lot of fuel and do not let it sit for long periods.........

Offline Dyounge

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 12:59:25 PM »
My '73 Ev 115 V4 had similar problems until I removed and cleaned the carbs good.   When your shop replaced what I'm presuming was the float needle valve seats, did they rebuild the carbs, or just the float needle valve seats?   I'm presuming it was the float valve seats that they replaced, since you said there were two of them.   All of your jets (there's 8 of them!) need to be super clean.   Two stroke fuel will gum up your carbs, unless you run them dry before storing the engine. 

Does your '69 V4 have an electric choke switch at your remote throttle control?  I've found that the "stumble" during acceleration can be overcome by hitting the choke control switch quickly.  This acts to enrich the fuel mixture, just as the acceleration pump in an automobile carburetor would do.  Our Evinrude carbs don't have acceleration pumps.   This is sometimes a little problem when my engine is cold.

8)

Hot Rod Roy appreciate the response. I honestly don’t know what all was done with the carbs but based on my impression it was only the mst basic stuff. It does have an electric choke and I will keep that in mind. I took it back to the shop almost two weeks ago but he still hasn’t gotten around to even looking at it with the holidays. I called myself just taking it to a shop to speed up the process of me stumbling my way through figuring this out but it’s not working out as planned. H should get to it soon but any future repairs I’m going to need to tackle myself.

Offline Dyounge

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 01:15:08 PM »

8)

Here are a few pics. I absolutely love the boat. Hull is solid and I’m planning on a new paint job and flooring this winter. Just need it to run right reliably.

Offline Dyounge

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 01:18:38 PM »
If you can't find someone to work on your classic engine, learn to do it yourself!   There's nothing "magic" about them.   And classic boats look the best with a classic engine!

8)

I’m really starting to think you’re right. I am going to need to learn to troubleshoot these issues myself.