Author Topic: Refinancing  (Read 3379 times)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
Refinancing
« on: February 14, 2012, 03:08:49 PM »
Anyone want to recommend someone that can help me with refinancing? Not sure if it matters but I live in WI.

The rates are crazy low right now. 3.875 30yr Fixed!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline WetRaider

Re: Refinancing
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 03:31:44 PM »
Jason -

I would start with your long-time banker ... even if it's a big national bank, like Wells Fargo.  They can see how long you've held your account there and how much you deposit monthly, etc.  They'd hate to lose you as a customer if they can't help you out where you need it (especially if it's a service they actively market).  If you have access to USAA, they'll be happy to help you refinance, but they won't service your loan very long ... at least they didn't use to.  Personally, I prefer smaller, local lenders.  They tend to keep and service the loans as long as you own them. 

The rates are low through just about everyone, but watch your points and fees.  "Points" will be a prepaid interest rate ... say you qualify for 3.99% on $200,000, but they have 1.25 points in addition to the new closing fees.  You'll pay $2,500 in points up front, plus the closing fees ... this is a way for some lenders to keep rates low and competitive but still make money.  For some people who may be at or under 5.5%, it doesn't make sense to refinance ... they might get a slightly lower monthly payment at the expense of a large settlement fee & over the remainder of the balance they owe still have paid out the same. 

On our house, we chose the higher interest rate with zero points ... the higher rate was still only 4.75 and we applied the extra money to the down payment, instead of pre-payment of fees ... so we're paying a slightly higher rate on a smaller total sum.  With a few planned extra payments, we'll have achieved the equivalent of the lower rate without having paid the "points."

If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 03:36:28 PM »
Jason, I do not know an easy way to find the best lender. I would start by contacting your present lender to see what your options are. They may be able to save you money because they already know you and have appraised the house you live in and have your payment history on your present loan. Try the big lenders - TCF, Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Morgan. Then use the internet, typing in "refinance Wisconsin mortgage" and all sorts of names will come up that you can call. Is there a prepayment penalty for refinancing on your present mortgage? Consider the total cost to refinance - there are alot of charges and maybe also points - a percentage of the new mortgage amount. If you refinance, you should be committed to saying in your house for a number of years to spread the refinance costs over those years to offset the interest expense savings. Here are some internet connections:

http://www.mortgageloan.com/Rates/Wisconsin/

http://www.zillow.com/mortgage-rates/wi/#
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline carlsoncvx18

• Donate members
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 04:39:09 PM »
Jason

I called my current lender refi with no points and very minimal closing cost 6mo ago with a interest rate at 3.875 on a 15yr.  The lower number of years did not add that much to my current payment but lowered my payoff buy 9yrs over my previous loan. Call them they should want to keep you, but also shop around, the rules have changed.  The major problem is finding comp sales.
1987 CVX18.     1968 Glastron alpha sail boat
1977 GT150
1986 CV23
1984 Intimiadator
1981 CV27
1969 V-180 fundeck

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 05:15:40 PM »
I have a friend of mine that I have used He has done my rental, my brothers, and my neighbors house refi's His name is Nick Brownell number is 952-405-7734 I don't know if it makes a difference that you are in WI but give him a call i am sure he will no someone if he cant do it
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 09:42:08 AM »
Thanks for all the help guys. It is tuff to hammer this all out. I am looking at shortening the legth of the loan and lowering the rate at Jeff did. I am more looking for a "fair" lender that is not going to run up all the fees and points maximizing their profits. I understand people need to make money but I don't want to get taken advantage of. I have already got some number from my existing lender.

Shawn, I think I might contact your friend.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 02:54:28 PM »
I paid very little to close and my brother got a check back at closing. He lowered his rate and shortened his term.
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline Gotesh

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 12:42:30 PM »
One thing to watch for is they may not escrow your insurance and property taxes.  The new mortgage  company (the same as the old one for me) didn't mention that at all when they showed me the huge savings I would have.  After some "Hey, what's going on?" letters from the taxman and insurance agent, I looked at the papers again.  Ooops.  It's still some good savings though.