Author Topic: Should I paint  (Read 3333 times)

Offline jaynicho

Should I paint
« on: December 28, 2020, 06:43:43 PM »
Hi everyone, I’m new new and know nothing about forums. I joined to sell my boat, but before I post I wanted to know if I should paint a 69 contender or not. I joined this site because I want to sell to someone who will appreciate this boat and bring it back to its glory. I am finishing another boat restoration and before I start I wanted know if it was better to paint my carlson contender or if someone would prefer to restore the metallic gelcoat? I’m not looking to make a bunch of money just want to sell and am wondering if painting will move it quicker. Hate to see this cool old boat go to someone that will push it out into the weeds. Oh and by the way someone else painted it years ago and it is peeling off. Thanks

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: Should I paint
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 06:52:10 PM »
Welcome to the forum jaynicho !
Can you post a picture of boat / gel ?
Any other info on boat / motor / trailer ?
And your location ?

If your not sure how to post pictures .. Let me know and I'll help.

Offline jaynicho

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 07:07:48 PM »
Hey Gregg thanks for talking to me. I’ll take some pictures tomorrow it’s getting dark here now I’m in California. It’s the model with the tunnel, 16 foot says contender on grab handle. Was the silver metallic color originally then some previous owner painted copper/ root beer brown. Paint is peeling and metallic comes off on your hand. Boat needs new seats and fresh finish. No cracks, dents or gouges. Very good shape. Inside has original zolatone paint in great shape. Has 69 evinrude 115 runs like a top. Looks like it never had a wrench on it.

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 07:47:14 PM »
I would not paint your contender to sell it, really a terrible ROI.   Most folks that understand the contenders value will likely prefer unrestored so they could do their own scheme.  Since it's been repainted, the unmolested option is gone anyway.   If someone really wants it, but needs it turn key, then you might consider painting and such as a possible option.   We purchased a contender this summer with 85 Merc for $500, needs full resto including trailer resto, so not certain the value of yours, possibly much higher in your region and a greater pool of buyers .  Good luck with your sale.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 12:27:47 AM »
1969 Carlson Contender would be there 14 foot model. The Challenger would be the 16 foot model.
Is there still a serial number tag ?
It would be around driver seat on left side. (Red circle in lower left of picture.)
It could also have a small " G " emblem above grab handle on right side of dash if it's a 1969 Glastron / Carlson. (Red circle in upper right of picture.) Might also have a small " G " on sides of stern by "Carlson" emblems.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 01:40:41 PM »
The effort and cost to paint your boat could be more then the value of boat / motor / trailer.
Price of some Challengers range from $500 to about $1500.

1968 glastron carlson challenger / ND / $800
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/378586960026790/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined

Comes with 150hp mariner engine. Boats needs seats and control box. Has trim and tilt.
Engine runs! Asking $800. No trades
Downsizing to make room.