Author Topic: Taking a CVX-20 off the trailer - making a cradle?  (Read 4243 times)

Offline Auke_scimitar

• 1979 Glastron Carlson CVX-20 DeLuxe
    • Classic Glastron Owners on Facebook
Taking a CVX-20 off the trailer - making a cradle?
« on: February 03, 2012, 02:37:37 AM »
Hi all, planning to take my CVX-20 off the trailer to have it made suitable for European roads (read laws). I want to store the boat for the period on some brackets/cradle and wonder if anybody has experience with this, and where to place them for the best support of the hull. And by any chance does anybody who has the experience also have the measurements for them to make them? Much appreciated!

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:41:38 PM by Hyperacme »
1979 Glastron Carlson CVX-20 DeLuxe
https://www.facebook.com/groups/classicglastron/

Offline CVX Fever

Re: Taking a CVX-20 off the trailer - making a cradle?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 02:55:40 PM »
My donor boat is a 20' and is sitting on a cradle. The cradle is placed underneath motor/transom. That's where you want the support. The bow is blocked up at one point on the keel. I'll be at my cabin this weekend and could take some pictures and measurements for you if you like. 

1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline Hotwired

• The Ship
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 08:02:20 PM »
We used to store boats on firewood rounds at the marina years back  Support the transom high enough to stay above ground with the keel and then a third block under the keel about under the font seat area.  If you have a roller trailer it is rather easy.  Bunk trailer take some work.

If you want to build a rolling cradle ... do something like gill did over on the CGOA web site.  I would suggest using 2 full length stringers vs the short blocks though.  Makes loading and unloading the boat a lot easier.

http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2209&start=180
.. it is what it is ... and that is how it should be!
Miss Mayberry - 1964 Saberflite
The Ship - 1979 CV-27
Canon Ball Eyes - 1976 CV-16ssV8
Da ProJect Bote - 1977 CV-23
It Is What It Is...... CVX20

Offline Retro Performance

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 08:03:48 PM »
We use these carts for glass or aluminum hulls, basically just 2x6" or 2x8" about 12 feet long and carpeted. supports the hull about the same as Trailer bunks. We also often "three point" boats at shows to get them close to the ground, concrete blocks with a wood block on each rear corner and one block/wood or just wood under keel forward. this is quite stable as we have salesmen and customers entering and exiting the boats while three pointed.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:43:55 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline GIL_CV21

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 07:36:37 AM »
We used to store boats on firewood rounds at the marina years back  Support the transom high enough to stay above ground with the keel and then a third block under the keel about under the font seat area.  If you have a roller trailer it is rather easy.  Bunk trailer take some work.

If you want to build a rolling cradle ... do something like gill did over on the CGOA web site.  I would suggest using 2 full length stringers vs the short blocks though.  Makes loading and unloading the boat a lot easier.

http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2209&start=180

I changed the short rear blocks to upright 2x4's just so i would have a bit more room under the boat  , you might have to beef up the wood on the cradle because of it being a complete boat ,  i used 2x6's . When i get the beast done, i'm hoping i can modify it with full length bunks to use it to store the boat indoors during the winter . Gil 
   P.S those caster wheels are rated for 750 pounds a piece , picked them up at Harbor Freight for $18 bucks a piece

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 01:57:22 PM »
Ever read Friscoboater's rebuild thread on his Glastron?  Check out this page, and the next one for the cradle he made...probably overkill, but looks really stable, and you can move the boat around.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=358277&page=2&highlight=cradle
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 06:30:58 PM »
Auke - This cradle measures about 18" wide, 40" long and 20" high. It is made out of 2"  steel angle. It looks small but is very stable. I had a trailer w/urethane rollers so it came right off with the help of a chain and a big tree. Bunks will be more of a challenge.  

1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline Auke_scimitar

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 04:52:17 AM »
Hey Guys,

Super thanks! Makes me more confident and knowledgeable on how the hull will be supported correctly for the time being. Will post some pics once it's off the trailer. Can't wait!

Offline Auke_scimitar

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 05:03:18 AM »
Cleaned the dash a bit in the meantime :) and bought a new Cole Hersee 4 Pos Starter Switch, Sea-Dog Universal Kill Switch, and a Perko 8501DP Marine Battery Selector Switch. The switch seems to be a bit buggy and I feel safer with a separate contact position for the radio and amp. Going to figure out how to wire the kill switch next.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:45:36 PM by Hyperacme »