Author Topic: Boat Show  (Read 8096 times)

Offline GlastronCollector

• 69' Glastron Carlson Corinthian w/ Twin towers
Boat Show
« on: January 08, 2013, 11:55:44 PM »
Anyone heard if the club is putting on a display at this years boat show, If so I could bring the corinthian with 300 hp V-8 outboard, the scimitar is in storage or I'd offer it up.  I guess I could bring a 68 GT160 as an option. Let me know if anyone heard if we were invited back.

Jerry Sellner
81 Scimitar, 69 Corinthian, CT-15, Contender,
2-66' Challengers, 71' GT160, 62' 14' Jetflite, 82' CV27, 67' Switzer shooting star, Switzer 20' SC, Switzer Playbouy, Hydrostreams -Vegas Ski, Panther tunnel, Velaro, Ventura Comp., Bradley Surfer GT, GW Invader, 13&15' Lasers, Hustler Tunnel, 2-MX-15'

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: Boat Show
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 01:26:55 AM »
I haven't heard anything and I know that Gregg (Hyperacme) monitors the club email account and he hasn't heard anything either.  I'll get in touch with Brian and see if he's heard anything.  

There are a few empty floor sections yet, so maybe they'll try to fill that space by offering up space?  I know we have the contact info someplace for the boat show group from last year.

I'll check with Brian.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 01:37:27 AM by dorelse »
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 09:34:25 AM »
I have not heard anything either.

It might we worth checking with them to see if they can stuff us in somewhere.

Do we even have any willing boats this year? I could probably drag my CV16SS down there if I can get my outdrive back in time.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 11:12:37 AM »
I haven't heard anything either ...

Offline GlastronCollector

• 69' Glastron Carlson Corinthian w/ Twin towers
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 01:35:28 PM »
I think its a great opportunity to promote the club, the boats and the events and meet ups we do as well as the networking for those interested in collectible boats. Some one mentioned something last year about the Glastron dealer that was close to our booth. Something to the effect that if the convention center didnt have us back that he might just because of the draw it would bring to his booth. Any one else hear anything along those lines.
Any interest in displaying boats at the world of Wheels. I displayed boats at the boat show for the last several years with Twin City Power Boat Association. These are great venues since they usually invite us thus we dont pay for very expensive space since their using us to draw people to the show.
Jerry Sellner
81 Scimitar, 69 Corinthian, CT-15, Contender,
2-66' Challengers, 71' GT160, 62' 14' Jetflite, 82' CV27, 67' Switzer shooting star, Switzer 20' SC, Switzer Playbouy, Hydrostreams -Vegas Ski, Panther tunnel, Velaro, Ventura Comp., Bradley Surfer GT, GW Invader, 13&15' Lasers, Hustler Tunnel, 2-MX-15'

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 04:44:06 PM »
There was quite a bit of talk about having either a shared or adjacent booth with Glastron ... after about early March last year it all faded away.
I would love to see the group grow into the type that can get floor space and a full schedule of volunteers to strip down an old boat and get it back together in the 4 day show.  The networking would be awesome to have vendors supply the materials needed, and have a raffle to give the boat away at the end of the show - proceeds from the raffle could go to the club.  Lots of possibilities.  This group has the talent, for sure, now we'd just need to locate those freebies ...
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 10:54:46 AM »
I had heard the same story about being next to the new Glastrons this year. But I suspect if we haven't heard anything at this point it's not gonna happen. Too bad as the number of people walking in and around the CGOAMN display at any time during the boat show last year is a testament to how successful it was and how popular these boats still are.
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline bellj

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 02:02:57 PM »
At the risk of sounding like I'm talking out my, er, "behind" - I'm going to offer a little different spin on this from another angle. Keep in mind that there is no offense intended whatsoever - I'm right there with you in the same "boat" (pun intended) - but I also have some experience in corporate events. I didn't attend this event last year - in fact I didn't even know about it until after the fact - but what I read and watched from last year's and the talent and effort that was put forth by so many club members energized me so much that after joining this wonderful group I actually thought about the possibility of creating some touchscreen kiosks and digital signage to be offered if anyone wanted or thought a good idea if we were there again this year...I have those kinds of items anyway, plus my wife is still an event coordinator, so those kinds of things come natural to us. Of course in our case - time and distance from the event comes into play, so it was just something that I kept in the back of my mind as a possibility.

I followed this a little from the outside looking in and I noticed people asking periodically (and I did too recently) - but I also noticed last year on the boat event's website that at first the club was still on the list - but that might have been last year's listing since it was still early fall and they had only started updating with this year's (2013) planning - and eventually there was a new updated list where we weren't on it. Where we asked - don't know - but I'm suspecting we might not have been.

If it is that we weren't asked, I suspect if you are like me, you are wondering why not? (and probably feel a little offended - that's natural) But I've been around enough event "behind the scenes" that I have to put something else into play - corporate events are usually about making money, some up front (hosts & organizers) and most after (exhibitor's new sales), and basically it's an expensive and labor intensive advertisement which luckily usually results in enough extra or additional sales that might not have been otherwise to make the extra effort worth it. (if you're never been in corporate retail, I suspect you'd probably be shocked how much it costs to rent an exhibit spot for some of these popular events, plus the manpower time & cost, and transporting items (especially large things like boats and RV's), etc.) The exhibitors are not spending large amounts without the intent of making much more back over time, and part of providing a successful event is an expensive responsibility of the hosts and coordinators. I have no idea how having our club at the event last year came up - whether it was to fill some unused space and/or whether it was an experiment...and from our standpoint it was a success...but my point is - was it to the people in charge of making the following year's event decisions?

The people of this club - just like me - are passionate about our boats & this Glastron brand and there is a wealth of talent - along with a wealth of generosity to share that talent and manpower for an event. No doubt there are many, if not most of us, that would go to an event like this almost regardless of the distance to travel if we knew similar boats were going to be there. But that's our passion. I see similar people every year that I attend an event regarding another passion - the Oshkosh fly-in.

But here's the flipside - and don't shoot the messenger - I'd obviously love it if we were there too - plus I don't know if these points I'm trying to make are really what happened or not - just food for thought and consideration.

From the angle of the event coordinators & organizers (both hosts and exhibitors) - did having the club there bring in enough extra people (more than what would have paid a ticket to get in anyway) to overcome what they would have earned from "renting" that same space out to other vendors? That doesn't mean that they didn't get a certain amount of additional attendance because our club was there - I'm talking about ENOUGH additional attendance dollars ABOVE NORMAL to overcome the loss of renting that same space out to paying vendors (that's assuming that the reason we were asked last year wasn't because for some reason the organizers weren't able to rent that space out last year and decided to try a "fill" experiment). And that's hard to calculate after a show regardless of figures (unless they received feedback) since people attend for various reasons, sometimes even weather related, - so that might have been simply a group decision on their part of what they thought happened (best guess).

From the angle of the Glastron reps and/or company: I have no doubt they enjoyed having our club there and it certainly showed how a brand can endure...and hopefully there were potential buyers that thought of buying a new Glastron to become part of that growing family (provided they didn't after seeing us at the event consider instead of a buying a new model getting an older one to be part of our club family (great for us, but not necessarily Glastron & it's reps)). So in the end - did they get enough new boat sales that they would have wanted the event organizers to have us back this year? It would be interesting to also know whether they received any feedback - positive or negative, from attendees.

Again, I have no proof that either possibility is what actually happened - just food for thought from another angle separate from our obvious club passions - and please, please, please don't be offended by my thought possibilities, I would love to be there right along with you if time and distance worked out - and there were many great points about possibilities for great events that this club's people would be capable of and would be great to see...but unfortunately that might not be quite enough for what that specific event's organizers need(ed) to see.

Then again...maybe enough people who attend this year might ask at the show or on their website(s) where we were because they came especially thinking we'd be there again - if they express that enough, the organizers might reconsider for 2014...there are always possibilities!   :)
Jim, Patti, & Samantha
'69 Pipestone Princess O/B, '57 Evinrude Lark 35
'77 Glastron GT-150 O/B, '78 Merc 700, "The Puddle Jumper"
'77 Switzer GL-20 O/B, '77 Merc 1750
'86 Glastron CVX-20 O/B, '86 Merc 200, "The WHIZZard of Odds"

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 02:10:49 PM »
That's a long post!

I don't think its any more complicated than this:

We were told last year that the event organizers try to bring in different boat clubs every year...last year it was us, the year before it was an antique wood boat club.

Its not our turn, pretty simple.  I expect they've either sold out of space, so no freebies/empties to fill, or invited a different boating group this year.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline bellj

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 02:45:46 PM »
Sorry for the long post - I tend to do that.

That's additional information that I didn't know (see what I mean about talking out my...), Dorelse, so that does sound like the most likely possibility of what happened.   ;)

But as I said, there are always possibilities. You never know what other future "possibilities" besides that specific boat club spot might come up.   :)
Jim, Patti, & Samantha

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 02:49:02 PM »
I tend to believe that the boats we brought last year were so kick-arse cool that it killed sales of the new boats and we were banned from ever displaying again.

;D
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline bellj

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 03:16:54 PM »
I tend to believe that the boats we brought last year were so kick-arse cool that it killed sales of the new boats and we were banned from ever displaying again.

Grin

I LIKE THAT!!!

What a selling point! That should be on the clubs main web page!!   LOL   :)
Jim, Patti, & Samantha

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 03:29:28 PM »
People at the boat show had to be impressed by the CGOAMN display ...
After looking at all the new cookie cutter boat on display, how could you not think they were AWESOME !
CLASS never go's out of style !

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 05:00:37 PM »
Doran & Gregg are right on.  It was amazing to see 30 year old gel coat and metal flake sparkle every bit as bright and deep as the new models.  Too bad it seems to be mainly on bass boats, now.

If I recall correctly, Julie Johnson is the name of the woman who is the head person for Glastron's marketing department.  She travels often, and attends most boat shows (I've been told).  I've tried to call her at her office, and a few times on a cell phone number I had managed to talk someone into giving me.  Given that last year, and continuing into 2013, Glastron has re-introduced the GT's ... the general consensus last year was that our boats on display made a great sales point for the new Glastron models (i.e., Look how well our boats hold up when you take care of them, one; and two, You can join a group like theirs and have a lifetime of knowledge and tips and tricks available).

There was an antique and wooden boat club at the event last year as well.  They may certainly rotate through, but on the flip side, if someone knew the right person to call within the Minneapolis Show production crew, we could selfishly ask.  Worst thing is they could say no. 
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 05:46:30 PM »
Yep, that was fun. I am sure they will have us back again. We just have to keep bugging them!

Jason S.

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 08:34:21 PM »
FYI...Brian has not heard anything from the show organizers. 

We can see if we can make contact with the organizers at the show this year and see what next year brings.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 09:29:49 PM »
Last spring I suggested a boat show outdoors in the summer at the Mermaid in Mounds View. But everyone seemed so busy last summer that even the weekend boating trips were not well attended. Summer weekends are a valuable commodity.

A summer boat show makes alot of sense - boats are out of storage, weather is nice, no preparation for showing. We might consider putting on a one half day event. The Mermaid seemed receptive to a Glastron boat event.
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline 76bayflite

• Sean P. 1976 V173 1974 CV16
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 01:34:31 AM »
Sorry for the delay, the impression I got was last year our display was in an unsold space.  My guess is that this year they sold out all their floor space early and that's why they did not contact us.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 09:33:17 AM »
Sorry for the delay, the impression I got was last year our display was in an unsold space.  My guess is that this year they sold out all their floor space early and that's why they did not contact us.

Originally we were suppose to be out in the hall or entry way into the show but than the space we ended up in opened up and they moved us in there.
Jason S.