Author Topic: I've split the hull on my Glastron CVX16s HELP!!!  (Read 9953 times)

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
Re: I've split the hull on my Glastron CVX16s HELP!!!
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2018, 10:09:21 AM »
Hi Plugcheck,

Thanks for the response, really appreciate it. I still question if this is just Gel fracture, if you look at the picks after using the grinder there are still deeper cracks into the glass, and they do seem to have been filled previously, if you zoom into the pics you will see what I mean, and that to me is worrying, either way I will do as suggested and keep an eye on things, I'll probably remove the larger battery and put the original one back where it was as currently I have 2 heavy battery's within the area of the splits worst area..

I know the transom was enforced a few years ago when this motor was put on the boat and since I have had it I've all about replaced everything on the engine, except the lower end, pistons, rings, heads and associated parts, oh and I have rebuilt the carbs not replaced and the engine is sweet, still using the oil injection rather than premix. She goes like a rocket, up on a plane within 3 seconds of hitting the throttle. I've only ever managed to hit 62MPH on a clear day when the water is calm, don't forget mine is used only at Sea. This was on around 3/4 throttle at around 3200 rpm if I remember correctly and even then I needed to back off as I could see the horizon moving from side to side by approx. 1 meter each side of the bow and to be honest I nearly flooded the boat from inside!! You only need to hit a wave of take a gust of wind at that speed with that much power behind you and you up and over, and this was when I used to have one of the widow maker steering arms before they improved the strength....

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2018, 12:02:38 PM »
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=7551.0

If you look thru this build, you can see boat was redesigned and built for a larger motor.
If your is original … That's 30 year old wood and glass.
If rebuilt, you don't know how much was rebuilt … OR how well it was done …

Fix gel and keep an eye on hull ...

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2018, 12:22:09 PM »
Thanks again and the guy that sold it to me was the owner from new, he did say that he had some work done on it and it cost him lots, and he said he had it repainted as original, and that to me means all cracks and fractures filled and repaired. The hull has the serial number still visible and if I remember correctly it's a 1982 so 30+ years old, working in sea water of the UK waters is a tough time for any boat, especially a performance boat.

I wouldn't trust any other boat that a Glastron to keep me safe out there, I really wouldn't, they were and are the cream of US boat manufacturing in my view and well in front of their time. performance, performance, performance. 

Love my boat :)

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2018, 12:58:49 PM »
It must have had a 115 HP Merc on it when new ?
You can see the cut out for the old style T&T in splash well.
Weight would be about 60 to 70 lbs. more then 115 hp Merc , then add in weight of oil injection tank and extra battery.

Some times people say "New Floor" and it just a sheet of plywood laid over old rotted floor, Or transom fixed and it's just a plate over old rotted transom.

Take it easy and keep an eye on hull ..

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2018, 01:12:10 PM »
Cheers Gregg, you're a Glastron god!

Still love your boat more than mine, yours is just so clean and perfected, I'm jealous....  8)

Mike

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2018, 01:20:59 PM »
" Still love your boat more than mine, yours is just so clean and perfected, I'm jealous. "

Ha Ha … To bad it sinking …  :-[

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2018, 01:23:41 PM »
Not sinking, just tears of love and wanting more attention :) if that's at all possible!!!!! 8)

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2018, 01:32:20 PM »
It's something simple I'm sure, back to basics.. put her in the water and see if you can see where the leak is, then deal with... You don't have the worries I have for sure..

You can resolve it Gregg!!!!!!!!

Offline rayar3

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2018, 11:34:09 AM »
Not for nothing and late to the party, but the CVX-16 has a very thin hull in my opinion. Compound that with running it on the ocean, any weak spots will come to light. If the floor has been replaced, it’s also easy to accidentally grind the hull too thin in spots, especially near the strakes. (Ask me how I know...oops).

The 16 under the floor was very noticeably thinner than my 18 was under the floor, but those are the only Glastrons I have to compare. A Regal that I bought to flip in comparison had a hull that I could probably have dropped off a building without damage, lol. With ocean running, thicker will be good until the point that the strength leads to unforeseen weaknesses in other areas. It’s a balancing act.
Ray

1973 CV-16

Offline pyro225

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2018, 01:23:54 PM »
Rayar - I have e compared my regal to my glastron there is about 10x as much glass and resin very solid but probably why basically the same bout weighs so much more!

Uk Mike where in the uk are you? How solid is your floor etc? I’m guessing yours is an import as opposed to a uk built roger clark? The reason I ask is last year my stringers caused a lot of head scarring as I have two I like your one.. anyway we thought they had been changed but I found a guy who built them at roger clark on another forum and he confirmed they were built that way he may have said to enable a ski locker but I might be making that up. Anyway moral of the story is that the two stringers are either side of where the crack is so would not have cracked with them. As I am (slowly) doing a whole floor rebuild I think I am going to put the central one the us spec has so I will h e three for extra strength ... can’t hurt!

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2018, 04:40:43 PM »
Hi Pyro,

Sorry only just seen your response.

I'm in the south, just 45 miles south of London and yes it's a US built boat by the serial number and I have an idea it has had the floor rebuilt as looking at the repair work that's been doing it does look like the crack has been repaired previously. I think this year I will be stripping her out totally and having the whole boat redone with a new floor, an extra layer of glass and resin put down inside and any external cracks addressed before a re-spray and gel coat. I've just bought a new lower unit, lots of parts for the motor and even thinking about rebuilding the engine with over bore +25.

Do you have any photos of the floor that should be in the US built CVX16's as I want to make sure that if I do the rebuild I only need to do it once. I've never done a floor before but am pretty sensible when it comes to these things so and advise would be really appreciated. All the guys and gals on here have been great and have really helped know my boat inside out and I never want to say good bye to her so money is no object.

Best
Mike.