Author Topic: 2015 CGOAMN Meet - Thoughts & Opinions!  (Read 7126 times)

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
2015 CGOAMN Meet - Thoughts & Opinions!
« on: December 05, 2014, 12:07:04 AM »
Registration will open sometime in early Spring.  We're going to do it the manual way, cash/checks...I already have made arrangements for the 3 RV spots (that used to be grass) so we'll have more elbow room.

Elbow room was a bit tight...and we're going to work on that.  (The new RV sites were a surprise to all of us...)

We'll be assigning slips for this meet as well, as I expect the docks will be leased more fully this next year.  Bob and Margi were planning on a fire sale for the 2015 season.

What else?

We will not be having a potluck, though, I'm gathering prices for a catered meal and would love to hear feedback on any other topics...you can PM or email me (email address is in my profile) if you're more comfortable.

So...meal?  How important is that?  What if we rent a trailerable large grill and have a group grill out on a very large common grill? 

What did you like,..not like?  What issues did you have?  Feedback (bad or good) is always good feedback...

Obviously the tenting area was packed...do we move the tents along the road as a 'quiet area' where there's no 'common area' only tenting, leaving the central grassy area as our common's area for fires, coffee, grilling, etc, etc?   Dunno, it was a suggestion that was made to me.

Let her rip!
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: 2015 CGOAMN Meet - Thoughts & Opinions!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 12:12:22 AM »
Also, I've been talking to the Red Wing Chamber of Commerce...did you know they've never heard of us?  They were thrilled to learn about the group, and have put me in touch with the Red Wing Convention & Visitors Bureau.

We'll be on their calendar of events for 2015 and beyond now...they've been pretty helpful in ideas for the meal.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 10:18:34 AM »
Any body ?

Online thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 11:03:12 AM »
sure it was kinda cramped last year but i like the center area, i think it helps "hold the group together"
and its about the group hanging out  :)
the posting at the welcome tent is great, it was a bummer that a few new people did not kno where we were.

the meal
i like the idea of a group meal, and a big group pot-luck is a great way to celebrate. but i get that it can cause problems.
$20 for a catered meal would not stop me from coming, nor would i complain about it... but that's just me. coordinating that, and having it be a mandatory part of the event is prob not for most.

I have only been to 2 events, and it seemed like group meal helped hold the non campers around longer.

event insurance was mentioned last year, that would add to the cost, would that open up the possibility of a pot luck ? (we like to make, bring, and eat food)

my big complaint about the event is their just aint nuf time to hang out with everybody that shows up.
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 11:36:43 AM »
I do not have a preference for the meal one way or another. If we can cater something for a reasonable cost Great. If not what we did last year I thought was fine. Most everyone shared grills and food anyway.

I like the assigned slips I think I was in 2 or 3 different ones. Every time we came back boats were in different slips.

I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 12:08:58 PM »
sure it was kinda cramped last year but i like the center area, i think it helps "hold the group together"
and its about the group hanging out  :)
the posting at the welcome tent is great, it was a bummer that a few new people did not kno where we were.

the meal
i like the idea of a group meal, and a big group pot-luck is a great way to celebrate. but i get that it can cause problems.
$20 for a catered meal would not stop me from coming, nor would i complain about it... but that's just me. coordinating that, and having it be a mandatory part of the event is prob not for most.

I have only been to 2 events, and it seemed like group meal helped hold the non campers around longer.

event insurance was mentioned last year, that would add to the cost, would that open up the possibility of a pot luck ? (we like to make, bring, and eat food)

my big complaint about the event is their just aint nuf time to hang out with everybody that shows up.

I have an 'Announcement Board' in the works, its divided by Day, with a Map for each day's destination & activities as well as a large map that shows, fuel docks, points, no wake zones, etc...that should help with anyone who arrives after we've left.

The Meal.

Can't\Won't do a potluck.  Dangerous...we're one unrefrigerated mayo based salad away from a possible food poisoning lawsuit that puts Gregg and I (and our families) at risk of losing everything.  So, no, that's off the table.  Unfortunately,  churches get sued successfully over the same thing and their insurance companies pay millions.  Its just the reality of the world we live in today.

My personal preference is to get a reasonably catered meal, include it in the Saturday cost and hand out meal tickets for the group dinner.  Its safe, its professionally prepared food, and we do not have any risk associated with it.

Event Ins is a possibility, but adds additional costs.  Brian (and I/Gregg) continue to try to make this an extremely affordable weekend for everyone, so I do not want to force yearly price increases...but yeah, if I can keep it under $20 per adult, with a kids discounted rate, I'll post that up.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 12:10:58 PM »
I do not have a preference for the meal one way or another. If we can cater something for a reasonable cost Great. If not what we did last year I thought was fine. Most everyone shared grills and food anyway.

I like the assigned slips I think I was in 2 or 3 different ones. Every time we came back boats were in different slips.

I ended up in a couple slips too, and someone using my dock lines to tie off their boat!  (SO...yeah, assigned slips...hopefully they'll be a bit cleaner this year.
1990 Sierra 1700

Online thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 01:43:18 PM »
Qoute:
"Can't\Won't do a potluck.  Dangerous...we're one unrefrigerated mayo based salad away from a possible food poisoning lawsuit that puts Gregg and I (and our families) at risk of losing everything.  So, no, that's off the table.  Unfortunately,  churches get sued successfully over the same thing and their insurance companies pay millions.  Its just the reality of the world we live in today."

sorry...
i started typing with intent on acknowledging that fact, but quickly fell into lament of this "new reality"
i will try to stay focused... who am i kiding
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 12:40:47 PM »
No, No, my response was not meant to be 'forceful' in any way...no apologies needed..its a frustrating reality.

Unfocused is fine Joe!  LOL

We used to do a movie night, but that's fallen away a bit.

I have been toying with the idea of bringing in a large central grill that everyone can use for the weekend for evening meals...the trailerable kind we can pull into camp, load up with charcoal and all grill at...It would bring everyone together and would be pretty cost effective.

Obviously the other option is full catering...
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Tmstibbe

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 11:46:16 PM »
Food- you can find a chicken-Que caterer in the Red Wing area.   They either will cook it on site for you or they cook it off site at their catering business and bring it out.  In the La Crosse area, a half chicken dinner, catering cost is about $6-$7 a plate (including desert).  Ask the convention/visitors bureau for a list of catering companies that do this.  I hire one every summer for a car show, we hire a caterer to cook 600, 1/4 chicken lunches, at $5 a plate.  A smaller amount such as you will need, will drive the price up a bit, but if you can piggy-back your event with another event in town, the caterer can deliver, set up a serving table for you, etc.   Eliminates all the work, and caterers do it everyday, so it is easy, nothing much to worry about. In my area, the caterers prefer you handle your own beverages.  So, you set up a byo beverage.  Or, if you want to have soda, that is easy to set up.  We charged $1 per 12 oz can of soda, made a bit of profit off of it, but someone has to do the selling and count the money.   Do not serve beer or alcohol, liability issues.  Folks can bring their own alcohol beverages.   ts

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 01:07:54 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts!

I am already in contact with a caterer, so we'll get some pricing over the winter and go from there.  We never supply and adult beverages.  :D
1990 Sierra 1700