Author Topic: Glastron ssv-151  (Read 4176 times)

Offline Mrfunktastic

Glastron ssv-151
« on: October 24, 2017, 08:22:25 PM »
Wanted to say Hi. I live in Florida and have always like the style of glastron boats. I owned and rebuilt a glastron gt150 years ago. Put stringers, transom and floor in it and painted it tangerine orange. Sadly I had to sell it because I fell on hard times. I regretted ever selling it.

Told my wife I wanted to get a Glastron bow rider and she told me when I find a free boat I can have one. She hates it when I get projects. Lol. So I kept looking on craigslist for about 4 years and found one on there for free just last week. I rushed over and picked it up asap. I was so excited. It is a 1982 Glastron ssv 151 bow rider. Im going to pull the cap off and replace the floor and transom because there is a few spots that are soft. Figured instead of just patching it up Im going to just rip it all out and go with complete new everything so I dont have to worry about.

The only outboard I have at the moment is an evinrude 150. The boat says the max hp is a 90hp but should be fine. I have a trailer that fits it just sitting around so have a complete setup for it.

Anyways just wanted to say Hi. New member. Thanks for a great forum and information.

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: Glastron ssv-151
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 08:18:28 AM »
Welcome to the forum Mrfunktastic !

Joe did a rebuild on a 1983 SSV151 here ...
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=5193.0

That's a pretty small boat for a V6 150 HP motor ...

Offline Mrfunktastic

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 10:43:11 PM »
Thanks for the link. Thats just the information I have been looking for. I will have to think long and hard about the 150 on the boat. I have seen a mercury 115  on one. It seemed ok and handled well. If it handles bad or dangerous I will just trade down if I have to. I looked at weight of a 90hp to 150 hp and I think the 90 is like 50 to 100 lbs lighter. Not to bad. It would have no problem getting up on plane. Lol

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 08:29:41 AM »
Its more about reinforcing the transom to handle all the extra weight and forces its going to exert on the transom and hull...you obviously just don't hammer it or even go full throttle if the boat gets squirrelly at certain speeds, etc.
1990 Sierra 1700

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 09:47:43 AM »
What year is your motor ?

Evinrude / Johnson V6 outboard engine history
http://www.sterndrive.info/outboardmotor/engine_history.html

History of Johnson/Evinrude V4 Outboards
http://www.glmmarine.com/HistoryJohnEvinV4.html

Merc L6's and L4 were about 290 to 340 lbs.
J/E V4's were about the same.

Offline Mrfunktastic

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 11:07:47 PM »
Yes sir im going to reinforce the transom while I have it tore down for sure. I think its a 1989 evinrude. I bought it 4 years ago and been itching to put it on something.