Author Topic: A man-to-man talk  (Read 4425 times)

Offline Jerry

A man-to-man talk
« on: February 10, 2011, 11:44:34 AM »
I know you have all heard this story before, but you?re going to hear it again from me, because I want us all to be around here next year.

I went in last Friday and had a Colonoscopy.  After a day of ?flushing out? and nothing but water and juice, they blew me up like a Macy?s Thanksgiving Day Parade Balloon, and took a peek.  They removed one polyp. But said it looked OK.  Yesterday I got a call from the Dr. that did the colonoscopy.  He said there was no Cancer (whew), but it was the type of polyp that can become malignant and grow back. I have to have another one in 6 months to make sure it isn?t coming back.

There?s a million ways to die, but Colon Cancer is one of the ugliest.  I have a couple friends that drag bags around with them, and we went through the really ugly part with our friend Bruce. I dodged the bullet because I caught it in time, and will stay on top of it now that I know I may have a problem. I hope this gets you to have a talk with your Doctor. Colon Cancer is preventable but you have to do it.  Get it done!!

I wish I had a picture, but you're going to have to use your imagination.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 03:36:49 PM by Jerry »
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
Re: A man-to-man talk
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 12:20:07 PM »
You sure don't hold anything back Jerry!

Wow!

ummmmmmmmmmm yeaaaaa

I see your point and it's a good one...........Maybe it could been said with less words?????????
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline V153

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 08:02:36 PM »
Ah c'mon Jason. We should be able to discuss our colon freely amongst friends?

I agree it's a terrible way to go Jerry. Seen it happen to a neighbors wife recently. Heartbreaking.

If only the Docs could invent a lil less intrusive method of testing maybe more people would line up. Speaking from experience it'd be a whole lot better if what feels like the Hubble telescope wasn't involved ...

Good news is there's a black Labrador that can sniff out colo-rectal cancer. Damn dog has like a 90%+ accuracy rating!? That's way better'n most doctors. Go figure ...
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 09:32:18 AM »
Good advice Jerry. I had my first a couple of years ago (had it a bit early) and they found one and removed it, so even at 50ish, there might be something growing in there. Kinda cool watching it on the camera. Had a lasso type thing and they grabbed it and detached it by burning it I guess. Not cancer, thankfully. Once they find one, you need to have them more often, at least at first. So I had a second one about 2 years ago and clean as a whistle and I dont think I need another for 5 or 10 years. I dont remember.
For all the "virgins"...at least for me, the "prep" is by far the worst part! I wont go into too much detail but dont plan on going to work during that time and dont stray too far from a toilet, coffee can or some other suitable container.
The second one was worse for some reason. Partly because there was the Doc and an intern. Could have done without the exta spectator. Also hurt a bit as they navigated corners, poking the sides which is the dangerous part. They can perferate things that way. Maybe the anesthesia was better the first time.
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 09:39:30 AM »
Sometimes I think doctors earn every penny. Think of it from their viewpoint...literally.  :P
I saw a bit on a comedy show where they highlighted this procedure and they had romantic music playing etc. Maybe candle light too. Quite funny. ;D
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 09:50:02 AM »

Offline Burnin Daylight

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 05:27:46 PM »
Jerry is right prevention and early detection is the key.  My sister had never had a colonoscopy and at 59 she had her first.  It detected a very rare and aggressive type of cancer.  She went through radiation and chemo and in the end had to have a colostomy.  She is doing OK now, but it was tough there for a while.  She says that she came to the conclusion that she could live with a hole in her stomach or die with a hole in her rear.
Sooooo you guys need to make sure that you spread the word to all of your loved ones about the importance of the colonoscopy and early detection of these types of diseases.   And yes it is a family history now so I am in there every 2 years getting myself checked out.
1981 INTIMIDATOR  "BURNIN DAYLIGHT"
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline V153

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 05:33:30 PM »
So ... the guy's waiting in the proctologists examination room where he notices rubber gloves, lubricant, and a can of beer. When the Doc comes in the patient says I recognize the gloves & the lube, what's up with this can of beer? Doc looks down at it, sighs & shakes his head. He leans out the door & hollers, Dammit nurse I said bring me a "butt light ...!"

Oh well what're ya gonna do. Guess my favorite part is when they bend you over the kneeling contraption thingy that looks like it was designed by a sadistic barber. Then jack your rear end up high enough to where they can get a good look at it. Kinda like a carnival ride ...

Ah don't be so shy Ross. During my last 'procedure' the gallery was overflowing. Think they even brought in a couple people off the street ...  Their discussion got so carried away at times I had to remind them that I was still attatched ...

But seriously folks. Get a routine check-up. As uncomfortable and intrusive as it might seem, it beats the alternative.    
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline Laine73GT160

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 10:08:58 PM »
I DEFFENETLY VOAT FOR PREVENTION, AND THIS TEST IS EASY.

The prep is the worst part.  Please follow the directions there usually easy to follow, they seem strange but it is important the diet is specific to food textures and food colors.  Usually a diet of certain foods for a day or two, than drink the two nasty tasting large bottles of fluid the (bowel prep) with in a time limit.  Plan most of the next day in the bathroom. You will empty!  And if you think you are done (wrong you will be running back to the bathroom).  I recommend having all your boating magazines in the bathroom.  Ask for the test the first available the next day.  The test is the easy part, you listen to music, look up at the nurse, feel warm and comfortable next thing you will know it?s done.  A cocktail of IV versed and fentanly and you will have no pain or memory of the morning.  I had my first one at age 48, I brought my own CD of music.  Nice trip, I asked the nurse when they were going to start and she laughed; it was 90 minutes later as she said they were done.  Some patients have gas for a day.  I had none.  I was hungry and treated myself to a lot of good food that day.  Did not even know I had the test, no side effects even with multiple biopsies (all negative).

Be smart follow the directions.  Think about it! If you are going to go through this test you want the Dr to have a clear view with the camera.  I have seen hundreds, a bad prep and you can guess what the camera shows (a bad prep looks like a photograph of the bottom of a muddy lake with Bayliners sticking out here and there).  It can add a lot of time, and the DR may not get a good look.

Everyone should have one for their 50th birthday.  It is an easy test.  A quick look can save you years of the slowest most painful death.

I have found other things to do for work, but there is still someone out there to give you the drugs, I can?t promise they will play Jimmie Hendrix for you like I would have.  I have awards for the happiest patients with the safety of the least amount of drugs.

HAVE THE TEST