Author Topic: Official Status & Plea for Red Wing 2012  (Read 8395 times)

Offline WetRaider

Official Status & Plea for Red Wing 2012
« on: August 11, 2012, 08:15:06 PM »
Wet Raider made first splash & float test today.  Time is quickly running out and I will be at the campgrounds on Thursday night come hell or high water.

Drilled a new hole and re-mounted the ignition, sprayed some starting fluid in the carbs, turned the key - TA DA !  Started up right away.  Heavy exhaust ... just like last summer, left a big oily black mark in the grass for a few feet behind the prop.

Dragged out to Lake Rathbun, left it tethered to the winch strap, but got it floating ... jumped around in it, laid down on my belly and looked around every to spot for any leaks.  Found two.

Here is my plea list ... For those of you who don't know, I live kinda out in the middle of nowhere.  There isn't a marine shop within 200 miles that will touch the boat with this old motor.  I've done everything on this boat with my own two hands ... and sometimes you need another pair just to get something right.  So ...

1) I need a tune-up.  Link-n-sync (hopefully not sink, haha) or something.  Help setting idle, or timing ... I don't know what to do here, nor do I have any of the proper tools.

2) I could use a new water pump.  I'm happy to buy the parts and have them ready, but I'd like some help dropping that lower unit and setting it back - it's a speed thing ... by myself it'd take me 6 hours to do it with interruptions by the kids, the wife, the pets, cooking dinner, yada yada ... for somebody with experience & a helper, it might be a 20 minute project.

3) Prop swap.  Assuming that my WOT issues are not symptomatic of the tune-up/link-n-sync issue, I have a nice prop I'd like put on (Thanks, Don - RetroPerformance).  I can buy a prop nut & tab washer and have that ready, too.  I've been hesitant to make the swap down to a 15 pitch prop until I get the tuning resolved. 

4) Trim leak help.  I have not yet resolved my trim leak.  Female threads in the cylinder body are stripped on port side.  For now, I plan on bleeding the system a bit and using the set pin to hold that motor in place.  I won't have any trim control, but it's better than not going or spewing power steering fluid all over the river.  I've tried an o-ring between the collar and flare, pipe thread sealant (both tape and goop), and loctite.  Once under pressure it just blows the collar out.

5) Re-setting the motor mount bolts.  My only options out here for stainless bolts are 3" or 4".  The three inch leaves just the tiniest bit of thread poked through, not enough to get the nut on with a washer.  The 4" is better, but the threads don't go all the way - I've got 3" of unthreaded shaft.  I think my nut and washer are set tight to the unthreaded part, but not quite tight enough to cinch this motor down snug.  Those of you with access to a marine shop ... if there's a 4" full threaded bolt, 3/8" diameter in stainless, pick up a pair for me.  I have washers and nylok nuts.  This is another one of those two person projects ... I need somebody on the outside of the boat and somebody on the inside.

That should be it.  I will be there Thursday evening, any of you with the talent and/or experience (and tools) who can help with the rest - please comment so I know who to go looking for.  :-)  Friday morning sounds like a good time to me ...
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline WetRaider

Re: Official Status & Plea for Red Wing 2012
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 08:48:51 PM »
Here's a few seconds video ... anybody with knowledge, tell me whether I need simply an impeller or a whole kit complete with gaskets, etc.

first start 2012

(Dan - fixed the URL.  It didn't like the special characters in the URL, so I used the 'long link' instead)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 09:31:51 PM by dorelse »

Dan O'Connor

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 09:09:31 PM »
Impelier ...
At least the one's I have seen .... Have a plastic cup with a metal liner that the impelier rides in.
Unless you were runnin' in lotta sandy/muddy water it should be OK ... But plastic cup could be cracked and liner could be scored and you won't know until you take it apart.
Could just buy the kit and replace everything but think there expensive ... I'll look ...
Get Mercury parts !
NOT Seirra ...

Link n sync ...
I have never done it ... I bring it to a dealer that has been doing it for 40 plus years ....
I don't even know how to do it or what tools are needed ...
You would want to get your motor runnin' right before prop testing.
A 15P on your boat/motor should have you spinnin' 7000 rpm's ...

Trim cyl. ...
Have you though about tapping it out to the next size and puttin a reducer ( nipple ?) to get it to fit ?
Don't know ... just kind of guessing on this one ...

Motor mount bolts ...
Mine stick out almost three inches from transom mount ...
If you reset your motor you would need bedding/sealant and it would need some time to dry/set up/ cure so might not be a good idea to use it for 12 to 24 hours after mounting.
You want to squirt sealant into/around holes and bolts, tighten up sung, then let set up as per mfg. instructions.
After cured (12 to 24 hours) you tighten it to (real) tight, that way it has a great seal.

EDIT ....

Water pump kits
http://www.maxrules.com/fixmercwaterpump.html

$40 is cheap ... Think I payed close to that for just the Mercury impelier.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 09:44:14 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline DanR

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 05:13:39 PM »
I have had bad luck in the past going with aftermarket impellers. At this point I will only by factory brand impellers. I'm not saying the quality hasn't improved since I've had my problems(15 years ago), but I have never had a problem with factory parts.
1974 CV16
2001 GX205
1978 Venture bass boat

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 10:50:38 PM »
I fully intend to go Mercury parts.  I spent too much replacing sierra brand stuff that was only a year old from the PO.  When I brought the boat home last summer, I had the impeller changed.  Remember paying somewhere around 18-20 for the impeller only.

Link-n-sync process is online.  Doesn't appear difficult, but is definitely a two person job.  I blame my hearing here, but I can't hear small changes in the motor while making minor adjustments at idle set screws, stop screws, etc.  My hearing aid picks up the exhaust noise and amplifies it so much I can't hear little things up close. 
I agree with you on the prop - Not sure if I've got a 17 or 19 on it now, but at WOT last year I could barely get to about 4800 RPM.  This was after swapping the lower unit.  If I can get help with a general tune-up from somebody who knows their inline sixes, then I'll know whether or not I need to prop down.  If I do, I'll have one ready to go.

I wouldn't mind setting those mounting bolts on Thursday evening when we get there ... should be ready to splash on Friday.

As far as the trim- yes, I thought about it.  But right now, with my list of things to get done before leaving, I can't imagine getting sidetracked by pulling that cylinder out and trying to get it done.  I'm better off leaving it for now.  If there's someone up there who can help out and willing to do so, I'm all for it.  If not, I'll just pin it in place and leave it down - we can porpoise all day long.

Dan O'Connor

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 11:24:46 AM »
Ordered Mercury waterpump (impeller only, for what's left of this season, I'll start next spring with a full kit) ... stainless mounting bolts with full thread are on back order.  No luck there.  Called Hannay's - they've got two sets of 4" stainless mounting bolts with full thread.  I'm happy to pay over the phone if anyone local is willing to pick up for me.  Like mentioned in my previous post, I'd like to get them set on Thursday evening when we get there so I can get her wet Friday ...

Dan O'Connor

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 12:06:57 PM »
I could go get them but not sure if i will be down untill fri morn.
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 03:36:26 PM »
Thanks so far to all who have commented, suggested, and picked up parts.  Doran has my mercury impeller, Shawn should be picking up my mounting bolt kit from Hannay's (Thanks, too, to Don for the discount!) and handing off to Tim for a Thursday delivery. 

Trim cylinder ... David will be bringing his pair for me.  They need o-rings, but I'm wondering about making a quick swap of the one leaking cylinder ... might allow me to use trim for the weekend & do the o-rings later.  Unless there's someone else who can do trim cylinder o-rings on a picnic table and I'll get the o-rings ...

Still looking for some help with the tune up.  If there's anybody with a tool that can read RPM more accurately than the tach, I'd like to compare mine for accuracy. 

Dan O'Connor

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 06:15:25 PM »
Dan
So that is your RPM's with out the trim working ?

Theres a large boat dealer in Red Wing  (   http://www.billsbay.com/   ) in town and a marina/gas dock on the river.
There a Mercury dealer ...

Offline Retro Performance

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 06:47:42 PM »
Raider, I saw one of the parts guys with a 1/2 inch mount kit today.....do you need 1/2 inch (bolt on motor) or do you need 3/8 inch (clamp on motor)........let me know, I am pretty sure I have 3/8 bolts on hand, I can bring them to Hannays for whoever to pick up. If you asked for 3/8 I am sure thats what they pulled for you but we do not sell 3/8 in a kit( I don't think)

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 06:48:08 PM »
No, Gregg, I had trim working last year.  Had a tiny leak at that cylinder that stopped when I pinched an o-ring between the threaded collar and flare.  I think the guy that hung this motor for me before Rathbun did a good job trying to get too tight and stripped it out more.  4800 was my top RPM at WOT trimmed out.  That's why I bought that 15 inch prop, wanted to see if I could get the RPM up into the 5300 - 5500 range.  

Don, I did pay for the 1/2inch bolt kit from Hannay's.  The guy that hung my motor on the new transom only drilled a 3/8" hole.  I'm happy to open those holes up for a 1/2" post. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 06:49:56 PM by WetRaider »

Dan O'Connor

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 07:05:01 PM »
I was thinking maybe your motor was older(like mine) and was a clamp on using 3/8 bolts in the bottom of motor bracket and through the trim rams...........originally they used carriage bolts for these installations and I do not think there is enough material to drill these old motors to 1/2 inch.

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 07:12:26 PM »
Don, you might be right.  It's a '76.  Any chance you can bring a set of 3/8's?  A 3" bolt will BARELY poke it's thread out on the inside.  A 4" is what I'd need.  But it would have to be threaded more than just the last inch.  Locally, all those are on backorder and I can't get a set.  I'm assuming Hannay's would let me return a set of bolts that hasn't been used ...
Tim called today and said that one of the shops at Red Wing had a box full of used bolts ... if all else fails, maybe they'll have what I need.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 07:16:03 PM by WetRaider »

Dan O'Connor

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 07:55:30 PM »
Raider, I was planning to make a day at Red Wing but have a conflict and will not be able to attend (still a possibility for Friday)...........I can drop bolts off at someones house or they can be picked up at Hannays if someone is going to be coming by. I will not be in the store after Wednesday but if I know someone is coming I will make arrangments for pick up. I am thinking David CVX16 might be able to bring them down....he is bringing the tilt gear that Jerry needs as well. I have a total of 12 bolts I can send and you can use what you need, I found a mount kit still in the package thats neat. The carriage bolts should be original to the motor........maybe send what you do not use back with David (if he does not mind).  Let me know.

Retro

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 07:57:01 PM »
Oh....yes we will take the 1/2 inch bolts back.........Your motor should use a total of 6     3/8 bolts right?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 08:27:33 PM by Retro Performance »

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 09:06:12 PM »
Don - Yes, believe there are six mounting holes. Two up high, two beneath the trim cylinders, and two at the bottom brackets.
When I picked up the boat last summer, only the c-clamps and bottom two bolts and two lag screws beneath the trim cylinders were in place..

Cracked up the fiberglass in the splashwell driving it home from Chicago area and had a shop north of Des Moines pull the motor for me while I had an aluminum cap and transom plate made.  When they re-installed, the shop only mounted the two bottom bolts and the c-clamps and said that was sufficient.  The dude that hung my motor before our spring Rathbun event used C-clamps only and said it would hold.  Yeah, right. 

My re-built transom itself is 1-7/8" without the factory glass or my layup on the inside.  With the thickness of the mounting brackets, it's a full 3 inches from outside bracket to inside transom.  The 4" bolt is necessary.  I had considered a pair of 3/8 or 1/2 x 2-1/2 lag bolts for the holes just under the trim cylinders ... Not sure where those holes would hit on the underside - maybe too close to the splash well? 

Dan O'Connor

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 10:18:30 AM »
I got your bolts this morn. I will be giving them to Brian (administrator) this afternoon and he will bring them down on Thurs.
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft