Author Topic: Your Deckhand.... Our Club Foundations  (Read 5176 times)

Offline ChfBrianB

• Brian Bergstrom
    • CGOAMN Homepage
Your Deckhand.... Our Club Foundations
« on: May 16, 2017, 10:28:31 AM »
Club Members / friends,
Many of you know me very well.  Others of you may not even know my name.

It was many years ago that I bought my first Glastron.  It happened to be a V-173 that my ex-wife and I called "The Gravy Boat".  I contacted my cousin Scott Glasspoole and he said I had something special in my old Glastron.  He said there were a few people in the area that seemed to like the boats and that I should contact the CGOA site to try to get connected. I contacted the national site and consulted with the national chapter president.  I talked with Jesse Gully who at the time had a small MN chapter.  I believe that there were 8-10 members that had gathered a few times, but the foundation was there.

Jesse had recently had children and he was focused on their childhood and upbringing, so his beautiful CVX-20 Jet had to take a back seat to his family.  I was very willing to step up to see if we could grow the club and it's membership participation.

In the years to follow our numbers grew!  I can't name you all, but I assure you that each of you played a vital role in our growth. Jim, David, Jason, Gregg, Jeff, Doran, Scott, Shelly, Rich, Jerry, Red, Barb, Shawn, Sean, Andy, Ken, Bob, Margi, and SO many others....

As we look back on our growth, I remember the first meet I arranged.  We met at Hok-Si-La campground on Lake pepin and had somewhere around 15 boats on that warm Saturday run.  Looking at the calendars and pictures from the past years meets, it baffles me that we have grown to the levels that we have. As I look back at our original 8 members, I am humbled that so many people and families have looked to this group as a source of inspiration and excitement for what a social organization could be. I can't count the times that our members declared "Brian says... No club member will be left behind!" I've seen our club members leave the dock after dark with a spotlight and tow rope in hopes of finding the stranded club member.  Jeff did exactly that...  He put his own boat and life on the line heading south on the Mississippi after a V212 that had lost it's water pump at 10pm in the middle of the the barge shipping channel.  We all wished him well as he departed...  He returned at 1am with fellow club members in tow. their motor and battery were dead.  They were adrift in the shipping lane with dying power and no propulsion. 

Why do we do what we do???  We do it because we understand each other...  we know the struggles that we face, and we know that the solution is not in unhealthy things. The solution is in social support and in standing together.  Rich.... you know that you helped me get my very first motor running.  Had you not told me about how to jump the solenoid, I never would have had the Gravy Boat on the water.

With all of this being said...  I would like to humbly ask for all of your support.

With the approval of the current leadership, I have asked to step back into the leadership role that I once had within this club. I request to be your ambassador, your voice, your advocate, your Deckhand.

Doran and Gregg will remain as the backbone of out site and it's functionality.  I am simply here to serve you and to help grow this club.

Please feel free to respond and provide input!

Brian Bergstrom
651-260-5266
bbergstrom260@gmail.com

Brian
1975 V-173 (The Gravy Boat)
1976 CV-16SS (Greener Grass)
1977 CVX-20 Deluxe (Silver Fox)
1976 V-195
1986 CV-23
1977 T-166XL Sportster (Plan B)
1977 CVX-16

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: Your Deckhand.... Our Club Foundations
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 10:44:24 AM »
First things first...have you named the new boat? LOL!!!

I'm very happy to have Brian back in action.  When I offered to help, it was always with the understanding that I was only a temporary caretaker.  It can be difficult to really promote and care for the club when your 250 miles away. 

Brian and I will be working together, with all of you, to really make the 10th Anniversary meet special.  We've come a long way since the first one, and with some good weather this year, we could have a record turnout.

Please let Brian or I know if you have any questions, but really...there's not a huge shift here.  Gregg and I will still be here, Brian's going to do what Brian does best...evangelize and promote the club. 

Welcome back!
1990 Sierra 1700

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 11:08:00 AM »
GREAT to have ya back Brian !
We've tried our best to keep it true to your vision of a family friendly place ...

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 11:14:15 AM »
Can't wait to see you on the water Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 12:26:47 PM »
Welcome back Brian! Look forward to seeing you in August!
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 12:36:20 PM »
YAY! I'll be the first to say it hasn't been the same since Brian wasn't as active. Great to have you back Brian! Looking forward to seeing you on the water again as well.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 01:27:23 PM »
We have missed you Brian. The group you started has benefited many, including myself, in so many ways. We really need a person like you to get involved like you once were.
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline Glastronjohn18

• project in progress
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 08:52:37 PM »
Good to have you back Brian.
John
'80 CVX 18 - Survivor Class
'78 CVX 18
'76 V 225 -   Bal Harbor
'80 V195XL
'86 CVX 18- And '86 Makes 3

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 07:01:43 AM »

Welcome, and Welcome Back!

It is great to see you cycle back and run an organization you help found. This is a good group of folks here that love their old boats.  And who wouldn't, these machines are classics that I believe will grow in popularity the older they get. 

And that blue CVX16 you just picked up will is a head turner and a hoot to take out for a spin.

David
1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120

Offline Scott_E

• Donate members
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 10:32:16 AM »
Welcome back Brian - good to hear you picked up another G\C.  Looking forward to seeing you out on the water again!  Just putting some love into my cvx20 as we speak.
Scott
1977 Glastron Carlson CVX20 Deluxe Jet (Now Sold)
2001 Cobalt 190

Offline Gotesh

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 06:04:37 PM »
I don't log in for a week and a half and this is what happens.

Welcome back, Brian.  We missed you.

Offline MikeB

• 1980 CVX-18 | 1989 CSS19
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 11:16:51 PM »
Welcome back Brian, you were very much missed!