Author Topic: Wire corrosion  (Read 2163 times)

Offline pyro225

Wire corrosion
« on: November 16, 2017, 06:23:53 PM »
Hi friends...

Another strange question - my boat when I received it had speakers... however they did not work upon close inspection the copper wires going to the cone had gone turquoise and disintegrated- the wires to the back of the speakers had done the same. The ground to the gauges was weak so I ran i new ground and it’s better but now some instrument gauges are playing up again - is there a test I can do to check if the wire is any good? Ideally I’d buy a new harness but they aren’t cheap!

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rwells

Re: Wire corrosion
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 07:59:20 PM »
If you have an ohmmeter you can check the resistance level for any of the wires. Copper wires turn lite green when they are corroded, it not a good thing but it usually only happens towards the stipped end and a bit back into the insulation. If you have excess wire you should be able to cut some back and stip it again to get to fresh copper. You can use some dielectric grease on the new connection but only after it is connected, the dielectric grease will prevent corrosion but it will also prevent conductivity, so only put in on after the connection is made, or you can shrink wrap the connection, be sure to get shrink wrap with glue on the inside to make a waterproof seal.