Author Topic: My "72" CV16 Restoration  (Read 16297 times)

Offline wpstarling

Re: My "72" CV16 Restoration
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2018, 08:59:20 AM »
Go to the back of the boat and the serial number will be stamped into the hull; the last two digits should give you the year the hull was made. What does it say?
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=5298.0

There's nothing on the back that I can see.  The transom was replaced so maybe whoever did that work covered it up, or I could be missing it, is it port or starboard side?
1972 Glastron-Carlson CV16

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2018, 10:19:16 AM »
That is very interesting .. The piece with your number is a data plate.
It didn't match up with a plate from a 1972 G/C CV21 plate, but could be from a Glastron ?
Maybe … I don't have any Glastron plates saved, so not sure.

First picture is a 1971 CV16 data plate.
Second picture is a 1972 CV21 that I clipped picture (4-21dp2)
Third picture is your number.
Forth is clipped 72 CV21 data plate, didn't line up right

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2018, 10:32:01 AM »
First picture is a 1972 CV16 data plate .. Looks like it was a separate piece. I would think your is original.
Was it just set in there, glued ?  Taped ?  Can you take a picture of back side ?

Dave (1972 CV16) and Jason (1974 CV16SS) found tags glassed in around the piece of wood behind dash.
Look around to see if you might have one, think they said it was near side of hull tabbing.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2018, 10:35:19 AM »
You could see SN right side just below rub rail.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2018, 10:52:06 AM »
When they replaced floor they must have added the extra short side stringers.
Pretty sure G/C never did three stringers.
Was floor done well, tabbed in, covered with glass ? Do you think they did a good job, aside from not sealing bottom of wood ?
Are stringers still solid ?
Second picture is my hull, which has a crack along right side chine.

Offline wpstarling

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2018, 11:34:00 AM »
There's no number on the starboard side of my transom.  Could be that whoever repaired transom glassed over or something like that.  I will have to get under the dash to look for the tag under there.

Honestly the stringers are in great condition.  They are solid throughout and i didn't find a single section that was soft so it looks like they were done well.  I need to still tear a little bit out of the front and back floor where the main stringer is but the part i can see/feel was dry so we'll see what it looks like when I'm done removing the rest of the floow.  Outside of the bottom of the floor not being glassed over the rest of it was done well, definitely not the persons first attempt at fiberglass.

Also the SN piece was glued to the back originally but once I took the plate off the glue didn't hold very long so it looked original but I just didn't know.  Seemed odd to me. 

Another thing, I think the boat was originally an orange.  The current red is obviously a roll on job over the blue, which had no flake in it and in some places the blue is peeling off and showing a copper/orange/gold color.  I think I am going to end up doing a lot of sanding to get all the coats off.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2018, 12:33:54 PM »
So the original color is apricot ?  Maybe the two coats of paint are filling letters and numbers of SN ?
Hope they didn't fill in SN because something "fishy" was going on …

Sometimes people paint boats because they don't like the color, others think because gel / flake is cloudy and dull it shot.  Your flake might still be OK. Being painted would keep it from fading any more then it was before being painted.
Remove old paint on deck and see how bad it is. You could get lucky and it just needs some wet sanding /compound and it'll shine like new. Some have used paint remover, brush it on, wait awhile, scrap it off with plastic scraper. Hope some one comments on which brand to use.

That a good sign that floor was done well. so maybe the transom was also well done.

I know you wanted blue, but apricot is a very cool color, my favorite .. Check out Dave's (Oldfishguy) CV pictures ..

Offline wpstarling

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2018, 12:43:35 PM »
yea it very well could have been filled in by paint but I looked over it pretty well and didn't see any indentations.  I think it may be apricot but part of the white in your pictures is peeling and that also has the gold/orange color so I have no idea what the true color was.  I'm going to work on sanding the deck after I get the floor removed to see it's condition and to see if I can save the original gel or not, that's obviously cheaper but i'll assess it after some sanding.

I'm hoping the transom was done well, it looks pretty good, although there's a weird plug looking thing next to the drain plug, i'll take a picture and see if you guys know what it is, it doesn't go all the way through the transom but it's near the drain hole on the port side.

I actually don't mind any color, my wife wants orange after seeing fireman's cv-23 that he restored.  I like the way it looks on a boat (even if I'm a Florida State fan and all of our rivals have orange as one of their school colors lol).  I just want it to stand out, so either refresh the original gel or paint it with some flake :)

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2018, 01:45:21 PM »
Mine has a bow mounted fuel tank with copper line running back to splash well, wrapped around copper line is a wire that runs down to ground thingy mounted to outside of transom. Is that what your seeing ? Your doesn't have bow tank though. 
Or ..
Drain for hull, because he didn't have hole that would drain hull into bilge bowl.

Offline wpstarling

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2018, 01:50:22 PM »
so it looks like that but it doesn't go through the transom.  Just looks like it's bolted to the outside of the transom.  I do have a bow mounted tank, someone must have put it in cause it's definitely not factory.  I'll try to take pictures of it later.  It's not a huge deal if I can't figure it out, I'm just a fan of not having stuff on the transom that's unnecessary. 

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2018, 02:22:08 PM »
Agreed .. My transom had wood rot from a speedo pilot tube mounts not being sealed and water got in and rotted wood down from mount hole over to drain hole. I could remove rotted wood with my fingers it was so bad, just like wood behind left side of my floatation foam box.

The 1970 and 1971 CV's had flake like pictures below .. Thin flake strip running up to bow.
1972 and later had flake running to bow and bow was flake. All were color of flake and white. Latter models might have been listed as "Sand" for the white color, but were very close to same.

The 1972 CV16 also came in gold, see quite a few CV16SS in gold but not many outboards in gold.
Ray's got a gold one ..

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2018, 02:26:01 PM »
Ray's 1972 Gold CV16.
Would be very cool if yours was gold !

Offline wpstarling

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2018, 06:32:27 AM »
So i was mistaken, the plug does go through the transom so I'm wondering if it's like yours Gregg and is something to do with the fuel tank (see 1st and 2nd pictures).

The last 2 pictures are of what I think could be the original color(s).  You can see behind the white is a goldish color but behind the red and blue is the orange color.  Think I'll have to sand them down to truly figure it out.

Also closely inspected the transom area and there's definitely no numbers there.  Will have to remove the piece of wood a PO placed under dash for support to check if there's any tag glassed in under there.

Bill

Offline rayar3

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2018, 07:19:00 AM »
The data plate on your 72 is correct. I own both a 72 and 73. My 73 doesn’t have a dash plate, but it does have a HIN on the transom and the 72 does not. Didn’t know they cut up another plate to stamp the numbers, though! Carlson ingenuity. I wonder if they also got the wood used in the hulls from the pallets of fiberglass supplies, lol!
Ray

1973 CV-16

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2018, 09:57:59 AM »
Might have had a fuel tank mounted under splash well and grounded thru hull ?
Also might have been painted blue and gold at one time … YUCK !

Apricot's a cool color .. Bryon has / had a red CV with bad flake, so he tinted some clear with red and it came out pretty good.
Saved doing an entire re-paint or flake/gel.

Don't think your has HIN in stern.

Ray .. Could have been pallet wood for stringers, but where did they get the wood for transom ?   … LOL
All CV16SS would have had grounding anodes, did even early CV16's have them ?

Offline wpstarling

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2018, 02:56:41 PM »
hey guys, was removing the windshield as part of my tear down and the nuts were rusted to the bolts so the bolts broke on one of the mounts.  I can't find these things anywhere online.  Can one of y'all help?  It's the piece the arrows pointing to in the pic

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2018, 03:55:00 PM »
Mine are stainless steel studs (I'm assuming because they were not rusted) screwed into aluminum trim pieces (part you pictured).
I think ...
Did you get the old one out of trim piece ?
I'll ask Ray ...

Offline wpstarling

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2018, 03:57:00 PM »
hmm, maybe mine were studs too but I will check, it didn't look like it.  I've got a few more things to take off before getting to the grinding of old fiberglass to start the floor replacement.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2018, 04:06:50 PM »
I know mine were SS studs.
Pretty sure original.
Ray looking at his.

Offline wpstarling

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2018, 04:13:05 PM »
Yep you're right they are studs, just couldn't see it easily with rust and corrosion.

Tried to take a picture but I couldn't get it. Did you replace the studs or switch to bolts?